• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Western Electric Date Codes

steveh1155

Active Member
Hi, can anybody read the date codes on Western Electric tubes, or provide a link? Tried to google but not coming up with much. Thanks in advance!

Steve
 
Register to hide this ad
It's Western Electric 396A (it's a dual triode I think) - it looks brand new, the only other numbers that look like a date code are 152. It was in a big box of about 200-300 tubes I bought at a yard sale today for 10 bucks. I'm still going through the box but already I've found a pair of Sylvania 6L6GA's, several RCA black plate 12AX7's, several RCA black plate 6CG7's, some Sylvania 6SN7's (with the black triangle shaped plates) and assorted rectifiers. I find tubes at yard sales occasionally, but I've never run accross any Western Electrics. My best tube score this year I think!
 
It's Western Electric 396A (it's a dual triode I think) - it looks brand new, the only other numbers that look like a date code are 152. It was in a big box of about 200-300 tubes I bought at a yard sale today for 10 bucks. I'm still going through the box but already I've found a pair of Sylvania 6L6GA's, several RCA black plate 12AX7's, several RCA black plate 6CG7's, some Sylvania 6SN7's (with the black triangle shaped plates) and assorted rectifiers. I find tubes at yard sales occasionally, but I've never run accross any Western Electrics. My best tube score this year I think!
Hey.

I have the same tube and date number, mine has a green tip. I also have another tube dated 426 with a silver tip.

I cant seem to find any information either about the dating system, did you ever figure out what date 152 was?
 
This is simpler than it seems. Miniature tubes labeled Western Electric appeared in the early 1950s.

152 is most likely the 52nd week of 1951. 426 is most likely the 26th week of 1954.

The miniature tubes from WE that I keep around, 417A and 5842, all used the above date codes, until the 1960s, when you see date codes like 6042, meaning the 42nd week of 1960. 6442 would be the 42nd week of 1964.
When I was testing my stash of 417As, I often had the original boxes, confirming nearby date codes. Production dates often are a bit before the original testing/boxing dates.
I hope this helps...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom