• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Audio Brand That You Will Never Buy And Why?

No way they have to come in a defend their honor......;)

Just wait till I get a hold of Mister Pig.....I'll be eating bacon...:biggrin:
Haha; Now you leave Mister Pig alone............who wants that junky old Mac gear anyways:) My back is still sore from wrestling with a pair of their 130lb amps this week anyways so perhaps he's got a point:crazy:
 
I'm on team Pig--I have never been impressed with McIntosh. And it's not a matter of poo pooing gear because I can't afford it--because I can. I've owned Krell and Levinson gear well within the same price league. Something about McIntosh has never sounded "right" to me. I respect their reputation and durability and following, but they are just not my cup of tea. Only way I'd buy a McIntosh would be to flip it.
 
The point of the thread was to attack Audio Note UK boys, and the OP has zero interest in what you all would or would not buy (which is why you have not seen the OP since). Audio Note UK was a tiny completely unknown Japanese brand with about 3 workers making very expensive products - around 3 products that would see the light outside of Japan and all three over $85,000.00US. The biggest name that perhaps non high end audiophiles would have ever heard of is the Ongaku which when AN UK released it to America was the most expensive amplifier in the world at $89,000. And no one here would have heard of that amp if it wasn't for Peter Qvortrup partnering with the Japanese company. Peter Q ran Audio Innovations in the 80s and sold the company and used the money to SIGN AN AGREEMENT (a legal contract) with AN Japan and Kondo-San where-in Peter would do all the promotional work and put up ALL the money. Peter put 95% of the money up, promotes the product and buys the rights to the name brand outside of Japan where he would build with his staff lower priced versions. I always laugh at this stuff - Apple or Microsoft buy people out all the time - they get rich and then come back to complain with a feel sorry for me sob story. It's such BS.

And here's the thing - virtually every single product that anyone could actually afford from Audio Note is designed almost entirely by Andy Grove in the UK (who worked for Quad and various others) or Andy Whittle (Rogers/Celesetion chief designer) and Guy Adams (Voyd Turntables). AN Japan had zero to do with AN Digital, AN speakers, AN turntables, and any amp below the Ongaku or Gaku-ons or M7 preamp. AN UK makes everything below level 4 at that time.

For the other side of that story Peter Q made a post.

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=general&n=36887&highlight=Kondo+Peter+Qvortrup&r=&search_url=/cgi/search.mpl?ForumSelect=Selected&searchtext=&SelectForumgeneral=general

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
 
I will not buy products from Bose & Beats & Audio Note(UK).
Bose & Beats (Not worth the money but not in never ever category)

However, I will never buy any of Audio Note(UK) products because they stole the name from Mr.Kondo, it's not fair for a guy who designed & build the Audio Note products from the ground, it is a shame that Kondo San did not pursue this in the British courts. He would have won easily.

I'm a fan of Mr.Kondo for his works and design philosophy, I'm just remembering him while 10th anniversary of his death approaching in January 8th.

Kondo San Post On AA.
Kondo San Interview With Stereophile.
Audio Note Factory Tour.

The point of the thread was to attack Audio Note UK boys, and the OP has zero interest in what you all would or would not buy (which is why you have not seen the OP since). Audio Note UK was a tiny completely unknown Japanese brand with about 3 workers making very expensive products - around 3 products that would see the light outside of Japan and all three over $85,000.00US. The biggest name that perhaps non high end audiophiles would have ever heard of is the Ongaku which when AN UK released it to America was the most expensive amplifier in the world at $89,000. And no one here would have heard of that amp if it wasn't for Peter Qvortrup partnering with the Japanese company. Peter Q ran Audio Innovations in the 80s and sold the company and used the money to SIGN AN AGREEMENT (a legal contract) with AN Japan and Kondo-San where-in Peter would do all the promotional work and put up ALL the money. Peter put 95% of the money up, promotes the product and buys the rights to the name brand outside of Japan where he would build with his staff lower priced versions. I always laugh at this stuff - Apple or Microsoft buy people out all the time - they get rich and then come back to complain with a feel sorry for me sob story. It's such BS.

And here's the thing - virtually every single product that anyone could actually afford from Audio Note is designed almost entirely by Andy Grove in the UK (who worked for Quad and various others) or Andy Whittle (Rogers/Celesetion chief designer) and Guy Adams (Voyd Turntables). AN Japan had zero to do with AN Digital, AN speakers, AN turntables, and any amp below the Ongaku or Gaku-ons or M7 preamp. AN UK makes everything below level 4 at that time.

For the other side of that story Peter Q made a post.

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=general&n=36887&highlight=Kondo+Peter+Qvortrup&r=&search_url=/cgi/search.mpl?ForumSelect=Selected&searchtext=&SelectForumgeneral=general

You are correct and in fact most threads that are started in a way to have other members belittle other members gear is a troll post. Tharbamar will not be back to have dialog in their own thread but is watching it.
 
I've had Akai gear and it was great and I still have some.:dunno:

The AKAI $350 (in 1985 dollars) mini-component system, I bought new in Japan, sounded so bad... I gave it away to my friend's young Japanese son. He liked it so it wasn't a total loss. BUT it was a total loss for me.

I just got a real 'bad model' that SOURED me on AKAI forever.

I then just bought a JVC 'boombox' stereo for my 45 day Japanese hotel stay, sounded great. Mission Complete.

---

Don't like post 1990 Sony too, BPC.

Hate Bose gear with a passion. Hate the company too.
 
Last edited:
The point of the thread was to attack Audio Note UK boys, and the OP has zero interest in what you all would or would not buy (which is why you have not seen the OP since). Audio Note UK was a tiny completely unknown Japanese brand with about 3 workers making very expensive products - around 3 products that would see the light outside of Japan and all three over $85,000.00US. The biggest name that perhaps non high end audiophiles would have ever heard of is the Ongaku which when AN UK released it to America was the most expensive amplifier in the world at $89,000. And no one here would have heard of that amp if it wasn't for Peter Qvortrup partnering with the Japanese company. Peter Q ran Audio Innovations in the 80s and sold the company and used the money to SIGN AN AGREEMENT (a legal contract) with AN Japan and Kondo-San where-in Peter would do all the promotional work and put up ALL the money. Peter put 95% of the money up, promotes the product and buys the rights to the name brand outside of Japan where he would build with his staff lower priced versions. I always laugh at this stuff - Apple or Microsoft buy people out all the time - they get rich and then come back to complain with a feel sorry for me sob story. It's such BS.

And here's the thing - virtually every single product that anyone could actually afford from Audio Note is designed almost entirely by Andy Grove in the UK (who worked for Quad and various others) or Andy Whittle (Rogers/Celesetion chief designer) and Guy Adams (Voyd Turntables). AN Japan had zero to do with AN Digital, AN speakers, AN turntables, and any amp below the Ongaku or Gaku-ons or M7 preamp. AN UK makes everything below level 4 at that time.

For the other side of that story Peter Q made a post.

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=general&n=36887&highlight=Kondo+Peter+Qvortrup&r=&search_url=/cgi/search.mpl?ForumSelect=Selected&searchtext=&SelectForumgeneral=general

Every story has different sides and we could be on any side of the story but the truth is I have no intention to attack ANUK whatsoever other than saying I won't buy it products, I've seen you protecting Peter Qvortrup on other forums as well(I'm not sure you are Peter Qvortrup himself or what but not my business) but nothing to argue here for me, your point is taken and I won't buy any of ANUK products.
 
The only realistic I bought was the Optimus x7 speakers.
12917607791387709823.jpg
they look cool, but the sound is very average,
I have a pair of ADS similar in size, no competition.
Even the little Mission ms50's shine well above those Optimus.
Mission_MS-50_Bookshelf_Speakers_speaker_system_loudspeakers_loudspeaker_%20(640x516).jpg
 
Would probably not buy a TEAC product , if they are still the same company that made all the old tape decks. My first real tape deck was a Teac Cassette deck, A160 I think. Failed three times in warranty and they would not take care of me with a new unit. F 'em
 
Sorry Guy's I'm lost on this thread as I have owned a lot gear over the years and had many a good times with what I had at the time.. So is this a bashing of equipment thread if so my first system was from radio shack and that was all I could afford at the time of my life :crazy::crazy::crazy: Maybe the OP should say let's bash equipment and never post again :crazy:
 
Sorry Guy's I'm lost on this thread as I have owned a lot gear over the years and had many a good times with what I had at the time.. So is this a bashing of equipment thread if so my first system was from radio shack and that was all I could afford at the time of my life :crazy::crazy::crazy: Maybe the OP should say let's bash equipment and never post again :crazy:
Smitty that's why I don't like threads or post that belittle any gear from crosley to sky is the limit. There is always someone on the site that owns it. There was just a thread, Ugliest Speakers that the op posted a photo, it took about five post till someone said "I have those speakers"
 
I like to think that AK is a Forum that no matter what gear you have it is a matter of what you can afford and like!! And Hell yes I have Owned some Shitty equipment over the years and in my shop I listen to a Dewalt Radio so now it's a screw dewalt thread!
 
Back
Top Bottom