• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Yeah that's what I got with a pencil. The 7.5 came from an online calc for box volume. I must have input something wrong. I guess I better stick with what I know....old school.
 
Thats exactly what happened. It was supposed to subtract an inch from all sides for the wall thickness. I did something wrong. All is good, going to Vancouver this week to pick up the veneer for the baffles. I'll post pics when they're done. Yee-hawwww..........
 
Thats exactly what happened. It was supposed to subtract an inch from all sides for the wall thickness. I did something wrong. All is good, going to Vancouver this week to pick up the veneer for the baffles. I'll post pics when they're done. Yee-hawwww..........

Looking forward to the build. Be sure to document the veneering job!

Russellc
 
That's the question and I didn't want to go through Similosts whole thread to find the answer.
I know duffinator built some. I was hoping someone that has built them would chime in. :yes:

If you use the wood grill on the front, you will have to recess the front baffle to set the waveguide face flush to the baffle..

Also, this is part of the reason I put the woofer on the rear of the baffle. No room with the wood grill. The other reason is, if you use a 15" woofer, and the larger jbl waveguide the two will have to overlap, and one on front and the other on the rear is the only way they will fit, unless you use a JBL woofer with the 4 flat sides.
 
Zilch,

At one point you did a minimal crossover for the B&C DE250 and QSC waveguide. I really can't recall what woofer.

In that crossover you had a capacitor (5uf from memory) and maybe an L-pad. I don't believe you where using any compensation. I don't think you had an inductor between the + and - as well.

What does adding the inductor do to the HF section? Is it to protect the compression driver or is there some measurable difference in the frequency response? I am contemplating adding that inductor in my "minimal crossover" that I am using with the BMS 4552.
 
Zilch,

At one point you did a minimal crossover for the B&C DE250 and QSC waveguide. I really can't recall what woofer.

In that crossover you had a capacitor (5uf from memory) and maybe an L-pad. I don't believe you where using any compensation. I don't think you had an inductor between the + and - as well.

What does adding the inductor do to the HF section? Is it to protect the compression driver or is there some measurable difference in the frequency response? I am contemplating adding that inductor in my "minimal crossover" that I am using with the BMS 4552.

The inductor makes it a 2nd order filter. By shunting the frequencies below which its impedance (inductance) becomes significant, they pass through the inductor to ground rather than through the driver. In the standard Ewave configuration this is necessary to ensure good phase matching, and also gives a steeper filter slope and protects the driver from overexcursion.

For the standard Ewave you should definitely include this coil, particularly since you have rough response below about 1500Hz due to the loss of pattern control.

My current XO is 5uF, used with impedance compensation on a JBL 2426h. I haven't changed it, with the exception of adding an extra damping resistor (in parallel with the driver) since changing my Baddy-waves to the Bumma shown here (this is only 2 days ago). Woofer in both cases is JBL 2226h, the foam collar is there to damp the horn cutoff resonances (below pattern control region) and is to my opinion necessary if you're going to use a simple cap-based XO. The yellow foam in the throats is reticulated aquarium foam, used for suppression of "HOM" (sound bouncing around within the device), which are a marginally debated issue. I like the sound better with the foam so that's good enough for me.

Baddy-waves

p1010044l.jpg


Bumma
finishedosguides3.jpg
 
Zilch,

At one point you did a minimal crossover for the B&C DE250 and QSC waveguide. I really can't recall what woofer.

In that crossover you had a capacitor (5uf from memory) and maybe an L-pad. I don't believe you where using any compensation. I don't think you had an inductor between the + and - as well.

What does adding the inductor do to the HF section? Is it to protect the compression driver or is there some measurable difference in the frequency response? I am contemplating adding that inductor in my "minimal crossover" that I am using with the BMS 4552.
Ultimately, I did add the inductor, for additional protection of the driver, not for its contribution to the filter transfer function within the bandpass, largely out of concern that some builders might well use these designs in high SPL applications. It's a consideration that Wayne Parham brings to the table here, and I respect his experience in such matters. The HT enthusiasts also talk a lot about high SPL in their applications; I try to be sure that, real or not, EconoWave meets those specs.... :yes:
 
Update on my Advent 5002 project.I have finished one and waiting for the weekend to get here to get on the other one.First impression on the one thats done it sounds great deep bass and very detailed highs very nice.:yes:Heres a couple of pictures.Need more refoam practice but they sound good, going to have to put some velcro in the holes for the grill they will stand out a little but it will keep danger away.:D
 

Attachments

  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 48
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 54
I can never build two at once; gotta be listening to one while completing the second of a pair.... :thmbsp:

Sansui G8000 is cranking the tunes as I type great speaker walnut veneer here we come!!!:D


Hey Zilch do these go on the project list.
 
Last edited:
Hey Zilch, some guy locally is selling a pair of JBL 123A1 woofers ($85), would that be a good deal to pick up for ewaving? Seems like they want a big cabinet to fully utilize. Didn't you use these on one version? Did they reach to 1.6kHz ok?
 
Hey Zilch, some guy locally is selling a pair of JBL 123A1 woofers ($85), would that be a good deal to pick up for ewaving? Seems like they want a big cabinet to fully utilize. Didn't you use these on one version? Did they reach to 1.6kHz ok?

You're a lucky guy if you get a pair of 123A-1 for $85 in good shape. They're perfect for Ewaving and have some of the cleanest high frequency behavior around in larger woofers.

You can get a good 1st order on-axis app. 2k slope with the 123A-1 by using a felt pad in front of the driver, on a driver grille. 4x6" 1/4" thick wool F11 felt works nicely, on the higher end Parts express woofer grilles.
 
Hey Zilch, some guy locally is selling a pair of JBL 123A1 woofers ($85), would that be a good deal to pick up for ewaving? Seems like they want a big cabinet to fully utilize. Didn't you use these on one version? Did they reach to 1.6kHz ok?
Indeed.

If you look at the parameters, they are suitably used in smaller closed-box alignments. Model them as such to see.

Gordon designed multiples of them into some bandpass subs several years ago, as well.... :yes:
 
OK, thanks Zilch and Badman. I'll jump on them.
You realize I'm now going on toward having the makings for 3 ewaves.... before I've even heard a set. Guess I'm easily swayed by good reports and rational seeming theory. (Hope I don't hate them!)
 
Zilch or anyone - Is the PH612 and the Dayton H6512 waveguides the same? and Can the H6512 be used for the Standard Econowave setup with the Selenium D220ti Driver?
 
Zilch or anyone - Is the PH612 and the Dayton H6512 waveguides the same? and Can the H6512 be used for the Standard Econowave setup with the Selenium D220ti Driver?
No one has yet verified, but it appears to be a "Yes."
 
The PH612 is cheaper, strange move from PE to brand it as for themselves and sell it at a slightly higher price, no?

Ps if you search PE for 1" horns, set price low to high they even show up next to each other. :D
 
Zilch or anyone - Is the PH612 and the Dayton H6512 waveguides the same? and Can the H6512 be used for the Standard Econowave setup with the Selenium D220ti Driver?

There's a set of each here (the PH from MCM and the H from Parts Express), they are virtual clones, look to be off the same mold. The MCM looks a (very) little shiny-er on the outside and has a bit larger set of chips out in the throat where it looks like it was broken from the mold, but probably just unit-unit variations. Both measured the same response, within a half dB or so, when connected to the Selenium 220Di.
 
Back
Top Bottom