• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

VU means what, exactly?

Lambo

Gettin' by on gettin' by
I knows what VU meters are when I sees 'em.
But what does the VU stand for?
Vsomething Unit would be my guess.
 
Register to hide this ad
It is Volume Units. It's calibrated, too, back in the good old, bad old days when radio stations used phone lines for their remote feeds.

Not to sound as rude as I sometimes am :-( but do y'all know how to use Google?

I quote from:
http://www.broadcastpapers.com/audio/DKAudioLevel&Readings-print.htm

Audio Levels and Readings
by Eddy Bøgh Brixen & DK-Audio

"VU (= Volume Unit). This instrument was originally invented by the Bell Lab and by American broadcasters in collaboration. It became a standard in 1939. The purpose of the instrument was to provide the users with information when using telephone lines for transmission and distribution. Also it was an attempt to give a visual information corresponding to the perceived level – the volume - of the sound. For this reason – as well as for practical mechanical and especially ballistic reasons – the instrument is acting rather slowly. It is more like a moving average. By definition the meter will reach full deflection (or 99% of full deflection to be more precise) if the signal has a duration of 300 ms or more.

The scale covers the range 20 VU to +3 VU. 0 VU is reached at the voltage 1.23 V (across a load of 600 ohm), corresponding to +4 dBm."

In the photo, you can see a happy WITH-AM Broadcast Engineer no doubt adjusting his trusty Ampex 600 to 0 VU as he records the presentation of the keys to the city to a WITH deejay by the then-mayor of Baltimore.

attachment.php


BTW, The broadcast engineer is my ol' man :-)
 
Last edited:
mhardy6647 said:
Not to sound as rude as I sometimes am :-( but do y'all know how to use Google?

Problem is if we all used google to find our answers we would not need to ask questions on AK. Seems to me that when I joined this forum I was encouraged to ask questions. People seem to learn more reading the answers to the questions people asked. Lately I have seen more and more people telling newbies and such to use the search function instead of taking the time to chat with these people and getting to know them, and to me thats how friendships are formed. The good old art of conversation.
 
Seems to me that when I joined this forum I was encouraged to ask questions. People seem to learn more reading the answers to the questions people asked. Lately I have seen more and more people telling newbies and such to use the search function instead of taking the time to chat with these people and getting to know them, and to me thats how friendships are formed. The good old art of conversation.

That's absolutely true, and I don't think I do this too often. It's only in the case of a very concrete, well defined question (like "what's VU") that the Google approach is a good Plan A, IMO. Searching AK is a good Plan A for the "FAQ" type of questions ("Can I use a 5751 in place of a 12AX7?").

Note that I used Google m'self, to double-check my feeble memory, in the present case!

On the other hand: When folks have questions like: "how will Auricaps sound compared to Orange Drops as coupling caps in my Fisher 400", Google's not such a good resource as posting the question at a forum like AK or AA.
 
Last edited:
Unican_Eric said:
Problem is if we all used google to find our answers we would not need to ask questions on AK. Seems to me that when I joined this forum I was encouraged to ask questions. People seem to learn more reading the answers to the questions people asked. Lately I have seen more and more people telling newbies and such to use the search function instead of taking the time to chat with these people and getting to know them, and to me thats how friendships are formed. The good old art of conversation.

Uncan nailed it.
 
Look at it this way. At some point, someone will Google "VU" and find, as a result, this thread! :) Everything always comes back to AK :banana:
 
Google's OK, but not overly personal.
Besides, they'll want to sell you VU's and VU-related stuff.
And Google probably wouldn't say-"And by the way, did you know the largest VU meters on a stereo integrated amp are on the Acme 99807 made in 1993?"
 
Besides, they'll want to sell you VU's and VU-related stuff.

Did you ever notice that THINGY at the top of AK pages? I had posted something about the new Airbus A380, and then something about the Boeing prototype for the 707 jetliner... and, no lie, one of the links up there claimed to be for a place to buy used 707's!

I could use a few spare VU meters, but I don't have space in the basement for a 707.
 
mhardy6647 said:
but I don't have space in the basement for a 707.


How about the back yard?
I've seen where people have bought fuselages to make houses out of.
I bet they'd make a bitchin' soundroom/den/doghouse/HT.
 
Unican_Eric said:
Problem is if we all used google to find our answers we would not need to ask questions on AK. Seems to me that when I joined this forum I was encouraged to ask questions. People seem to learn more reading the answers to the questions people asked. Lately I have seen more and more people telling newbies and such to use the search function instead of taking the time to chat with these people and getting to know them, and to me thats how friendships are formed. The good old art of conversation.

Excellent, excellent point made!!! :yes:
 
I always wanted an old tall-tail B-52. I'd PROMISE the Air Force I wouldn't initiate any thermonuclear attacks on any other place, unless they REALLY deserved it. I'd love it, 'n' pet it, 'n' polish it, 'n' call it "George"...VU meters? Yeah, we have 'em on R-390As...They were designed to send a audio signal out over telephone lines, 600ohms, & they have a VU meter on 'em, as well as another little meter calibrated in dB for signal strength. -Sandy G.
 
Back
Top Bottom