• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Today's Contemporary Jazz Playlist

A friend of mine is into DUTCH Jazz. As you may know, the Dutch love Jazz, and the country is ripe with contemporary Jazz artists.

One of them;

Maaike den Dunnen, a Dutch Singer, Songwriter and Jazz musician.




=========================================================================

Next up, I will be listening to her album "INNER SPACE" That my friend shared with me via FLAC transfer.

61so5OxF-HL._SY355_.jpg
 
Yeah, as soon as I saw the title I knew it would eventually become 'his' thread, lol

LoL,
Let me confess, it's me who requested Billy Batts for opening a thread on contemporary jazz.

I am from Bangladesh and relatively new in jazz. Still, I do love classic jazz and for the last ten years, I have been intensively listening to jazz especially the 30s-60s jazz and in Today's Jazz Thread I have posted 8666 posts mostly on classic jazz till to date. I started posting in the old jazz thread from January 2012 and over the years I feel most of the active participants of the thread are focused on classic old jazz, they don't appreciate new jazz and new artists much. This is my very personal observation. I have a digital library of 27000+ albums and around 90% on jazz. I have listened enough to classic jazz so far and would like to explore new jazz more. I feel a new thread on contemporary jazz would be more convenient for exploring and appreciating new jazz.

I appreciate having all in one place but sadly it is not working for me now, I am tired of seeing the same albums time and again over the years. I am now 58 but still, I have thirst for new music, I often explore world music along with jazz, that's why I requested Billy for opening this thread just give more emphasize on jazz beyond the 30s -60s.
 
R-12314357-1532754573-6218.jpeg.jpg

Jamison Ross - All For One

Jamison Ross' sophomore full-length album, 2018's All for One, is a joyous and heartfelt production that builds nicely upon his eclectic, Grammy-nominated 2015 debut. The album also still finds him doing double duty, singing and playing drums; the latter talent being the one that earned him a first place win at the 25th annual Thelonious Monk International Jazz Competition in 2012. Certainly, Ross holds his own as a drummer here, largely eschewing flamboyant displays of technique in favor of supplying steady rhythms and nuanced brush work. However, as with his debut, All for One is primarily a showcase for his highly resonant and soulful vocals. Ross grew up singing in church, and his music reflects this robust, spiritual influence. Joining him again is essentially the same outfit who recorded his debut, including guitarist Rick Lollar, pianist Chris Pattishall, organ player Cory Irvin, and bassist Barry Stephenson. Together, they play a vibrant combination of jazz, gospel, and R&B. There's also an added New Orleans funk-and-blues flavor as evidenced by the lively, party-ready opening track "A Mellow Good Time." Originally penned by Allen Toussaint for Lee Dorsey, the song works here as Ross' mission statement; a proclamation of the goodness to come. It's a vibe they return to throughout the album, with Lollar's twangy guitar licks and Irvin's juicy organ patterns supplying a tasty stew for Ross to play with, both as a vocalist and a drummer. Elsewhere, tracks like "Safe in the Arms of Love" and "Call Me" are sophisticated, groove-oriented anthems that bring to mind the classic style of artists like Al Jarreau, Stevie Wonder, and George Benson. Similarly, Ross finds his own distinct route through standards like the romantic "Don't Go to Strangers," "My Ship," and the swinging, poetic Mose Allison number "Everybody's Cryin' Mercy." There's also a deeper, more personal feeling to many of the songs here, as if Ross is truly trying to connect on a one-on-one level with the listener. It's a feeling he most potently conveys when looking inward, as he does when addressing his daughter on the sweetly poignant, folk-inflected ballad "Away." He sings "And every time I leave you with a kiss goodbye, you say 'Bye, Bye, Daddy.'/It makes me want to cry." It's these personal, yet universally relatable touches, combined with Ross' and his bandmates' warm sense of jazz-informed interplay, that help ground All for One. Consequently, Ross has crafted an album that feels both wondrously virtuosic and tangibly intimate.
https://www.allmusic.com/album/all-for-one-mw0003129161
 
I guess I'm interpreting the meaning of "contemporary" as loosely something like "released after 1980 or made by musicians who began recording after 1980". It may be an interesting point about jazz listeners that they could consider a period as long as the last 40 years to be "contemporary". ;)

Having said that . . .

Carl Allen -- The Pursuer (1994)

Vincent Herring, Teodross Avery, Marcus Printup, Ed Simon, Ben Wolfe, George Coleman, Steve Turre

allen carl the pursuer.png

I like this album a lot, and it gets played regularly in my house. I came across a review of it somewhere which said that "could have been released in 1967", which I think was intended as a bit of a knock, or at least a back-handed compliment, but I think it's just a compliment, period.
 
Last edited:
A friend of mine is into DUTCH Jazz. As you may know, the Dutch love Jazz, and the country is ripe with contemporary Jazz artists.

One of them;

Maaike den Dunnen, a Dutch Singer, Songwriter and Jazz musician.




=========================================================================

Next up, I will be listening to her album "INNER SPACE" That my friend shared with me via FLAC transfer.

61so5OxF-HL._SY355_.jpg

Nice pick!
I don't have her any albums in my library :no:
 
I guess I'm interpreting the meaning of "contemporary" as loosely something like "released after 1980 or made by musicians who began recording after 1980". It may be an interesting point about jazz listeners that they could consider a period as long as the last 40 years to be "contemporary". ;)

Having said that . . .

Carl Allen -- The Pursuer (1994)

Vincent Herring, Teodross Avery, Marcus Printup, Ed Simon, Ben Wolfe, George Coleman, Steve Turre

View attachment 1755618

I like this album a lot, and it gets played regularly in my house. I came across a review of it somewhere which said that "could have been released in 1967", which I think was intended as a bit of a knock, or at least a back-handed compliment, but I think it's just a compliment, period.

V2KeQaA.png

Listening to the album after a long while. Thanks for posting.

//It may be an interesting point about jazz listeners that they could consider a period as long as the last 40 years to be "contemporary".// ..... good point.
 
Something new for me. @chicks got me looking through archives for contemporary FRENCH Jazz Artists. Raquel is actually from Morocco, but her French is perfect, and her voice lends itself well to French "Cafe' Jazz. So far (two songs in), I give it a :thumbsup: if you like French Jazz.
Raquel Bitton - In a Jazzy Mood

She is nice, now listening to her popular album.
Thanks for posting her album.

500x500.jpg
 
Ezra Collective: You Can’t Steal My Joy review – a celebration of jazz’s diversity
4 / 5 stars4 out of 5 stars.


Ammar Kalia

1098.jpg

Ezra Collective – a joyous listen.
Joy is a term readily associated with London jazz quintet Ezra Collective. Establishing themselves in recent years as central to the burgeoning London jazz scene through energetic live sets led by powerhouse band-leader Femi Koleoso, their self-released EPs – 2016’s Chapter 7 and 2017’s Juan Pablo: The Philosopher – have opened the genre up to younger and more diverse audiences attracted by their blend of afrobeat, hip-hop and soul improvisations.The release of their long-awaited debut LP continues this jazz-fusion narrative, opening with spiritual jazz classic Space Is the Place before moving on to the meditative piano of Philosopher II and neo-soul inflected rap of Loyle Carner-feature What Am I To Do?

While this generic meandering might seem jarring, Ezra Collective make it part of their ethos – a patchwork celebration of jazz’s enduring diversity. The collective’s strengths come in its longstanding telepathic musicianship with highlights on jazz-leaning instrumentals such as King of the Jungle and Shakara, featuring Kokoroko. The record is a joyous listen, which will only be enhanced on their forthcoming tour, and a confident assertion of Ezra Collective breaking out of the once-restrictive jazz enclave.

RoonShareImage-637166463459182510.png
 
Back
Top Bottom