• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Don't know the TU-800 but I put my TU-850 in the same bin as my Sony ST-A6B and woefully dead at the moment Tandberg TPT 3001. I'd expect similar from the Sony ST-5130 above but as mentioned it's stumbling a bit through the dial.
 
Wrpi on a Tandberg 3001a and an Onkyo T-15 right now depending what room I am in.

Steve


WRPI! Need to direct my aerial in that direction. Excellent station! Next then will be WVKR.

And that reminds me, WFMU. Caught wind of that on the mountain top. I'm a little south of Palenville now so that maybe iffy. There's always more mast...
 
Currently I have a Yamaha TX-1000 in the rotation and am listening to a local community radio station (low on the dial with very little to no compression). The TX-1000 stepped in for a T-85, which stepped in for a T-2x (rare) and a CT-1010 before that. They all take turns. I like the remote control option with the TX-1000 and don't currently have a set-up that can take advantage of the T-85s DX-ing superiority or that will really let the CT-1010 shine (except for on a couple of stations that I don't normally listen to).

I love the way these make FM sound!
 
Asha said "I love the way these make FM sound!"

I'll second that! Really nice tuners with good reception of a station that doesn't mess around too much with its signal sounds as good as a CD.
 
I'm listening to an XM station (contempory jazz) being broadcast to my Marantz 120b via my FM transmitter.

A comment on the 120b. It got a not so good write up on fmtunerinfo. I think it sounds pretty good. There are many ways to judge a tuner, sound is most important to me, specs are important to others. I don't need to pull in a station from far away or fight against an adjacent channel so I don't know how it would perform in those circumstances. They usually don't sell for much. I would hate to see someone pass one of these up because of the write up.
 
WRPI! Need to direct my aerial in that direction. Excellent station! Next then will be WVKR.

And that reminds me, WFMU. Caught wind of that on the mountain top. I'm a little south of Palenville now so that maybe iffy. There's always more mast...

Try WEXT 97.7 .. should be due north of you in Amsterdam.
I only get it well between fall and spring.

Steve
 
Special occasions get the Scott LT-110 tube tuner,
and everyday stuff gets the Tivoli 1 radio.
 
I love my Tivoli radio too, but don't you think that poor Scott deserves to get going and warm up a little more often? You don't want that Scott to 'feel' under-appreciated now, do you?
 
I love my Tivoli radio too, but don't you think that poor Scott deserves to get going and warm up a little more often? You don't want that Scott to 'feel' under-appreciated now, do you?


Believe me the Scott gets plenty of work. I think of it as my Mariano Rivera
tuner. You wouldn't use Mariano in long relief would you?
 
Try WEXT 97.7 .. should be due north of you in Amsterdam.
I only get it well between fall and spring.

Steve

At this location for years has been filled at that spot by what's usually a golden oldies format station from somewhere downstate. I give it a try though as I love finding new signals.
 
I'll second that! Really nice tuners with good reception of a station that doesn't mess around too much with its signal sounds as good as a CD.

And sometimes even better ;) ... the community radio station I referred to still spins vinyl along with CDs, etc., depending on the DJ's whim. Sometimes a show will be all vinyl, but usually it's a mix. It's cool to here the telltale signs of an LP and realize that I'm actually listening to the tuner and not to my turntable. :yes:
 
Could do this every day (75% of my listening is FM). Tonight it is the 'full-house' Sony ST-J75. Recapped, aligned and a few other bits done by our own dr*audio. Jazz on WRTI, 90.1 out of Temple Univ.
 
Could do this every day (75% of my listening is FM). Tonight it is the 'full-house' Sony ST-J75. Recapped, aligned and a few other bits done by our own dr*audio. Jazz on WRTI, 90.1 out of Temple Univ.

Beautiful Tuner the Sony. I have a couple fully synthesized units and have to say they do deliver. I wonder how the Sony compares to the Carver TX-11 (PSB-11) ? Really I don't know.
 
Beautiful Tuner the Sony. I have a couple fully synthesized units and have to say they do deliver. I wonder how the Sony compares to the Carver TX-11 (PSB-11) ? Really I don't know.
Thanks.....wish I could take credit for something more than listening to the ST-J75. It is a terrific tuner and it has been my pleasure to introduce it to several others, including dr*audio, who was using one as his shop tuner, and Bob F., who runs the FM Tuner group on Yahoo, among others. It is the quietest tuner I've owned (only had about 50 FM tuners over the past 35 years :yes:) and one of the most sensitive, as well. Bob F., who, as you might imagine, is quite knowledgeable in things FM tuner, is favorably impressed with the overall design and execution. Especially as it was Sony's first digital tuner. He is busy working some of his personal design magic on one, so will be interesting to 'hear' his results. In stock form he has been able to pick some stations that even some of his best tuners struggled with in the past. Can't tell you a thing about comparing to the Carver. I'm strictly a McIntosh, Sony & Yamaha person. Can only stand so much of a good thing.
 
Echoes with John Delorrinto. WXXI 91.5 on my TU-717. Actually turned off the Sony to hear my Sansui for this tonight.
 
It's Saturday night and the Blues Party is on WFPK till Midnight ......


Still going through the Hitachi FT - 5500 .




Barney
 
Try WEXT 97.7 .. should be due north of you in Amsterdam.
I only get it well between fall and spring.

Steve

I can tell you guys are in my "neighborhood"

I listen to WRPI 91.5, WEXT 97.7, WMHT 89.1, WAMC 90.3...

Skidmore (WSPN 91.1), Union (WRUC 89.7), SUNY Albany (WCDB 90.9), VPR (WBTN 94.3 & WVTQ 95.1) WFCR (88.5 Amherst MA). I usually skip over Sienna (WVCR 88.3).

And guess what - That's 11 stations, all these received over the air via roof mounted antenna, all are non-commercial, no ads, public nonprofit stations.

Decent listening around here, for sure.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom