• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Upgrade from Pioneer SA-9500 II ?

You are using phone as music source. It makes a difference what kind of phone and model it is. To bypass the phones DAC to properly use an external DAC may take software and special USB cable. Some phones do not support this. What kind of phone do you have?
Your music files may be compressed that is an issue if you want highest quality.

You might want to investigate streaming music. I don't think phones are the way to go.
 
You are using phone as music source. It makes a difference what kind of phone and model it is. To bypass the phones DAC to properly use an external DAC may take software and special USB cable. Some phones do not support this. What kind of phone do you have?
Your music files may be compressed that is an issue if you want highest quality.

You might want to investigate streaming music. I don't think phones are the way to go.

Samsung S3 stream music from youtube.

I got a dual 505-1 record player a few days ago, sound is still similar. Some records sound worse others sound better but its not better than streaming high quality music from youtube like live acoustic recordings.

My Speakers are Beovox S75 recapped with Nichicon capacitors. Some time in the future when have spare cash plan to upgrade speakers to Yamaha NS-1000 or Pioneer HPM-100.

As for upgrading from Pioneer SA-9500 II I am looking for suggestions.
 
Beolab 5 is the best I have heard at £16,000

Heard the Beolab 50 £20,000 & Beolab 90 £60,000 a fewdays ago sound same as Beolab 5 but more power. More tweeters more midrange drivers and more woofers.

Visit your local B&O shop for demo.

The closest dealer is 700 miles away unfortunately would be easier to know what characteristics your looking for to be able to listen to them. Aside from sources I do think you probably should consider if there's speakers closer in your price range that might have similar characteristics at a substantially lower price if you're looking for speakers that image well and are more accurate in sound reproduction. As I don't think simply swapping the amp at this stage will necessarily get you what you're looking for as speakers tend to have their own character on top of what the amp puts out.

For example I use Dynaco A-25s and KLH 17s on my SA-8500 II. The A-25 is an aperiodic design the KLH 17 is a sealed acoustic design. The Dynacos are smooth and rolled off in the high end and have a deeper bass. They're also a little looser sounding they're pleasant and image extremely well. The KLH 17 doesn't get as deep into the bass but it's a little less rolled off in the high and handles voices, pianos, drums, and strings really well. The the 17s are also tight to the point it feels like I can pick out individual drumbeats those speakers love jazz but seem to play most stuff well.

Personally I'd love to get ahold of some KLH 5s as they're the higher end three way model with better bass. I find both enjoyable but they're somewhat distinct from each other to me on the same amp. So I tend to say hold off on doing anything with the amp until you try some different speakers if you're looking to go that route anyway.
 
Last edited:
I assume the Bluetooth adapter outputs analog. The Aux only accepts analog.

A DAC (digital to analog) accepts digital and converts to analog.

How do you expect to connect the Bluetooth adapter to the DAC?
 
Old thread. Sorry, but it's interesting. If anyone finds this and is using their smartphone or ipad, or computer as a source, this is not hi-fidelity as the term is, I think, used in this forum. Digital media has come a long long way since the mp3, but a good quality DAC is essential. Cheapest and best sounding so far for me has been the Fosi Audio ZD3. I know there are differences in DACs, but this ones a solid, fun performer and will make a night and day difference from you iphone (or unapproved equal) hah! The original OP's amp is excellent in my opinion, and would be prized by many. Good luck everybody!
 
Old thread. Sorry, but it's interesting. If anyone finds this and is using their smartphone or ipad, or computer as a source, this is not hi-fidelity as the term is, I think, used in this forum. Digital media has come a long long way since the mp3, but a good quality DAC is essential. Cheapest and best sounding so far for me has been the Fosi Audio ZD3. I know there are differences in DACs, but this ones a solid, fun performer and will make a night and day difference from you iphone (or unapproved equal) hah! The original OP's amp is excellent in my opinion, and would be prized by many. Good luck everybody!
Counterpoint: the DAC in modern phones from 5-10 years ago, and even dinky little file players like the Sansa Clip+ from 2009, are excellent, with SINADs below human hearing. Although I hate Apple products, their little usb dongle DAC has excellent numbers and I bet no one can tell the difference between that and a top of the line Topping or some fancy R2R thing.
 
Counterpoint: the DAC in modern phones from 5-10 years ago, and even dinky little file players like the Sansa Clip+ from 2009, are excellent, with SINADs below human hearing. Although I hate Apple products, their little usb dongle DAC has excellent numbers and I bet no one can tell the difference between that and a top of the line Topping or some fancy R2R thing.
Noted. No real opinion about Apple vs any of the others. All corporate tech. I have an iphone 15, and when run through the Fosi there's a very noticeable improvement to my ears.
 
Back
Top Bottom