• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I have the Project Sunrise II and will attest to the way it complements my YJ TPA3116. It adds a nice bit of tube-y warmth and soundstage without detracting from the strengths of the amp.

Exactly. Hybrid is really the way to go. You get some warmth & soundstage, without compromising details and responsiveness in your music.

Come on peoples and see the light :music:
 
I have a question about preamps with the TPA 3116: I know everyone likes the tube preamps, but my (world's slowest) build is for an amplifier that I intend to use in the cabin of my boat, so 12vdc is required and I don't think boats are any place for tubes in any case. I initially intended to use the blue board with a volume control and selector switch, but I've grown concerned over comments posted here about less than ideal sound without a pre. Meanwhile, I located this and purchased it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301110279124?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

At $8.00, I figured I couldn't go wrong. My current thinking is to put it in the box and set up so that I have the option of either putting it into the mix or bypassing it and going with the passive pre option. Its greatest charm is that it is 12vdc (more unusual). I am inexperienced at diy audio and don't really understand the ramifications of what I'm doing, differences in input levels to the amp itself, etc. I expect that this will help me to learn a lot, but I'm wondering if those of you with a better understanding might have some thoughts in advance: 1) will the solid state pre be of any value to the sound quality, or just the opposite? 2) will the input level to the amp be hopelessly messed up by the pre? Additional info, I intend to use a 50k pot for volume (based on what I read here, I think) and my source will be an ipad primarily, though I hope to try other sources when the amp is off the boat. Power on the boat will be 12vdc battery; I have a 19v 6a laptop brick for home use (also another interesting experiment).
 
I have a question about preamps with the TPA 3116: I know everyone likes the tube preamps, but my (world's slowest) build is for an amplifier that I intend to use in the cabin of my boat, so 12vdc is required and I don't think boats are any place for tubes in any case. I initially intended to use the blue board with a volume control and selector switch, but I've grown concerned over comments posted here about less than ideal sound without a pre. Meanwhile, I located this and purchased it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301110279124?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

At $8.00, I figured I couldn't go wrong. My current thinking is to put it in the box and set up so that I have the option of either putting it into the mix or bypassing it and going with the passive pre option. Its greatest charm is that it is 12vdc (more unusual). I am inexperienced at diy audio and don't really understand the ramifications of what I'm doing, differences in input levels to the amp itself, etc. I expect that this will help me to learn a lot, but I'm wondering if those of you with a better understanding might have some thoughts in advance: 1) will the solid state pre be of any value to the sound quality, or just the opposite? 2) will the input level to the amp be hopelessly messed up by the pre? Additional info, I intend to use a 50k pot for volume (based on what I read here, I think) and my source will be an ipad primarily, though I hope to try other sources when the amp is off the boat. Power on the boat will be 12vdc battery; I have a 19v 6a laptop brick for home use (also another interesting experiment).

If you are okay with soldering I can recommend Rod Elliott's circuit boards. They are of excellent design and some of the best DIY audio projects around imho, with ready-made circuitboards and great instructions. This is a high quality preamp based on opamps: http://sound.westhost.com/project88.htm. Also lots of good reading material on his site. I am sure it will sound great combined with TPA3116 poweramp.
 
If you are okay with soldering I can recommend Rod Elliott's circuit boards. They are of excellent design and some of the best DIY audio projects around imho, with ready-made circuitboards and great instructions. This is a high quality preamp based on opamps: http://sound.westhost.com/project88.htm. Also lots of good reading material on his site. I am sure it will sound great combined with TPA3116 poweramp.

Only soldering I've done so far is sweating copper pipes for plumbing...but this project will require a little so I plan to learn, one way or another. The info/ skill level for your suggested link is a bit over my current ability, but what a source for future projects! Thanks. I did not see at first glance the power requirement for the preamp you referenced, but I do have that 12vdc power limitation.
 
I've been away from this thread for a while, but wanted to report that I just finished building my Blue/Black board. I have it connected to a Little Bear P-8 tube pre, and it sounds great. I'll post some pictures over the weekend, though my build hardly competes with the other builds I've seen in this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed, you've really inspired me! :banana: Happy listening! :music:
 
I finally hooked my 3116 up to my main stereo. Between a modded Marantz 1060 as preamp and Epos Epic 5 floorstanding speakers. I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The sound quality is quite good. Detailed and neutral. The bass is controlled and has a good presence. Highs are detailed without getting overly sharp or sibilant. All in all my first impression of the sound is that it's agile, quite neutral and there is plenty detail. I have not tried it with tube preamp but I can imagine how it would match nicely, because the amp is slightly on the 'clinical'/dry side. Not neccesarily to a fault but I can see how it might benefit from some tube warmth and smoothness.

What is maybe even more impressive is its power. I had expected it to be quite limited but this tiny amp goes LOUD! The volume reaches antisocial levels long before the volume control on the Marantz preamp is anywhere near 50% (its at around 35% currently and it's about as loud as I would ever need). Granted, the Epos speakers are pretty high sensitivity (92dB) but still, the power is pretty impressive for a 2x50w chip amp.
 
Last edited:
It is just luck of the draw,I got one board in 4 days once and my last order I ordered on May 8th it showed no progress and Like you i Emailed took a week to respond,he said be patient sometimes takes a while.just showed up arived in NewYprk yesterday so maybe Mon. Or Tue. I will get it. that is why it is good to note the good sellers that want to please the customer,and let the others go,

to me Customer service is #1 I sell on the bay too and I take care of my customers,and I want the same curtousy when I buy too.

Just got replay, here's their excuse;
"Estimated between Tue. Jul. 15 and Mon. Aug. 18
This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than 25 business days".

I will hurry things to get this shipped before 06.14.2014 .
:mad:

One of the worst service Ive seen on eBay so far :thumbsdn:
 
I finally hooked my 3116 up to my main stereo. Between a modded Marantz 1060 as preamp and Epos Epic 5 floorstanding speakers. I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The sound quality is quite good. Detailed and neutral. The bass is controlled and has a good presence. Highs are detailed without getting overly sharp or sibilant. All in all my first impression of the sound is that it's agile, quite neutral and there is plenty detail. I have not tried it with tube preamp but I can imagine how it would match nicely, because the amp is slightly on the 'clinical'/dry side. Not neccesarily to a fault but I can see how it might benefit from some tube warmth and smoothness.

What is maybe even more impressive is its power. I had expected it to be quite limited but this tiny amp goes LOUD! The volume reaches antisocial levels long before the volume control on the Marantz preamp is anywhere near 50% (its at around 35% currently and it's about as loud as I would ever need). Granted, the Epos speakers are pretty high sensitivity (92dB) but still, the power is pretty impressive for a 2x50w chip amp.

and all that on your unmodified b/b board! WoW great to hear that :thmbsp:
 
:thmbsp:
I have a question about preamps with the TPA 3116: I know everyone likes the tube preamps, but my (world's slowest) build is for an amplifier that I intend to use in the cabin of my boat, so 12vdc is required and I don't think boats are any place for tubes in any case. I initially intended to use the blue board with a volume control and selector switch, but I've grown concerned over comments posted here about less than ideal sound without a pre. Meanwhile, I located this and purchased it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301110279124?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

At $8.00, I figured I couldn't go wrong. My current thinking is to put it in the box and set up so that I have the option of either putting it into the mix or bypassing it and going with the passive pre option. Its greatest charm is that it is 12vdc (more unusual). I am inexperienced at diy audio and don't really understand the ramifications of what I'm doing, differences in input levels to the amp itself, etc. I expect that this will help me to learn a lot, but I'm wondering if those of you with a better understanding might have some thoughts in advance: 1) will the solid state pre be of any value to the sound quality, or just the opposite? 2) will the input level to the amp be hopelessly messed up by the pre? Additional info, I intend to use a 50k pot for volume (based on what I read here, I think) and my source will be an ipad primarily, though I hope to try other sources when the amp is off the boat. Power on the boat will be 12vdc battery; I have a 19v 6a laptop brick for home use (also another interesting experiment).
I ordered one too.. I'm running the blue/black board plugged in a windows 8 tablet...great sound but would like a little more volume sometimes,like you say 8 bucks it's worth a try.
 
Just got replay, here's their excuse;
"Estimated between Tue. Jul. 15 and Mon. Aug. 18
This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than 25 business days".

I will hurry things to get this shipped before 06.14.2014 .
:mad:

One of the worst service Ive seen on eBay so far :thumbsdn:


Well the one I have been waiting on finaly came,as a kit so I said ok gotta get the iron out,started to set the parts out and inspected the board,and wham it was the freaking 2.1 board,I ordered the 2.0 BTL assembled board even emailed before I ordered and the reply was just like in picture.Ok so I filed a case.I think A lot of these companys would do well to source out some english speaking/understanding reps.
 
Just got replay, here's their excuse;
"Estimated between Tue. Jul. 15 and Mon. Aug. 18
This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than 25 business days".

I will hurry things to get this shipped before 06.14.2014 .
:mad:

One of the worst service Ive seen on eBay so far :thumbsdn:

Handling time is the estimated time before they ship the item, isn't it? If so there is a warning in the offer on Ebay. The fact that the offer isn't there sometimes on ebay also indicates that seller isn't checking ebay dailly I think.
Seller answered your question, so could be worse:)
 
Hey, another newbie builder question - I am prepping for a black board build and thinking of throwing in a decent pot on the inputs for volume control. All of the ALPS or VALAB type of attenuators have in, out, ground for each channel. What do I connect the ground to if I am building in a wood box?
 
Handling time is the estimated time before they ship the item, isn't it? If so there is a warning in the offer on Ebay. The fact that the offer isn't there sometimes on ebay also indicates that seller isn't checking ebay dailly I think.
Seller answered your question, so could be worse:)

and your point is...?

Seller has ONE item (8pcs.) to sell only, that has listed again a week ago. Once I paid for the item got this info on order - 'Estimated delivery Monday, July 7 - Monday, July 28'

What in the world does he need now more than three weeks just to prepare the envelope and put the board in it to send is beyond me and any reasonable explanation!
Yet he's dared to answer and changed the previous 'estimated' time - whatever that means to him or anybody else.
However, one thing's for sure 'audiobah' - no more! bah :thumbsdn:
 
Thats handling time, very common on aliexpress/alibaba. When prices are sharp, profitmargin low, sellers collect orders and don't stock item themself. In Europe stores often do the same, I know for US this is unthinkable, consumers are far more powerfull there. When I lived in US for a little time I found it very amusing salespersons in shops would go out of their way to sell me something else if they did not have my desired product in stock, here in Europe they just say we will order it, but do pay now, we will give you a call in 3 weeks, which then become 6 weeks or so:)
 
Thats handling time, very common on aliexpress/alibaba. When prices are sharp, profitmargin low, sellers collect orders and don't stock item themself. In Europe stores often do the same, I know for US this is unthinkable, consumers are far more powerfull there. When I lived in US for a little time I found it very amusing salespersons in shops would go out of their way to sell me something else if they did not have my desired product in stock, here in Europe they just say we will order it, but do pay now, we will give you a call in 3 weeks, which then become 6 weeks or so:)

First of all this order and seller is not from Aliexpress.
This seller (or even producer) of the that board sells it exclusively on eBay!
But as AliExp. was mentioned - I must say - all positive experience there so far. Every seller I bought from sends within few days and offers tracking, which is not the case with many on eBay (no matter what country they're from).
Please, may I ask you to not argue anymore what is 'handling' and what is 'estimated delivery' in this case, as you're not involved in this process and sellers play-game! Thank you!
 
Last edited:
Cinch signal-shield from sourcecable to tpa amp is gnd, you attenuate input signal with the alps.

Thanks, got it. Just realized that connector has the L R and ground, so three wire.

Follow up question - what is the best pot value to use for this amp application - 10K, 50K, 100K, 250K ?
 
Back
Top Bottom