• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Unknown cartridge

anatolk

Member
Please, help me identify that cartridge:
 

Attachments

  • DSC_4849.jpg
    DSC_4849.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_4850.jpg
    DSC_4850.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_4851.jpg
    DSC_4851.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_4852.jpg
    DSC_4852.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_4853.jpg
    DSC_4853.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_4854.jpg
    DSC_4854.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 154
Register to hide this ad
Could be a special version of Ortofon's VMS30 models.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Thank you! It came with my Thorens TD-146 and the stylus looks pretty good under a microscope, maybe not much used. BUT, unfortunately, it is damaged (look at the photos). And yet, I can play records with it and it sounds good, yet pretty different from my AT, which is brighter, with accented mid-frequencies, great voices, but tighter bass, somewhat flatter soundstage. However with this one I get audible distortions at mid-to-high frequencies, possibly because of the damaged stylus. It will not last for a long time in such a condition...
So, I need to know which is that cartridge and stylus, because I notified the seller about the problem and he needs to know how much do they cost, since he didn't buy it.
 

Attachments

  • dsc_4846_1.jpg
    dsc_4846_1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 76
  • dsc_4848_1.jpg
    dsc_4848_1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 57
Well, I'm not really concerned about that, since I do not plan to use it, it's nearly broken. By now I know it's a VMS cartridge, but I'm absolutely lost at which cartridge is that and which the stylus is - D,F,FF,M,N,NF... They all seem to have the same profile and in mine there is nothing written except "Ortofon" and that G clef and I found nothing about it on the net...
Edit: Stanton681EEES, thank you!
 
So the stylus should be in the price range $37-$45... By the way, there is a number "5" inscribed on the back, if it's of any use to identification...
 
Be careful with the older Ortofons your model in particular. If I remember it was explained to me something like an F15E stylus would work but the output would be very low and the same thing for an M15E stylus would fit an F15E body but the output would be very low, I know i bought an M15E stylus and the volume was so low I couldn't use it so I sold the stylus. Try one of the sellers on ebay Germany or do a google search. You will need a an M15E stylus.
 
Thank you, Stanton681EEES!
I would like to use that cartridge, because I liked the sound, yet it's quite different from the AT, which I consider a magnificent cartridge for certain kind of music. So I was about to ask what particular stylus would be a good choice for that cartridge. Also, is that cartridge well suited to the stock tonearm of the TD 146 (TP 21 in my case, I think)?
 
S681: M15E or M15E Super? Hmmmm.... Sure? I'm not so... And the M15E Super had a golden body anyway, afair. But what also puzzles me about anatolk's model is the blank metal top plate... And the violin clef on the needle, of course.

anatolk: Could you weigh the cartridge? The result might also be interesting for identification. And you wrote you've inspected the stylus - any intersting observations (e.g. was it nude or bonded? what was the shank shape (and orientation, if applicable)? et cetera...)?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Yes, it's blank metal all over.
The electronic scales I have say 6 gr.
lini, I can't say what the shape is, the magnification is not great, I just saw the stylus is clear and maybe not very worn. The shank shape is round, as I observe.
 
The back of the stylus will tell you as to what cartridge this is but i'd bet it's an M15E or from that family. The F15E is hourglass shaped and the F15EMKII is more of an H if I remember rite.
 
If You look at Svalander.se, /shoppen/vinyl/nålar/ortofon, You will see that Ortofon manufacture a universal stylus that fits all these old F/FF stylii. They are also making a universal stylus for VMS. Send him a mail, he will know what cart You have and what stylus to use.
/gusten
 
Thanks!
Stanton681EEES, I thought it is an H-profile... and it really is an H, but now as I look closely - the side walls are not plain, they are concave... I'll post a high res photo later. The schematics of F-15 cartridge show an inclined bottom profile and mine has a plain bottom... Also, my stylus is blue and the table lists different colors for the N/NF...
gusten, thank you, I'll try this one also.
 
One more thing Don't get an F15E I'm 99% sure it won't work in that body. Best bet is to contact the guy in Germany and see if you can send him some pics. Do some searching as well on ebay Germany and the Netherlands since those cartridges come from that part of the world
 
Another possibility: Why not ask Ortofon's customer service? They surely should be able to identify the anatolk's model, if he sends them an email with the pics (or the links to pics in this thread)...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Back
Top Bottom