• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha CA 600 Repair 2026

I usually buy in 10 just to have extras but resistors are cheap and if you plan to do more projects maybe get 20 .

Can you recommend a huge variety pack that is a reputable product from Amazon or something with about a 1000 pieces or so?

I see a bunch on there for $20 to $30 bucks.

Or if any are advertised with a hot babe on the package, I like blondes.
 
Can you recommend a huge variety pack that is a reputable product from Amazon or something with about a 1000 pieces or so?

I see a bunch on there for $20 to $30 bucks.

Or if any are advertised with a hot babe on the package, I like blondes.
The issue I have with the resistor kits. 99.8% of the kit will never be used. So you spend 20-30 greenbacks for a couple 5 cent resistors from China. That doesn't a whole lot of since to me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mbz
Avionic,

I totally understand that philosophy but we have Amazon Prime so shipping is free and Mouser shipping for 20 resistors will be $10 and I don't have anything else to order from Mouser. So with Tax and Tariff my Mouser total will be $16.00 for 20 resistors.

Plus Mouser will be 5 days and they are reporting they are behind in shipping and Amazon will be next day or two day.

Four more dollars and I get 1000 resistors??? Are you sure its not worth it?
 
Whats it worth? To get exactly what and how many you need. Without hoping you might have the correct piece for the application. Or secondary orders because you don't.

Caveat. I usually order parts for somebody else. :biggrin:

It's your project. Your cash. :thumbsup:
I will still be here. :biggrin: To ..... heckle you.:rflmao:
 
Last edited:
Amazon is no better with time shipping these, Oct 2nd for me if I ordered what I linked above .
i could have either on tues.

i bought similar kits years ago for tinkering with stuff i was building. i will use one if i need one to get something up and running but i will not leave that part in it. i will order quality parts from mouser or digikey.

i have never heard of a metal carbon film resistor before.

1% my ass!

the leads are a bit larger than a hair. when you get to the 1 and 2 watt sizes the leads are about a quality 1/4watt lead size.

It's your project. Your cash.

agreed. horse/water/drink/etc
 
i bought similar kits years ago for tinkering with stuff i was building. i will use one if i need one to get something up and running but i will not leave that part in it. i will order quality parts from mouser or digikey.
I do the same, bought a kit years ago and use them to get a working unit, then order from Mouser or Digikey .

But my kits the leads are pretty good, not thin as hair, at least the 1/2 watt kit is.

Athanasios
 
90 min. north in Fort Dodge.
Oh I read that wrong, I thought you wrote 90 North Of Fort Dodge, not IN Fort Dodge.

Once again, I grew up in Dodge, Graduated FDHS in 1983.

Kind of knew Roger Messerly, the local electronics repair guy up there.

Why are you not repairing stuff in dirty Dodge?
 
I got another MultiMeter. And it checks transistors although I don't know how to do that yet.
 

Attachments

  • cacca38b-7ad6-408b-8b54-10dd45b4b108.jpg
    cacca38b-7ad6-408b-8b54-10dd45b4b108.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2
  • cec13042-fa6d-4a66-a030-9a0670701f2b.jpg
    cec13042-fa6d-4a66-a030-9a0670701f2b.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1
I got another MultiMeter. And it checks transistors although I don't know how to do that yet.
Insert transistor in socket provided with correct pinout the set MM to hfe scale, expecting the MM will give you the hfe. Think you would be better off with the cheap chi testers as per Nashou66 but I'm not a big fan of the zero presuure socket, the one pictured looks ok since its screwed down, the early ones had the ZP socket plugging into another socket (wtf?) so it could fall out and damage pins and... Such testers will give you transistor type, pinout, hfe and Vbe. I should buy a more robust unit like the DCA or...
 
Why are you not repairing stuff in dirty Dodge?
I am, primarily Yamaha power amps and pre-amps,. ;) I graduated in 75 from FDSH . My father repaired Rogers problem pieces back in the 70's.. I worked for Homer L Davidson at Davidson RCA TV until I enlisted. I think I pissed off Homer. RIP.

 
Last edited:
After replacing the fusibles remember to first power up on DBT to make sure there are no issues. Why did the fusibles blow?
 
And get yourself a transistor/Parts tester, it will help you immensely , best 14 bucks you will spend on this hobby.I am planning on it.
Ordered it this morning.
I am, primarily Yamaha power amps and pre-amps,. ;) I graduated in 75 from FDSH . My father repaired Rogers problem pieces back in the 70's.. I worked for Homer L Davidson at Davidson RCA TV until I enlisted. I think I pissed off Homer. RIP.
I think we communicated before, I don't remember where but it was in the past few years. I went into Skylabs in West Des Moines and told them I would like to work there for free. They wanted nothing to do with it. I don't understand how you can have a vintage stereo shop and not repair vintage audio. They only work on what they sold. That's like buying a new Oldsmobile at Bob Kidd Olds and taking it for service and they tell you, SORRY, we don't work on that crap. Oh and I remember SP Electronics too, I believe the owners name was Sergei???
Maybe it was because of many of the transistors on the amp board were installed backwards?
And transistors in the PSB installed wrong and in the Function Control Board. Don't worry all the trans were replace with new. 100% planned on starting out with the DBT.
 
Last edited:
i don't blame them. i've worked at bodyshops that had interns or even paid appentices in autobody school and they have made big ole messes that i've had to fix.
But thats BS, you want to sell vintage electronics but when it comes to repair it's Too Bad So Sad??? I am by no means even close to an expert but I would like to learn more about the hobby. I learn fast and I can do anything mechanical. I retired at 55 and for the past 7 years I have been restoring and repairing cars and motorcycles and vintage electronics and anything around the house that needs it but diagnosing electronics is damn near kicking my ass. Who is going to repair this stuff in 20 years. There is not one single repair shop in Des Moines Iowa and we are talking almost 2 million people here and the surrounding communities.
 
Back
Top Bottom