• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Desperate for some OTA radio here in FM radio hell WUIN 98.3 ‘The Penguin’(?) plays some half way decent music.
The tuner is The Fisher FM-90x Gold Cascode with rabbit ears.
All three pieces date from late 1959. Unrestored!
Control pre is Model 90-C. Amp is a 100 ‘Box Car’
Speaker is a big ass honkin’ EV Aristocrat lll.
Photo View attachment 3826457

Beautiful
 
PICT0094.JPG
The monster of the Midway, Chicago's own Sherwood HP 5500. Driving an LM-4500 MPX decoder from Bob Fitzgerald. Sounds lovely on this excellent recording:

Violin Concerto #1
COMPOSER: Niccolo Paganini
ENSEMBLE: London Symphony Orchestra
SOLOIST: Midori, violin
CONDUCTOR: Leonard Slatkin, conductor
ALBUM: Paganini & Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos
LABEL: Newton Classics
 
View attachment 3835908
The monster of the Midway, Chicago's own Sherwood HP 5500. Driving an LM-4500 MPX decoder from Bob Fitzgerald. Sounds lovely on this excellent recording:

Violin Concerto #1
COMPOSER: Niccolo Paganini
ENSEMBLE: London Symphony Orchestra
SOLOIST: Midori, violin
CONDUCTOR: Leonard Slatkin, conductor
ALBUM: Paganini & Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos
LABEL: Newton Classics

Looks like the match to the 1000 and 2000 amps, killer looking tuner!
 
Thanks, you are correct. Sherwood launched the high-performance HP series; Hewlett-Packard was supposedly not happy about the moniker.

I had the 1000 and a 2000 years ago, the chassis was built like a computer chassis.

Oddly enough I think I still have the original service manual. They were cool amps, sold them to a guy on CL years ago. I should have kept them.
 
I seem to have lost WICN 90.5 in Worcester, MA very poor reception. Same on all units in home. Wonder if they did something in the studio?
 
Pretty good reception around here. CJRT is still listenable this afternoon. Usually, that’s an evening only station for me. My Sony is able to receive CBCK 107.5 from Kingston, 97 miles away


View attachment 3815525
Glad to see the cult of the little Sony, of which I am a member in good standing, is alive and well. I keep waiting for a successor. Meantime, I bought a Sangean for a good price. The AM section is supposedly really solid. Haven't unpacked it yet.
 
Glad to see the cult of the little Sony, of which I am a member in good standing, is alive and well. I keep waiting for a successor. Meantime, I bought a Sangean for a good price. The AM section is supposedly really solid. Haven't unpacked it yet.
Glad to see you are still tuning in @satkinsn . Havent seen you in the Tuners forum in a while.
 
Age and its consequences. It's an old, not very interesting story. I have reason to travel in the Rochester area now a couple times a year. What's the best record store?
I am familiar with the consequences of age...

The Bop Shop on Monroe Ave would be top of the list, with The Record Archive at 33 1/3 Rockingham St second. There are a couple of smaller shops that i have never visited.

Jazz901/WGMC is having a used CD sale on October 17, 2026 from 10 am to 1pm. The music director, Derrick Lucas, is also saying there will be vinyl. Not sure exactly what they will be culling from their library.
 
Last edited:
I am familiar with the consequences of age...

The Bop Shop on Monroe Ave would be top of the list, with The Record Archive at 33 1/3 Rockingham St second. There are a couple of smaller shops that i have never visited.

Jazz901/WGMC is having a used CD sale on October 17, 2026 from 10 am to 1pm. The music director, Derrick Lucas, is also saying there will be vinyl. Not sure exactly what they will be culling from their library.
The Bop Shop looks great! I think I'll make a day of it.
 
Back
Top Bottom