• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's British in your system?

Michell Gyro SE & HR PSU
SME 3009 S2 (2)
SME III
Rega RB202 w/Michell TecnoWeight

KEF 104/2 (2 pairs, early and late)
KEF Reference Model Three
B&W DM4

Hiwatt Tube State 200R (2)
 
Last edited:
I was using the "standard" Michell clamp on the Gyro, but it's a real pita to use on a suspended table. Quickly upgraded to the (threaded spindle & clamp) Orbe clamping system.
You know someone was telling me about one but I didn’t understand exactly how it works…
 
I’ve been fiddling around with a Naim NAC 42.5 preamp for the last couple of months. Very weird, British. Typically is powered by a companion power amp (which I don’t have) so I’m building a dual 24 VDC power supply for it. All the connectors are DIN and a PITA.

53602807297_0384485c53_k.jpg
 
I’ve been fiddling around with a Naim NAC 42.5 preamp for the last couple of months. Very weird, British. Typically is powered by a companion power amp (which I don’t have) so I’m building a dual 24 VDC power supply for it. All the connectors are DIN and a PITA.

53602807297_0384485c53_k.jpg
Admire your tenacity an ingenuity. 8-)


Good luck,
Andy
 
Admire your tenacity an ingenuity. 8-)


Good luck,
Andy

Thanks!

Naim really doesn’t want you to use their gear outside of their ecosystem. The NAC 42.5 seems like a pretty nice preamp. Phono section has a lot of speed and detail.
 
You know someone was telling me about one but I didn’t understand exactly how it works…

With the standard Michell clamp, you push it down onto the record, then tighten the knob to secure it to the spindle. Works kind of like a drill chuck.

With the Orbe clamping system, you remove the original smooth spindle from the bearing and platter, and replace it with one that has a short smooth section for locating the record, but has a threaded upper section that the new record clamp screws on to. No more having to push-hold-tighten, you just thread the new clamp on and tighten it down.

Here is the original spindle as installed in the bearing. The remaining threaded portion in the middle is for the platter:

1717903539183.png



Here's the replacement spindle, the skinny threaded part at the top is for the clamp:

1717903360082.png
 
Yeah my Michell clamp is a collet type…..

Thanks for explaining, I’d made the assumption it worked something like that.

Andy
 
My system hasn't changed for a while now
I've been running my mission 770 MK2 since 2004. They're sat on ebony cones on top of foundation stand's that I think are also British
Same with my arcam cd73t that I brought the same year. Everything sits on a target stand.
Other things British are QED speaker cables and interconnect cables and Russ Andrews power cords.
 
Back
Top Bottom