• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Today's Contemporary Jazz Playlist

R-5630315-1446262998-4862.jpeg.jpg
 
Afternoon friends, I have been very graciously been given a link over here to the contemporary jazz page that our own BBats has started. What exactly are the "contemporary" rules, I mean what is the cut of date for "oldest"? I know I'm a bit of a moldy fig, but I know I've some 70-current stuff floating around. I'll just make sure it's on the correct list.
BTW: Good to see some new material.
 
View attachment 1755155


Have you tried TSF Jazz? Pretty decent Paris jazz radio station.

Yes I have. But honestly, I had forgotten about it until you just reminded me. I'll hop on over there today and give a listen. I remember liking that station very much. I was on a worldwide streaming kick about 5 years ago and listened to London, Milan, Rome, Paris, Madrid and a few other European radio Jazz stations. Thanks for mentioning TSF Jazz. It had totally slipped my mind.
 
Aloha!

A few of us on the great AK Jazz Playlist were batting the ball around regarding starting a CONTEMPORARY Jazz Playlist as a subset of all the great Jazz posted on the generic thread.
So here we go.

The focus of this thread will be CONTEMPORARY Jazz. Worldwide. Living or recent Jazz offerings from contemporary artists. Let the new Jazz fly gents.

Mahalo!
Great idea for a thread! I woulda thought there was already one running. We have plenty of 'contemporary' jazz fans here.
As you kinda know, I'm NOT the biggest contemporary fan, lol. Not because I don't like it, I just find for my taste it's harder to find the stuff that has that 'it' factor for me vs. say stabbing in the dark with BN, Prestige, Bethlehem, Riverside, or Contemporary Records(heh heh).
I do try and sample as much newer stuff as I can, though, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I've already noticed quite a few titles posted that I already dig.
 
Afternoon friends, I have been very graciously been given a link over here to the contemporary jazz page that our own BBats has started. What exactly are the "contemporary" rules, I mean what is the cut of date for "oldest"? I know I'm a bit of a moldy fig, but I know I've some 70-current stuff floating around. I'll just make sure it's on the correct list.
BTW: Good to see some new material.

Aloha King. No set-in-stone rules based on DATE. Contemporary artists - meaning LIVING Jazz artists or RECENTLY deceased with fairly recent albums is the "target", but we are all friends here. No one is going to be upset because someone posted a fringe album that is marginally contemporary. I personally tend to focus more on the newest wave of newer artists like Aaron Diehl, Joey Alexander and Christian McBride (just to random sample some newer contemporary Jazz artists). But there are hundreds of worldwide artists and even some old school guys that are STILL producing good contemporary Jazz like John Scofield.

So have at it. Enjoy.
 
Great idea for a thread! I woulda thought there was already one running. We have plenty of 'contemporary' jazz fans here.
As you kinda know, I'm NOT the biggest contemporary fan, lol. Not because I don't like it, I just find for my taste it's harder to find the stuff that has that 'it' factor for me vs. say stabbing in the dark with BN, Prestige, Bethlehem, Riverside, or Contemporary Records(heh heh).
I do try and sample as much newer stuff as I can, though, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I've already noticed quite a few titles posted that I already dig.

I know, right? I was blown away that there was NOT a Contemporary Jazz Thread. Only one I found was a UK Contemporary Jazz thread.

I love ALL Jazz, as you know, Kris. Doesn't matter to me. But it is nice to have a thread to showcase the CONTEMPORARY guys and gals.
 
I really love this one, and all of her earlier material. She kinda lost me with that album of original tunes from '09-ish. I should probably do a better job of exploring her more recent material.

It's a very good album. I too have to do a better job of exploring her more "recent" material. This thread will be good for me in that regard. On may contemporary artists.

@Asimov is going to be good for ALL of us because his digital contemporary collection is vast.
 
Something new for me. @chicks got me looking through archives for contemporary FRENCH Jazz Artists. Raquel is actually from Morocco, but her French is perfect, and her voice lends itself well to French "Cafe' Jazz. So far (two songs in), I give it a :thumbsup: if you like French Jazz.

Raquel Bitton - In a Jazzy Mood

81uyFLUyGAL._SS500_.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom