• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Unknown cartridge

lini, yes, I was thinking about that before posting here, but thought that it would be easy for someone here to identify it.
Stanton681EEES, yes, the turntable came from Germany. But why a compatible stylus would not work on that body?
Here is the stylus:
 

Attachments

  • STYL1.JPG
    STYL1.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 14
  • STYL2.JPG
    STYL2.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 16
  • STYL3.JPG
    STYL3.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 9
  • STYL4.JPG
    STYL4.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 11
Your stylus is hour glass shaped Not H shaped but what is causing me concern is the color being it's blue. Makes me think it is an M15E as the one i had was hourglass shaped and as i said in an earlier post it fit the body but the output was to low to use it. Yours is most likely a generic as it doesn't have the smoked colored stylus guard. Send that guy in germany an email with pics and see if hre has one and can help you.
Also see if he would take it back if it doesn't work.
 
It could be an authentic Ortofon stylus (it does say Ortofon on the front) made to work with either the H or the hourglass profile shaft. Some people don't like the flip-down stylus guards and remove them.
 
I'd also still recommend further identification before purchase of any replacement...

Btw, did you guys notice that little ring around the tube at the back of the cantilever assembly?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Stanton681EEES, it's an H-shaped hourglass, that's why I was confused about the shape :).
It could be a generic one, but it does have an authentic Ortofon lamellae on the front, with a G clef...
Well, sending him a photo would be pointless, since he is asking me which is the stylus and how much a new one cost, because it was somehow damaged when I've got the TT. Actually, yesterday I've sent him the second link you posted above - the M15E Super. And I hope it's the same stylus or at least in the same price range, so as not to seem I lie him.
I may try to contact Ortofon CS also, as lini said.
@lini, I am about to ask which one would be a good replacement for the broken stylus (a new one, I know:)).
 
(...) I may try to contact Ortofon CS also, as lini said.
@lini, I am about to ask which one would be a good replacement for the broken stylus (a new one, I know:)).

Good - but don't only ask about a recommended replacement, definitely ask about your original, too: After so much puzzling, I'd really like to know what model this mysterious clef needled one actually is...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I mean, I was about to ask here, in the forum, about a good replacement. I've sent photos of the cartridge and stylus to Ortofon and waiting for their reply.
 
Mystery solved!
Ortofon-Germany replied:

"That cartridge, named Chiave, is produced by Ortofon for a German
company called Phonosophie. We do not have a replacement stylus for that
cartridge.

I think, it might be the best to contact Phonosophie directly."

http://www.phonosophie.de/International/eSysteme2.html

Thanks, always welcome info on the ortos and there off shoots. Did you ask him if per chance the M15E stylus would work?
 
(...) Worthy of a Genuine Stylus.

Questionable - 'cause quite a few products of Mr. Hansen rather belong into the category that would probably be called voodoo or snake oil by the majority of AKers. I.e., while the cart might be a nice sounding one, I'd at least expect it to be rather overpriced - and the same would also go for the needle (afaik, that sells for > 200 Euro now...).

anatolk: I'd recommend to email Phonosophie and ask what they'd actually charge you for a genuine replacement needle. If the result was over ca. 130 Euro, I'd suggest to email Ortofon again and ask 'em which of their needles are compatible to the Chiave body.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Yes, I hope there are compatibles for this cartridge from Ortofon, otherwise 130 EU is well over I'd spend for a stylus at the moment... Actually I've got the Thorens for that much...
I also suspect the metal pulley is again from Phonosophie as theirs is absolutely the same and the TD-146 is generally with a plastic one.
And that's not all. I suspect the TT interconnect is also from Phonosophie, since it's absolutely the same as on the photos and ends with the BNC connectors. And as I understand by reading the site, that's their philosophie about TT cables - they should use BNCs. Even their amplifiers have all the connections DIN except the phono which uses BNC.
 
anatolk: Looks like that's pretty much the same modding package Hansen also uses to turn a TD166 into his Phonosophie No.1 table. The only part of that mod pack you haven't mentioned yet would be some extra damping inside.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Hi! I can't see additional damping, but anyway, look at the photos that I have taken from the inside.
Phonosophie didn't reply yet, but I've received that from a guy in Ortofon:
"The stylus shown has been sold in Germany only and you are able to use
Ortofon stylus D20 E MKII."
 

Attachments

  • In1.jpg
    In1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 20
  • In2.jpg
    In2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 17
  • In3.jpg
    In3.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 19
  • In4.jpg
    In4.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 11
Then that D20 E Mk II should be a good choice if reasonably priced. If it exceeds $60 US, then upgrade cartridges. That Thorens is indeed worth it.
 
Well, there is one on Ebay and says it is original, brand new, the price is $115. I found one in a british online store, which is about 20 pounds, so maybe a copy.
Phonosophie didn't reply yet, so I really don't know what to do by now... Could this one be the only replacement choice?
 
I asked if an M15E will work and the guy answered "We don't believe it will".
Phonosophie didn't answer... If anybody have ideas about another stylus that will get on that cartridge and is under those $115...
 
Back
Top Bottom