• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Upgrade Company mods for Mcintosh amps

Kevin M.

Well-Known Member
Do any of you have any experience with these mods. I am sure it will void the warranty but am curious about the experience of any end users.
 
Register to hide this ad
Any mods I need/want will come courtesy of Terry DeWick in the form of a refurb/recap, etc. :thmbsp:
 
I have had very good experience with The Upgrade Company albeit on non-McIntosh items. He has done several of my components and I will send him my amps when budget allows. I do think he really likes McIntosh personally, and recently replaced a C100 with a C200 as his reference preamp. I sent my CDP to him for an update a couple of months ago and he had just done a MC-252 (I think that’s what it was because I used to have a MC-352). I remember him commenting how he thought it was so good, just like all the other Mac gear he's seen and owned. Also, as I just mentioned in another AK thread, he does offer a money back guarantee, but he does not disclose the details of his work. This makes it a little bit of a leap of faith, but one I obviously think is worth it.
 
When it comes to McIntosh amps and his rates for this undisclosed work it seems to me that you could have a pair of MC501's (edit, I meant MC402)by the time it is all said and done doing a MC252. Same with the rest of the chain. Modifications usually sound different and may highlight something that you find especially nice but 6
months down the road when the new/better feeling has worn offthe overall performance may not be what is was. As always YMMV, too big a gamble for me.
Another make maybe...


Carl
 
Last edited:
Actually, when I had that conversation with Dave Schulte at the Upgrade Company, he mentioned he might get some 501s for himself. I don’t know if he ever did. Some people don't need something as big as the 501s though.

FWIW, I did say it was a leap of faith, and I meant that it might not be for everyone. Schulte also realizes this, which is why he offers the money back guarantee. The feeling of better performance never wears off for me. Frankly, I am not sure why it would wear off for anyone, isn’t that what most folks are trying to accomplish in the first place? Instead, I think I am finally cured of upgraditis. Especially the more I hear other, much more expensive set-ups. Instead I am spending more dough and time on music nowadays.

I will also add that I thought I had a problem with the first player I had him upgrade for me (an Esoteric DV-50 quite some time ago). I also had an SDI video output added to this player by JVB Digital, and I had lost the ability to use the SDI. I thought of course it was the DV-50 and the work Schulte did since JVB tested their work before shipping it out. I sent the player back to him and he quickly went through it and couldn’t find anything wrong. Then he sent it to JVB for me and again they found no problem. Eventually I discovered it was a faulty BNC fitting on my Video processor. My point here is regarding warranty and the effort he made to make sure I was satisfied, up and running. Most of the time this whole process took was taken up in shipping this monster player all over Michigan and to and from PA.

If you are near SE PA you are welcome to stop by for a listen if you wish...just not Thursday.
 
What mods? something beyond lighting changes from bulb to fibre optics?

No he's talking about some real mods to Mcintosh amps. He seemed very impressed with Mcintosh amps. I did not bring up Mcintosh amps. I had actually called about upgrading a Theta Compli. I asked about the build quality of the stuff he mods and then he started raving about how great the build on Mcintosh stuff is.
 
When it comes to McIntosh amps and his rates for this undisclosed work it seems to me that you could have a pair of MC501's (edit, I meant MC402)by the time it is all said and done doing a MC252. Same with the rest of the chain. Modifications usually sound different and may highlight something that you find especially nice but 6
months down the road when the new/better feeling has worn offthe overall performance may not be what is was. As always YMMV, too big a gamble for me.
Another make maybe...


Carl

Yeah, my gut instinct is to just change from the MC402 to a pair of MC501s. That's my plan in about 2 more months!
 
It says at the Upgrade Company web site that they specialize in CD players, I wonder if he has upgraded any music servers?

Victor
 
if someone is truly this talented I dont understand why they wouldnt work for the company factory in engineering/design, and help them produce a better product, like Roger Russell used to do.
 
Why would you want to work for someone else when you are a proven success on your own? David upgraded my McIntosh 252. It is a pretty good amp stock but after the upgrades performed it sounds absolutely glorious! Sweeter highs, much more inner detail, deeper tighter bass, smoother all around sounding with much greater presence to the sound. I couldn't be happier with the change. Everything is better! Send your Mac gear to David. You won't be disappointed. He offers a money back guarantee if not satisfied so there is really nothing to lose.
 
Why would you want to work for someone else when you are a proven success on your own? David upgraded my McIntosh 252. It is a pretty good amp stock but after the upgrades performed it sounds absolutely glorious! Sweeter highs, much more inner detail, deeper tighter bass, smoother all around sounding with much greater presence to the sound. I couldn't be happier with the change. Everything is better! Send your Mac gear to David. You won't be disappointed. He offers a money back guarantee if not satisfied so there is really nothing to lose.

First post and that post recommends I spend my money somewhere always send up the red flag. This post actually is a negative because it looks like a "plant." I have decided I am not using the Upgrade company because of this post. Too many secrets and not enough technical explantions for the money I would be spending. It's not like I'm not going to open up the piece of gear before and after I sent it. Everytime I get a money back gurantee, the first thing out the guys mouth is how I'm the first one to ever want my money back and the implication is that something is wrong with me. Too much of a hassle and way too much mystery.
 
i say keep the amps as they are....when someone says that one of Mc's top amps reached another plateau..I run away.

In my view, I thought the super $$ gear that is well made, already got you pretty close to the absolute best performance possible by current designs....Hyperbole just make me suspicious....
 
I am not against "mods" at all, in fact I have a Underwood "ultimate" modified Denon 3910, but it seems that if the work isn't clearly explained, why should I part with my cash for the voodoo? (I wish that I had known that the MVP871 was coming out, I would have probably saved up and purchased that player)
 
First post and that post recommends I spend my money somewhere always send up the red flag. This post actually is a negative because it looks like a "plant." I have decided I am not using the Upgrade company because of this post. Too many secrets and not enough technical explantions for the money I would be spending. It's not like I'm not going to open up the piece of gear before and after I sent it. Everytime I get a money back gurantee, the first thing out the guys mouth is how I'm the first one to ever want my money back and the implication is that something is wrong with me. Too much of a hassle and way too much mystery.

Kev,

You are sooo right on all points.........I happen to have a new 252 and love it's sound..with no thoughts of shipping a $4500 piece of gear to an unknown entity!
 
i say keep the amps as they are....when someone says that one of Mc's top amps reached another plateau..I run away.

In my view, I thought the super $$ gear that is well made, already got you pretty close to the absolute best performance possible by current designs....Hyperbole just make me suspicious....

Hyperbole?.................White, I love when you speak dirty:D
 
Though I'm usually interested in performance upgrades, having been a McIntosh owner only for a short period, I see how loyal the ownership is...

From what I can tell, they are like vintage sports cars, nobody wants modified, they want stock and modified really harms the long term value of the product.

Considering that McIntosh seems to hold its resale better than anything else I've seen in the high end, I think I'll keep mine stock as well....
 
Back
Top Bottom