• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

Need Info Please!!

Hi! I am looking for help, if you can help me would be wonderful. recently my grandma passed away and she gave me a console/stereo/radio, honestly don't know brand, model, nothing about it. the main reason is, can you help me to make it work or just info? . already research in google but i can't find anything. the thing is like the late 70s


Please!!! Grees from Mexico


ps sorry bad grammer
 

Attachments

  • 11830312_10153585217671742_2062802456_n.jpg
    11830312_10153585217671742_2062802456_n.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 11798423_10153585217586742_504140887_n.jpg
    11798423_10153585217586742_504140887_n.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 11805961_10153585217386742_408732776_n.jpg
    11805961_10153585217386742_408732776_n.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 11816010_10153585217251742_4612007_n.jpg
    11816010_10153585217251742_4612007_n.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 64
If you just need a regular turntable just get a good quality heavy Sony, 80s era.

Then you could get a brand new $130 AT cart for sale on eBay for $75.

That would work fine.
 
Last edited:
Hi! I am looking for help, if you can help me would be wonderful. recently my grandma passed away and she gave me a console/stereo/radio, honestly don't know brand, model, nothing about it. the main reason is, can you help me to make it work or just info?

It would be better to start a new thread and ask for help there. The turntable is a late Garrard, which may work okay. The amp/tuner is likely to be solid state. If you can take the back off and post some pics of that, people can say more to help.
 

Very, very little out there in that class. One on that auction place right now at a sobering price...
 
I know this thread asks what are the best vintage turntables. I can't answer what is the best though, as it is very much based on experience and exposure.

I will say what have been some of my favourite turntables that I have tried. First, a bit of context.

I sell systems and gear I find and have cleaned up or refurbished as a hobby, and to help pay for the gear I am keeping. I have been doing this for a few years now. I have had many turntables, probably over a hundred different kinds, usually in the low end to mid range categories. Some turntables stand out heads and tails over the others.

I am defining vintage gear for the purposes of my response as 70s and 80s gear. Why? Because that is what I've had the most exposure to. Any omissions are only because I haven't encountered them to assess. The criteria that are important to me are; looks, sound quality, feel of controls and tonearm, quality of construction, and weight. Some tables won't show up on my list because I just didn't like using them. The B&O RX is one of those. It has beauty, weight, and sound quality, but I never liked the tonearm controls or feel.

My favourite turntables are;

Philips GA 312 Electronic Turntable. Servo controlled belt drive turntable with AR XA style suspension (spring loaded table and tonearm, touch controls, and a very nice Thorens TD-160 like styling. I have had three of these tables and always liked them a lot, especially with an ADC XLM cartridge.

Sansui SR-222 belt drive. I've had two of these, and there is something about how they look and sound that attracts me to them.

Kenwood KD-2055 Belt Drive table with a synthetic marble base. This table is heavy, solid, well isolated from vibration, and sounds very good. I have also had two of these. For the right price, I would buy one again, even with the funky auto return that inconsistently worked on both of them.

Sony. Just about any Sony turntable sounded better than you would expect, especially their low end turntables. They are surprising. But their better quality turntables really stand out. I have had between 5 and 10 different Sony turntables, all direct drive.

Yamaha PX-3 Linear tracking turntable. I love this table. It is my favourite table of all I have had, and is the primary table I still use in my reference system. It sits beside a Thorens TD-160.

My Thorens TD-160 is my second favourite table. It is more sensitive to vibration, but it sounds the same as the PX-3 even with a different cartridge. I got lucky matching them, and I use these two tables (TD-160 and PX-3) side by side to decide which records are the best in my duplicates.

Denon. I have liked every Denon turntable I have had the pleasure of looking at. They are also really well respected amongst those who know. I have only had one Denon turntable myself(DP-30L), but I have lusted over just about every Denon turntable I have seen. I love the styling, and the build quality of these tables. It was replaced by my Thorens TD-160.

Marantz 6200 belt drive turntable. This was my second turntable after the Denon DP-30L I started with when I got back into turntables. I liked it a lot, but it got beat out in SQ by my B&O RX.

Hitachi PS-48 direct drive. I loved this turntable. Styling, startup power, the ergonomics, controls, and SQ. It was pre-empted by my Yamaha PX-3.

Any Technics Linear Tracking turntable. Technics got these right. Even the cheap ones sound pretty good, but the good ones sound very good indeed. I sold mine because it had some cosmetic issues, but my SL-10 was an excellent performer.

Technics Direct Drive Turntables. These are solid to great performers, depending on the model. I don't care that much for the styling of most, except for the very best. Rugged Industrial look.

Garrard DD75 Direct Drive. This was Garrards first direct drive, and although the motor doesn't have the oomph of other direct drive turntables, it was a pleasure to use and listen to.

AR-XA. Last, but not least, I loved the musicality of my AR-XA. It was a solid performing turntable that just sounded great! A bit sensitive to vibrations, but I never got mine morinified.

As mentioned, these are my favourite tables. This is by no means a definitive list, just a list of what I liked of the tables I have had or tried.
 
Ditto to Bag's comments on the KD-2055 and AR-XA. KD-2055's are one of the best bang for the buck TT's out there, IMHO. I picked one up for $50 recently, with an Ortofon VMS 20ED MKII cart and it sounds extremely good.
 
My main turntable is a Dual 1019. Tempermental as all get out, but with all the kinks ironed out, it can put out some serious flavor (It has a lot of fans over at Lencoheaven, including the site's founder). For '50's, '60's, and '70's vinyl, the 1019 (along with the other Dual idlers with the heavier platters) just has that sound. Rich mids. And it has a way of making all the background microdetails as clear as the stuff up front. Combined with tube gear and a pair of old Wharfedales, the music has an authenticity to it that I don't hear with the later, more-modern gear I've auditioned. Something about the old idler-driven tables with heavy platters, they just have that rich, natural tone. I can't imagine playing old Stones, Zep, or Hendrix on anything else. You don't even need an expensive cart. Just an old M91 or one of the Shure classics (The OEM N91 Hi-Track stylus is the way to go... I need like a whole case of those, just enough to last me until I croak).
 
Last edited:
^I have a 1019 with a Shure V15 lll / SAS in my console. The speakers are Knight 3-ways running as 2 ways and I added modern horns. With the original little Lafayette integrated the sound was as you describe for acoustic, small group jazz, etc. For large band, electric rock, etc it was just so much soup and tiring except as background music. The system just couldn't resolve the richer, fuller, busier, what-ever-the-right-word-is content. Last month when I was home I swapped in a pristine Marantz 2015 and OMG what a difference. It's the classic 2 Martini sound and the glasses are sparkling crystal.
 
I have been looking for a Sanyo plus Q60 with little luck. It is my understanding these are of very high quality and have a superior build.
 
Very, very little out there in that class. One on that auction place right now at a sobering price...
If you are talking about one of them from Hong Kong - it sits there for few months already. Though if seller was located in US, it would be taken in few minutes for that price.
 
^I have a 1019 with a Shure V15 lll / SAS in my console. The speakers are Knight 3-ways running as 2 ways and I added modern horns. With the original little Lafayette integrated the sound was as you describe for acoustic, small group jazz, etc. For large band, electric rock, etc it was just so much soup and tiring except as background music. The system just couldn't resolve the richer, fuller, busier, what-ever-the-right-word-is content. Last month when I was home I swapped in a pristine Marantz 2015 and OMG what a difference. It's the classic 2 Martini sound and the glasses are sparkling crystal.

Yup. I would have guessed the Lafayette was the weak link there. With my Fisher 800C and just the stock phono section, late '60's and early '70's electric rock is just right. Side two of LZ IV (the 1st-pressing LP) is enough to make the little hairs stand up straight. The Stones' "Let It Bleed" is like a fly-on-the-wall peek into the LIB recording sessions (and this is with that ABKCO 180g remaster).
There's a guy in Europe who is a member at Lencoheaven, and he built a custom plate on his so he could use aftermarket tonearms, and he says emphatically that it's the best turntable he's ever heard. There are people on LH who prefer the 1019 to THEIR OWN Thorens TD-124 tables that they've compared side by side. But the 1019 is a damn-hard nut to crack. You first need to compensate for the compensated VTA, plus you can't use most protractors on it because of it's diminutive size. I mean, no BS. It's a huge PITA sometimes. But for me, the vinyl format itself is a big PITA.
 
Last edited:
Yup. I would have guessed the Lafayette was the weak link there. With my Fisher 800C and just the stock phono section, late '60's and early '70's electric rock is just right. Side two of LZ IV (the 1st-pressing LP) is enough to make the little hairs stand up straight. The Stones' "Let It Bleed" is like a fly-on-the-wall peek into the LIB recording sessions (and this is with that ABKCO 180g remaster).
There's a guy in Europe who is a member at Lencoheaven, and he built a custom plate on his so he could use aftermarket tonearms, and he says emphatically that it's the best turntable he's ever heard. There are people on LH who prefer the 1019 to THEIR OWN Thorens TD-124 tables that they've compared side by side. But the 1019 is a damn-hard nut to crack. You first need to compensate for the compensated VTA, plus you can't use most protractors on it because of it's diminutive size. I mean, no BS. It's a huge PITA sometimes. But for me, the vinyl format itself is a big PITA.

After spending years and many dollars on tables that asked you to measure, play, measure, play to the point that I either just played a cd or walked away completely, I decided to sell them and start over with gear that brought the enjoyment and simplicity of listening to music when I was a kid. The 1019 does that perfectly. A couple of lp's and a felt mat under the lp I'm playing gets me a level tonearm. And no need for a protractor. Just line up the tip of the stylus to the indentation on the side of the cartridge sled, per the Dual jig and I'm set. The way it was in 1975. Anything but a PITA. If it was, I'd be playing CDs. Life is too short.
 
I have been looking for a Sanyo plus Q60 with little luck. It is my understanding these are of very high quality and have a superior build.

Haven't used a Q60 before, but my lowly Q25 is a reliable turntable. Dead accurate speed, convenient cueing lever on the outside of the dustcover, great automatic functions. If you can score a Q60, go for it. If it's too expensive or difficult to find, a lower model in the series will do well too.
 
After spending years and many dollars on tables that asked you to measure, play, measure, play to the point that I either just played a cd or walked away completely, I decided to sell them and start over with gear that brought the enjoyment and simplicity of listening to music when I was a kid. The 1019 does that perfectly. A couple of lp's and a felt mat under the lp I'm playing gets me a level tonearm. And no need for a protractor. Just line up the tip of the stylus to the indentation on the side of the cartridge sled, per the Dual jig and I'm set. The way it was in 1975. Anything but a PITA. If it was, I'd be playing CDs. Life is too short.
You likely do not get even 50% of sound stored in LP from that table.
 
You likely do not get even 50% of sound stored in LP from that table.

I doubt that very much, having had some great, and very expensive rigs in the past. But I digress. The point is that I get what's most important to me. Enjoyment of the music. I'm not striving for every last detail. Romance and mystery is good. Obviously you and I have completely different viewpoints on this. But that's ok.
 
Back
Top Bottom