• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

What was the last movie you watched?

The Testament Of Ann Lee
(2025)

As I am not particularly interested in The Shakers -- including their so-called brilliant home furnishings craft -- I was drawn in to watch and hear this one for the musical content constructed mainly aroung Shaker hymns.
 
Wicked II
(2025)

I think I preferred this to Wicked I but in general it too is (for me) too little + too long.
 
The Abyss (1989) Dir. James Cameron.

I saw this on the big screen at a special screening back in the 90s.
It's a really good movie, pretty much nonstop action for 132 minutes. Obviously inspired in part by Close Encounters, with lots of pretty glowing lights and ethereal, non threatening Alien beings. May have also been an inspiration to make Titanic since it involves a lot of Deep Sea diving.

Cameron has directed several of my favorite films, Aliens, T-2- Titanic, not a fan of Avatar though.

TheAbyss.jpg
 
Steve McQueen marathon on TCM.

I had forgotten he was the star of "The Blob".
Host said he turned down a percentage of the gross for 3500 bucks!

Then Bullitt.
Never seen that from the very beginning.
Host said (and I've thought for a long time) that the chase scene in "The French Connection" is almost as good if not as good.
Also said the plot "doesn't make sense", but it does. They just don't spell it out for you.

Then "Papillon".
Never seen it.
Host said "The Great Escape" was like a walk in the park compared to "the brutality" of Papillon.
Total of six years in solitary confinement. Yikes.
Another good car chase scene was in the Roy Scheider film The Seven-Ups. I think legendary stuntman Bill Hickman orchestrated and drove in all three. He was the guy filmed behind the wheel of the Charger in Bullitt and the Grand Ville in the The Seven-Ups. Actually had a part in the last one so got more screen time.
 
Somewhat unanswered Q from 2049....

Why were the city streets so crowded?

I thought "everyone" was "off-worlding"...

...and that was kinda the whole point of replicants.

Much more sparsely populated in the original.
 
Watched War Machine (2026) on Netflix last night - and because it was so derivative,
and because Emma had never seen it, we watched Predator (1984) afterwards.
Arnold, Carl Weathers, and Jesse Ventura!
I recalled watching Predator when it was first run in a Md theatre that is no more ...
(The Allen Theatre, Takoma Park, MD)
 
Back
Top Bottom