• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What was the last movie you watched?

Not too off topic, I hope: Data breach at AMC theaters allowed someone to use my stored payment info to charge a ticket. Fortunately, it was a virtual card that could only be used at AMC. Deleted that card, changed my AMC password, reported the breach, requested a refund. Good security hygiene can feel like a chore sometimes, but pays off in cases like this.
 
So we watched another Locherbie series, "Lockerbie; The Search for Truth" to see how the two compared and was surprised at the different endings. This one has the convicted bomber being a patsie for Iran or Ghadaffi and was set up to take the fall.

Food for thought....
 
Hadestown: The Musical


This is a film of what I would call a Broadway show, though the performance was actually in London.

It's a version of "Orpheus", with the grief-stricken musician trying to retrieve his beloved from the Underworld. The story seems to be transposed to the 20th century in terms of song, language and costumes. Some political undertones.

Quite entertaining. Patrick Page steals the show as Hades. I always wonder how performers have the stamina to do these shows and keep their voices!
 
Hatching (2022)

I really like this satirical and strange Finnish horror.
Excellent story that grabs your attention, very good acting by young leading actress and deacent effects.
 
Steve McQueen marathon on TCM.

I had forgotten he was the star of "The Blob".
Host said he turned down a percentage of the gross for 3500 bucks!

Then Bullitt.
Never seen that from the very beginning.
Host said (and I've thought for a long time) that the chase scene in "The French Connection" is almost as good if not as good.
Also said the plot "doesn't make sense", but it does. They just don't spell it out for you.

Then "Papillon".
Never seen it.
Host said "The Great Escape" was like a walk in the park compared to "the brutality" of Papillon.
Total of six years in solitary confinement. Yikes.
 
Last edited:
Not too off topic, I hope: Data breach at AMC theaters allowed someone to use my stored payment info to charge a ticket. Fortunately, it was a virtual card that could only be used at AMC. Deleted that card, changed my AMC password, reported the breach, requested a refund. Good security hygiene can feel like a chore sometimes, but pays off in cases like this.

At least they weren’t able to charge a large popcorn and large Coke at the theatre concessions, because otherwise you’d be destitute :):)
 
Steve McQueen marathon on TCM.

I had forgotten he was the start of "The Blob".
Host said he turned down a percentage of the gross for 3500 bucks!

Then Bullitt.
Never seen that from the very beginning.
Host said (and I've thought for a long time) that the chase scene in "The French Connection" is almost as good if not as good.
Also said the plot "doesn't make sense", but it does. They just don't spell it out for you.

Then "Papillon".
Never seen it.
Host said "The Great Escape" was like a walk in the park compared to "the brutality" of Papillon.
Total of six years in solitary confinement. Yikes.

The problem with the chase scene in Bullitt was that it was wholly unrealistic. It has been stated that the charger was driven slower to make the scene work as planned.

Other than that, I enjoyed the movie. And the best car in the movie was driven by his girlfriend. :D

McQueen’s personal Jag XKSS makes a brief appearance in the film.
 
Last edited:
The problem with the chase scene in Bullitt was that it was wholly unrealistic. It has been stated that the charger was driven slower to make the scene work as planned.

Other than that, I enjoyed the movie. And the best car in the movie was driven by his girlfriend. :D

McQueen’s personal Jag XKSS makes a brief appearance in the film.

...and of course the now iconic "lost five hubcaps" issue.
 
At least they weren’t able to charge a large popcorn and large Coke at the theatre concessions, because otherwise you’d be destitute :):)
Followup:

I thought it was a ticket purchase because it was just under $20.

I had forgotten that I am paying a yearly Stubs fee which replaces the usual per-movie fee. Since we see 90% of our movies at the nearby AMC, we come out ahead. The charge was legitimate, not a data breach.

AMC did have a major data breach several years ago; I saw reports of that in my Google search and jumped to the wrong conclusion. Also the information provided by my bank showed a theater location! My mistake! My apologies to AMC!

That said, it's still a good idea to use virtual credit cards, one per merchant. If a data breach does occur, your risk is confined.


Enough said!
 
Quadman2 had recommended The Illusionist 2006 - a film with Ed Norton, Jessica Biel and that dude from Sideways ... ;)
We had not seen it before, since it came out the same time as The Prestige , which I prefer, but it wasn't bad ...
View attachment 3817670
I love this movie. And I have seen The Prestige as well, and enjoyed it. But I like the Illusionist more, because of geographical setting and the time period of when the story takes place.
 
Back
Top Bottom