• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your favorite rock drummers?

i will say that Neil Pert didn't do well in Jazz...

I saw his "Burning for Buddy" videos, and yes you are quite right! He is to stiff and doesn't swing...

But I will say this, I've always looked forward to each release of Rush's albums to hear what NP would do different, and I was never disappointed. He has his own signature style, but is not afraid to try different things. Many of today's so-called "hot" drummers have about five tricks that they do well, and feel the need to play those tricks as often as possible in each and every song!
 
Yeah but their new drummer is Keith Carlock and he blows 'em all away. He hasn't been with them long enough to have played on a studio album but I've seen them live twice with Carlock and he's tremendous... came from the jazz "college" at U. of N. Texas.

Keith plays on every song on their latest: "Everything Must Go".

I've seen them live with Keith as well. Not my cup of tea. He's good, but certainly not Gadd or Purdie.

My vote goes to Jeff Porcaro.
 
Keith plays on every song on their latest: "Everything Must Go".

I've seen them live with Keith as well. Not my cup of tea. He's good, but certainly not Gadd or Purdie.

My vote goes to Jeff Porcaro.

Not your cup of tea? :scratch2:
I made a bad assumption about EMG... I got the impression that he had just joined them before the Sugartooth McDan tour based on Fagen's introduction. I haven't seen Gadd or Purdie live, but I must say their studio work was excellent... same goes for Porcaro whom I saw live with Toto. Still, Carlock is fantastic.
 
Not your cup of tea? :scratch2:
I made a bad assumption about EMG... I got the impression that he had just joined them before the Sugartooth McDan tour based on Fagen's introduction. I haven't seen Gadd or Purdie live, but I must say their studio work was excellent... same goes for Porcaro whom I saw live with Toto. Still, Carlock is fantastic.

He is apparently the band's cup of tea. They've said that they feel like they finally found a drummer that "gets" them. That makes for a pretty auspicious list of drummers that didn't, I guess.

I thought he butchered Aja live. That's my problem though. :)
 
Personally, I'm a Stewart Copeland fan. Since he's been mentioned here before here are a few more that haven't been...

Manu Ketche and Omar Hakim are both great studio drummers. They did work with Sting when he started his solo career. After them he picked up Vinnie Colaiuta who is simply amazing. Apparently Sting has good taste in drummers.

This one may seem odd, but I always liked Jerry Speiser of Men At Work. I'm not sure what it is that really draws me to his work but his drumming really meshes well with the music. Best? Not even close. Underrated? Possibly. But he's still one of my favorites.

How about Mick Fleetwood? I like his stuff too. Definitely not a straight 2-4 type guy.

Ray
 
I saw his "Burning for Buddy" videos, and yes you are quite right! He is to stiff and doesn't swing...

But I will say this, I've always looked forward to each release of Rush's albums to hear what NP would do different, and I was never disappointed. He has his own signature style, but is not afraid to try different things. Many of today's so-called "hot" drummers have about five tricks that they do well, and feel the need to play those tricks as often as possible in each and every song!


I admit Neil isn't the best at jazz drumming, but then I'm no drum (or Jazz) expert anyway. I like his big band endings to his recent live drum solos though. And he pretty much always appears stiff, he's just so foucused when drumming. He actually admitted this himself, when he said on his website about his performances in the Buddy Rich Tribute concert: "And yet...I still had a nagging feeling that when I played in that style, I was just imitating it, not really feeling it properly. As the old Duke Ellington standard goes, 'It don’t mean a thing, if it ain’t got that swing', and I didn’t think I did." He's simply a very serious, structured, and discipline drummer (at least these days), he looks almost grave when drumming live and doesn't variate or improvise much (if at all, if something is different in his live druming on a song, it was preplanned and changed way before the actual performance). He's in a new Drum Channel Buddy Rich Memorial Concert btw, for which he supposedly studied under Peter Erskine...maybe he'll be more loose on this one?

Anyway, I totally agree about being excited about the release of each new Rush album to see what Neil (as well as Ged and Alex), will do next! On each album they innovate their sound while still remaining Rush...different, yet still the same. Before Test for Echo (in case you didn't know), Neil studied under Freddy Grubber and totally reworked his drumming style. That's why it sounds very different on Test for Echo and live on Different Stages, the concert album from the Test for Echo tours, from his previous work. I'm not sure, but I think he's said that the drumming on Test for Echo is his best yet (but this was before Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows came out), and that's why he used songs from it for his instructional DVD "A Work in Progress".

Okay, and now back to the thread. :D
 
Bonham, pull his sound track out of the record it leaves a pretty frail piece of music. Ginger Baker ,because he says he's the best. OK he is maybe.
 
Back
Top Bottom