• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are you drinking now?

We've had some N/A "whiskey" spirits around here for a bit, but haven't really delved into them. Doing a sampling/tasting this evening with an eventual goal (mostly for me) to have a go-to for a "reduced horsepower" Old Fashioned, Manhattan, etc. or something respectable for guests who prefer little or no alcohol, but would like to partake in the festivities. We often have "mocktail" options, but they usually lean sweet and fruity, not necessarily savory (not the right word).

So far these are each semi-dreadful on their own, with the Lyre's "American Malt" being the least offensive (also not the right word), but I guess it's important (and admirable!) that these exist at all. At this time I'm sipping an "Old Fashioned" that is 50% Lyre's and 50% Bulleit Bourbon; it's palatable. Another one (Drybridge "No. 86") on the radar to add to inventory for future comparison.

IMG_7222.jpeg
 
We've had some N/A "whiskey" spirits around here for a bit, but haven't really delved into them. Doing a sampling/tasting this evening with an eventual goal (mostly for me) to have a go-to for a "reduced horsepower" Old Fashioned, Manhattan, etc. or something respectable for guests who prefer little or no alcohol, but would like to partake in the festivities. We often have "mocktail" options, but they usually lean sweet and fruity, not necessarily savory (not the right word).

So far these are each semi-dreadful on their own, with the Lyre's "American Malt" being the least offensive (also not the right word), but I guess it's important (and admirable!) that these exist at all. At this time I'm sipping an "Old Fashioned" that is 50% Lyre's and 50% Bulleit Bourbon; it's palatable. Another one (Drybridge "No. 86") on the radar to add to inventory for future comparison.

View attachment 3848335
I'd be interested in how this works out. I had been thinking that smoking a low proof drink might work, but I didn't know about the NA stuff. Also maple syrup or cinnamon simple syrup has sort of worked in an of old fashioned format, but I bet your idea works better. Cinnamon replaces the alcohol bite a bit.
 
@elcoholic, Buffalo Trace at Costco?!!! o_O

At present, having a half glass of Bershire Brewing Imperial Stout, which will probably put me to bed :rolleyes: , but I am counting on Tony Rice to keep my attention ;)

Awww, Sally Goodin live, OMG! Wide awake, wide awake!
Its baaaack! Nearly a victim of the whiskey war between the big two according to my brother who just left the number 3 upstart distributor and switched to convenience store supply.
 
I'd be interested in how this works out. I had been thinking that smoking a low proof drink might work, but I didn't know about the NA stuff. Also maple syrup or cinnamon simple syrup has sort of worked in an of old fashioned format, but I bet your idea works better. Cinnamon replaces the alcohol bite a bit.

Lol - me too! Seriously though, I'm going to give it an honest attempt, but I don't have real high hopes.

The disappointment stems from believing the ad copy that any of these is at all a reasonable flavor substitute for the real thing. They're not the same, and can't/won't be the same, so you have to have the expectation that it'll be different, and be okay with that reality. And that's where I went wrong the first time I tried this experiment (several months ago) and abandoned it immediately. I'm attempting to restart this with renewed opportunity and more realistic expectations.

For spice, the "Free Spirits" uses Capsaicin for a little heat to simulate the "alcohol burn" but I really don't care for the sensation, nor the lingering effects of the pepper. Apparently the "No. 86" stuff uses it, too (though I'm still keen to try it anyway). The Lyre's and the Kentucky 74 don't use any Capsaicin, but also don't have any bite.

I don't want to monopolize things with this, but I'll chime in again if I get something to work. :biggrin:
 
We've had some N/A "whiskey" spirits around here for a bit, but haven't really delved into them. Doing a sampling/tasting this evening with an eventual goal (mostly for me) to have a go-to for a "reduced horsepower" Old Fashioned, Manhattan, etc. or something respectable for guests who prefer little or no alcohol, but would like to partake in the festivities. We often have "mocktail" options, but they usually lean sweet and fruity, not necessarily savory (not the right word).

So far these are each semi-dreadful on their own, with the Lyre's "American Malt" being the least offensive (also not the right word), but I guess it's important (and admirable!) that these exist at all. At this time I'm sipping an "Old Fashioned" that is 50% Lyre's and 50% Bulleit Bourbon; it's palatable. Another one (Drybridge "No. 86") on the radar to add to inventory for future comparison.

View attachment 3848335
Well hell that looks like fun man..’ :thumbsup:
 
NEIPA at my favorite brewpub (currently) in Amsterdam.its 59 F and breezy. Brief rain showers, and then sunny ..repeat cycle. Nice little heaters in the umbrellas enabled me to doff the jacket
Cheers.
IMG_20261008_151717129.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom