• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Two MTM designs by Helmuth

Your results are certainly different than I have seen between particle board and MDF in the past. But, I can see based on your results why you would choose particle board.

I think the influence of wood choice is overrated. As you can see what has really effect is reinforcement. And the last resonances damp with bitumen pads.

Chip wood or MDF , Birch does not really matter to me, good total design right choices in XO with the used drivers is important.

Nothing more to it.
 
Last edited:
Interior reinforcement of the bassreflex design with wood
DSCF0145.jpg

DSCF0150.jpg


Damping with bitumen.
DSCF0158.jpg

DSCF0175.jpg


Tap it to hear it helps your ears are great tools. A extra reinforcement cross is placed.
DSCF0172.jpg


Damping standing waves
DSCF0161.jpg

DSCF0187.jpg


Peak inside.
DSCF0195.jpg
 
Those Hivi ribbons in the Fat Boy was a nice selection. I have a set in my MTM speakers. They sound very nice.
 
Those Hivi ribbons in the Fat Boy was a nice selection. I have a set in my MTM speakers. They sound very nice.

They sound very neutral indeed. I removed them from the MTM because the TI100 from visaton has breakup at 7-8kHz and I wanted to crossover lower.

I now use the DT300 from Monacor a fantastic good 28mm dome for budget price.
I have several good tweeters around I have to say I was surprised by how similar they all sound, so my conclusion not much difference between top of the line tweeters. So one can better concentrate on the 4kHz and lower when you have a normal good dome.
I had a super tweeter of visaton that added something special very light aludome and voice coil horn loaded.

With the HiVi I want to make a OpenBaffle end this year.

Photo of the Monacor DT300
dt300.jpg


Only BIG sound BIG.
DSC00120.jpg


DSC00121.jpg


Measurement of my Swans RT1 the bottom grafic, and green line
microcalib.jpg
 
Last edited:
I wish I had 1/10 of Helmuth's talent with cabinets! Serious - beautiful speakers.

What I do isn't difficult I only try to be smart when building a Box. I first think what I can make and not only what I like. And what is the cheapest.

Then you have to look for a good woodwork DIY shop with professional saw. When it is accurate sawn and you do it the way i did, then it is ready in a midday and perfect result.


So do not hesitate.
 
Do you have full frequency response graphs for each of these speakers?

yes on 0, 15 , 30, 45 degrees.

Bandpass on 1mtr. I flattened the rise at 8 kHz now these are old measurements.
1mtrfatboy.jpg


bassreflex on 2 mtr
afstraalflak.jpg
 
Last edited:
Grey doesn't fit

DSCF0307.jpg


DSCF0310.jpg



The tweeter is real good and low cost. A test of hobbyhifi measures high end. Very low THD <0.15%
mivochorn.jpg
 
Last edited:
To optimise air flow the baffle made round with a router. I also glue the nuts with PU because they can fall out whet pushing the bolt in.
back.jpg


To make a perfect fit on the front the frame thickness is cut out with a router.
DSCF0313.jpg


DSCF0315.jpg


DSCF0316.jpg
 
Last edited:
Nice sturdy terminals of the BR.(monacor)
DSCF0213.jpg

DSCF0230.jpg


silver wire internal wire.
DSCF0214.jpg



The bandpas is biwired. With special biwire cable a silver copper mix and robust fork clamps.
lskabel.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom