• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your Speakers and Your Wife

My wife (at first) used to give me grief about speakers and gear and records and cds, mainly due to space limitations - but in recent years she's come to understand she married a "music man" - and just accepts this as part of the deal :D
 
I let the wife fill every other room of the house with whatever she wants, as long as I get one room. She even helped me repaint in two shades of silver to compliment the vintage gear.
She does still have a sewing desk in the room, but it's surrounded by speakers.
It helps that she's a borderline hoarder. She can't complain about 8 or 9 sets of speakers when there's 100lbs of National Geographic magazines in the closet, probably 35 houseplants scattered around, and unfinished knitting/crocehting/sewing projects in every drawer and closet.

She likes the Pioneer lattice grills, so my CS-99's are incorporated with a 5.1 surround system in the living room through a Setton RS-660. So far that's the only gear that has migrated out of the sanctuary.
 
My main listening room has three systems in it. Counting the TV, my laptop, and the speakers, there are 34 pieces of gear in the room. All are connected and working. I have a 2 channel system connected to the laptop, a 2.1 main system, and a 5.2 home theater. There is also a large collection of CDs, records, and tapes along with a VPI RCM in there.

When we built the house, I designed the room for this very purpose. I insulated not only the outside walls, but the inside walls and the ceiling also. The rear speaker wires for the HT were run inside of the walls before the drywall was hung.

I also had a 2 channel system long before I met her. She knew what she was getting into when she married me. BTW, I also have a 2 channel system in the living room and the master bedroom.

There is also 2 pairs of stacked Advents in the system in my son's room. He will be graduating from college in May with an engineering degree and will be taking that gear with him. He also is a musician with two electric basses, two large speaker cabs and an acoustic guitar. My daughter also took a system with her when she left.

Fortunately for me, my wife also likes music. :music:
 
My Wife doesn't even pay attention anymore despite the fact that I seem to always have gear coming and going. I like it that way.
 
My Wife doesn't even pay attention anymore despite the fact that I seem to always have gear coming and going. I like it that way.

:thmbsp: Mine doesn't either. Although lately, there isn't much gear coming and going, but I have records arriving almost every week.
 
My wife came with me this summer to look at a pair of cornwalls. They were the light colored plywood. Didn't bother me, as long as they sounded good. When we walked in to the stereo room to check them out, the guy also had a pair in walnut with the risers. When the fella went to turn on the system, she leaned over and said "don't even think about those ugly ones, get the nice ones!" So I did...
 
No wife, no girlfriend- just my mom. And we each have our own end of the house to do whatever we want to. I got 5 pairs of speakers, and parts for at least a few more pairs. She doesn't care one way or the other as long as I help pay the bills.
 
I have never been married nor have I ever had a live in GF so I have never had a problem!! I currently have 7 pairs of speakers all located in the living room. My 4 cats dont complain at all!!:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Another who married well! My wife only cares on the final end ..... SOUND! Trusts me completely. I know I'm a very luck man.

Thirty seven years and counting.

Plus it helps when you can turn a profit on other likes......



Barney
 
well the cornwalls were sold a few yrs back, irronically we have the room for them again
big doesn't phase her, ugly things do.
ive been lucky, but being a sound professional herself, i guess thats a plus
now, if only i could do something with that big set of VOT utilitys stored in the furnace room LOL
 
P.S. Followup, yes my nice speakers were banished to the storage room for the holidays. It may be a battle to get them back upstairs later.

Sometimes I'll show my wife a picture I've seen on AK of a nice dining or living room with big ugly speakers and say to her "Aren't you glad you are not married to him?"

Sometime's I"ll get a chuckle out of her.

I am out of town overnight in a motel. The kids and wife bought a Chirstmas tree tonight and are rearranging the living room. I suspect my speakers will be in the storage room in the basement by the time I get home. She's been lamenting the "College Dorm" look of the stereo in the living room for a while and making loud noises like it's got to go. I tried to explain that my AR-10pi's were TOTL in their day and are covered all the way around in real walnut but it made no difference to her.

At least I still have my office system.
 
Here's a pic of me and the wife in my audio room. As you can tell by the look on her face, she really digs it. She loves all of it, the turntables, the amps, and ESPECIALLY the wall of speakers behind her....:thmbsp:



attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 442
Apogee Centaur Minors got to go in master bedroom

Poor wife, been in the hospital for a week and very angry at me.
States the speakers got to go or divorce papers.
Bummer, stereophile class B and I really like the imaging. She has used them to hang wet towels and then I had to rewire the tweeters to bypass the moisture induced corrosion on the wiring interface two or three times. I just fixed them in a rather permanent way recently
 
hahahaha...I can so relate to this.

My wife and I were out exploring in Portland last Summer and she wanted to stop into a used record store. (What?!?!?! I said to myself...) So we did and she was looking for a particular record. Well surprise surprise she found it! I told her we didn't have a TT and she said that didn't matter, she just wanted the record.

Well, a while later we passed by an audio store that has been in business since 1947 or so and they are a dealer for a brand of speaker I was very interested in. I told her they could clean and play her record if she wanted and she liked the idea.

In we went and the sales rep said he sure could do that for us. He escorted us into the listening room (which just so happened to have the speakers on display I was really interested in ) and as he prepared to fire up the VPI cleaner, he said he'd play some other music for us while he cleaned the record. He kind of set the stage on what we'd hear and how clear it would be (Bryston BDA-1, Bryston amp, 24/192 FLAC file, Aerial Acoustic speakers) and then on came the music.

That was the first time ever I've seen her stop talking, close her eyes and just sit back, enjoying the music.

When he played some of the record, she did the same thing.

I'm thinking I'm golden at that moment because the speakers were on my list of "Nice To Have's" as I was bent on upgrading mine.

Then she saw the retail price card...she looked at me and said, "No!" Buzz Kill!!!

But she does enjoy music and I've since upgraded my speakers (and a bunch of other gear) so she will sit and listen. For the longest time, music was just a background thing for her...noise to accompany whatever else she was doing. Now, every once in a while she just stops what she's doing and sits quietly.

I think she is learning how to listen.

And I got the speakers I wanted...Aerial Acoustic 8's!!!
PICT0003_zpse35612a0.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have Altec 19's coming in a week or two. So far she's been alright with it, although she hasn't seen them in person yet. :worried:
 
I wouldn't have the gear I have now if it wasn't the other guy's significant other forcing him to sell lol.
 
Last edited:
My wife cares only about how the speakers sound. My favorite story is this - at AK Fest a few years ago, we heard the amazing little Role Audio Sampan FTLs. As we left the room she said "we are going to buy those, aren't we?" :)

Women usually have great ears.

There is a delicate compromise in our household. I can pretty much do whatever I want to downstairs (which is fine as the good stuff.. tubes... are there) but she has to have say in what goes upstairs. As long the room doesn't look like a stereo shop or speakers don't look like speakers (big box), she seems more open to them. I've had Time Windows in there she didn't even think was a speaker (she asked why I got rid of the speakers and replaced them with plant stands). About a year ago I took a shot at a from scratch DIY build. Partially inspired by Thiel & some Sequerra Pyramids I had, I designed the cabinets as a truncated pyramid and she really seems to like those and they sound good too (not trying to toot my own horn). She got mad when I put those downstairs and put some JBL 4411's in their place. The 4411's are now back in the closet and the DIY's are coming back. Will post when I get a chance to take a picture.

Quite a compliment to your speaker designing/ building/ finishing skills.

Another who married well! My wife only cares on the final end ..... SOUND! Trusts me completely. I know I'm a very luck man.

Thirty seven years and counting.

Plus it helps when you can turn a profit on other likes......



Barney

A fellow addict. :thmbsp: Does she have her own AK account? :D
 
My wife has no interest or input on equipment choices, just the price tag! If I get a new piece she usually asks don't you already have that or why do I need it. Then I start down the path of why I think I do and she instantly regrets asking, lol. As soon as I get into the details of the equipment I can see her glaze over and become lost. I think she figures it's easier to roll with it than try and understand it. It works, happily married for 16 years and counting!

Boy is THAT familiar!
 
Back
Top Bottom