• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

A hotrodded Bogen B-61?

I'm a fan of vintage Presto decks (one of few). Yes to Bogen-Presto as well.
The old original Prestos are probably beyond use for most hifi at this point, unless you dedicate to tweaking one to a high degree, which I have on a few occasions now. When some time is spent on them, they make wonderful hotrod decks. Can you get better stock deck, yes. Can you get better after building one out?

As far as vintage goes - you cannot get a more vintage deck in America than a Presto, as they were the worlds leader in broadcast decks and lathes from the later 1920's to the mid-50's. But considering the young ones amongst them are 55y.o.+, they ain't no spring chickens. So, you need to think in terms of overhauling or hotrodding them. I've built out two vintage Prestos, and two Bogen-Presto/Lencos.
I just put a new hardened steel spindle thrust plate into a '55 Presto for a drastic improvement in performance.
 
Last edited:
Fav's and 'best' are pretty much op as who's heard em all. I'm listening to Roy Clark's 'Stringin Along with the Blues" right now on My Lenco L75, and it is pretty sweet. I currently have a dual 1009 and a dual 606 direct drive plus a project garrard zero 100c and I listen to all of them but the Lenco is my fave. in anyof the gear configs I make I still come back to the Lenco. I am gonna try a thorens, and would love a 301 or 401 garrard (if anyone has an extra... ha!) and will keep switchin things up, but the Lenco is one I wouldn't give up. :thmbsp:
 
I am still using and very much enjoying some vintage turntables.

Garrard 401,Thorens TD150,AR XA,Thorens TD125 II.

A couple of months ago a Linn LP12 was among them and now it isn't.

That's my way to say which vintage turntables I consider as "best all rounders"


A few more that I no longer have:Pioneer PLC-590,Ariston RD-11 and Heybrook TT2,they are still in use however in very good friend's houses and systems.
 
Last edited:
Probably my Garrard 401, I brought it new in 1974 and have tried to better it so many times but I always go back to it. I do look after it, and use it correctly and its still as good as the day I brought it. that must be due to its simple design, battleship build, an NO electronics (well- one capacitor!). It also plays music well.

What more could one want?

Oh, I forgot this: it was a bloody great investment!
 
Best vintage ?

I still(since 1990) use my Maplenoll Athena Mk2 in my main system with various cartidges. Dont know if its old enough to be considered as vintage. However, it sounds fantastic even if its a pain in the --- to set up. But when its done you just enjoy the music. Dont think there are so many of those in Sweden either, should be quite rare over here.
 
This one.

attachment.php



:zoom:
 

Attachments

  • 100_3641.jpg
    100_3641.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 622
what is the best all around vintage turntable.

I have only started listening to vinyl 5 months ago, so i dont know what the best is.. What i can say is i started with a BENJAMEN MIRACORD ELAC 50H, And i really wasnt that impressed.. The i got a real deal on a ORACLE ALEXANDRIA MK2. That sounds unreal.. Im now doing a serious mod to a THORENS TD145.. Really hoeing it sounds good wene im thru with it..
 
Technics sl-1210m5g
or
Technics sp-10mk3 plus sh-10B5 plus KAB or thedelihaus modded Technics tonearm.
 
what is the best all around vintage turntable.

I have only started listening to vinyl 5 months ago, so i dont know what the best is.. What i can say is i started with a BENJAMEN MIRACORD ELAC 50H, And i really wasnt that impressed.. The i got a real deal on a ORACLE ALEXANDRIA MK2. That sounds unreal.. Im now doing a serious mod to a THORENS TD145.. Really hopeing it sounds good when im thru with it..
 
I haven't heard enough really hi-end tables to answer the original question, but I'm having a hell of a hard time choosing between a Yamaha PF-800 and a Pioneer PL-630, both new to me.

I do wish I could get the cueing working on the Pioneer though.
 
Best Turntable?

I have had many. The Marantz 6300 was such a nice looking and solid performing unit, and I see what they go for now. Solid construction. Beats out the Philips Model 312 that comes in second for me. This is just my own personal experience. Biggest personal turntable disappointment- Thorens TD-104. Used bargain basement RCA jacks and power cord....:music:
 
yes it does........three point, taper coil. Higher spring rate due to higher platter mass. I use the Linn springs when upgrading AR tables.

Same here with extended studs from Vinyl nirvana. This really helps. At least remove that gross foam and put it on a wall shelf folks if you cant do the spring/stud switch out.

Russellc
 
Back
Top Bottom