• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Transmision Line ?

Well designed TLs are big compared to similarly tuned bass reflex designs. But they do allow you to use a 6" or 8" woofer and get significant bass SPL output so that the system sounds like you have a bigger woofer. Like everything else in audio it is all about trade-offs.

I'm not sure my IMF's "trade off" anything in the Bass Department!!! They hold their own against my R107's... oh OK, the are BIG!!!! :yes:
 
I'm finding as I listen to more and more speakers, that I like my TL speakers best. Of the stuff I own, I'll put my Frieds and IMFs at the top of my heap for listening enjoyment.

That being said, as I have a very large listening room, I'd really like to hear TLs made with larger woofers. Say some 12" or even 15" woofs !
 
That being said, as I have a very large listening room, I'd really like to hear TLs made with larger woofers. Say some 12" or even 15" woofs !

You and me both!!! ;)

6%20Westminster%20Royal%20SE.jpg
 
anyone know if you would have any benefit mixing TL idea and a sealed enclosure? So it would be actually sealed but wouldnt the labyrinth greatly help to damp any back wave resonance for high excursion sub woofer in small sealed enclosure?

Does that make any sense?
 
anyone know if you would have any benefit mixing TL idea and a sealed enclosure? So it would be actually sealed but wouldnt the labyrinth greatly help to damp any back wave resonance for high excursion sub woofer in small sealed enclosure?

Does that make any sense?

I did that in the NHT 3.3. That was one of the ways I got down to 20 Hz with a 1259 woofer.

I wasn't necessarily to "damp" anything, per se; it was more like a form of EQ.

A few of the NHT "VT" towers also applied TL-like principles, both with sealed and with vented designs.

-k

BTW- Thanks again, Martin, for your help then, and your informative posts now!
 
I'm finding as I listen to more and more speakers, that I like my TL speakers best. Of the stuff I own, I'll put my Frieds and IMFs at the top of my heap for listening enjoyment.

That being said, as I have a very large listening room, I'd really like to hear TLs made with larger woofers. Say some 12" or even 15" woofs !

Agreed. I've always wondered what a large 4 inch voice coiled 12 inch or 15 inch driver (like JBL's) would be like if properly engineered for a TL loading. Heaven forbid we think about an 18" woofer as well. May have too much mass there in the cone and line.
 
I did that in the NHT 3.3. That was one of the ways I got down to 20 Hz with a 1259 woofer.

I wasn't necessarily to "damp" anything, per se; it was more like a form of EQ.

A few of the NHT "VT" towers also applied TL-like principles, both with sealed and with vented designs.

-k

BTW- Thanks again, Martin, for your help then, and your informative posts now!


cool thx ! i might try something like that with a 10'' sub... i usually use winisd to help with enclosure building ... is there a software of the like for TL design?
 
Wow - MJ King and Ken Kantor both contributing to a topic! Thank you very much, gents! :thmbsp:

Just another reason to spend some time on AK on a Friday night.
 
It was fun to reread the article by Bud Fried. Not sure it will make any friends for him because of the snotty tone -- the faux humility of admitting that he didn't go to MIT but, instead went to that other school in Cambridge -- maybe you know of it? - and the general know-it-all-ism -- but it is a thought provoking read. I started reading his news letter when I was in college in the early 70s, and am used to the bombast, so it amuses rather than bothers me, but clearly his smartest guy in the room attitude puts a lot of peoples' teeth on edge. Which is a pity since he was a significant figure in the introduction of british audio equipment and approach to the american scene, and his speakers (whether or not you think he had anything to do with the design of the IMFs, he certainly did with the Frieds) were a step up from most of the competition.
 
Agreed. I've always wondered what a large 4 inch voice coiled 12 inch or 15 inch driver (like JBL's) would be like if properly engineered for a TL loading. Heaven forbid we think about an 18" woofer as well. May have too much mass there in the cone and line.
Altec 15" in MLTL, designed using Mr. King's software:

IMG_0001-13.jpg
 
It was fun to reread the article by Bud Fried. Not sure it will make any friends for him because of the snotty tone -- the faux humility of admitting that he didn't go to MIT but, instead went to that other school in Cambridge -- maybe you know of it? - and the general know-it-all-ism -- but it is a thought provoking read. I started reading his news letter when I was in college in the early 70s, and am used to the bombast, so it amuses rather than bothers me, but clearly his smartest guy in the room attitude puts a lot of peoples' teeth on edge. Which is a pity since he was a significant figure in the introduction of british audio equipment and approach to the american scene, and his speakers (whether or not you think he had anything to do with the design of the IMFs, he certainly did with the Frieds) were a step up from most of the competition.

He was quite pleasant during the times we hung out. Life has a way of doing that to you.... :) :( .

Edit:

I just read that paper.... ouch! (Perhaps he should have chosen that other University, after all!) It seemed rather sad and self-aggrandizing, indeed. Ah well, I have written worse....

-k
 
Last edited:
He was quite pleasant during the times we hung out. Life has a way of doing that to you.... :) :( .

-k

IMHO he assumed most of his potential customers didn't know or really care about loudspeaker design.
They only wanted the best sound at an affordable price which is one of the reasons he catered to the DIY kit market.

When it came to the customers of his that came to understand his crossover and enclosure designs his attitude was a little different after a few heated debates with them.

BTW there have been some interesting loudspeaker designers that were born in PA.

I don't think Nat has any idea of what the Philly crowd is really like. :)

Another article about the man most Fried fans on the forum probably have not read below.

http://articles.philly.com/1990-03-28/food/25905530_1_speakers-sound-consumer-reports
 
IMHO he assumed most of his potential customers didn't know or really care about loudspeaker design.
They only wanted the best sound at an affordable price which is one of the reasons he catered to the DIY kit market.

When it came to the customers of his that came to understand his crossover and enclosure designs his attitude was a little different after a few heated debates with them.

BTW there have been some interesting loudspeaker designers that were born in PA.

I don't think Nat has any idea of what the Philly crowd is really like. :)

Another article about the man most Fried fans on the forum probably have not read below.

http://articles.philly.com/1990-03-28/food/25905530_1_speakers-sound-consumer-reports

Thanks... oh, I used to know Takiff... Nice guy.

I have some stories about Bud, but not for public consumption. Someday, when I feel like typing....

-k
 
OK, sm19422, I'll bite -- what is the Philly crowd like? Not sure if you mean the general Philadelphia attitude (or whatever part of Philly you take to be 'the' Philadelphia -- I'm assuming you don't mean the Quakers), or the Philadelphia audio crowd.
Either way, I'm no expert -- I spend most of my time in college on campus (not in the library studying, alas) and though I went to most of the hi end audio places, I didn't have much money, so didn't get too involved. Soundex in Ardmore was a favorite, and I seem to remember something called Barclays, and there was a very well known place fairly far away whose name I have forgotten. And of course there was Tech Hifi, Sam Goody (which sold surprisingly good stuff -- Tannoy, AR LSTs, and Thorens, etc.) and Silo, where I bought my Fried Qs.
 
OK, sm19422, I'll bite -- what is the Philly crowd like? Not sure if you mean the general Philadelphia attitude (or whatever part of Philly you take to be 'the' Philadelphia -- I'm assuming you don't mean the Quakers), or the Philadelphia audio crowd.

The Philly crowd is very tough and I will state a few examples.

At an Aerosmith concert in the late 70's a fan threw a bottle at the group abruptly ending the show.

At a sporting event in Philly the audience is full of police officers.
There is a court set up inside the basement of the football stadium to prosecute offenders.
Almost every year there are a few embarrassing incidents that occur at a one of the major sporting events that makes the national headlines. :(

They have even booed Santa Claus. :thumbsdn:

I live in the suburbs and only enter the city limits when it is absolutely necessary. Things are becoming the same in the suburbs out here unfortunately. :tears:

BTW I remember Soundex in Ardmore who sold a lot of used vintage not to be confused with the Soundex forrmerly in Willow Grove which sold a lot of new TOTL.
 
Back
Top Bottom