• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Apologies to Jack et al. But I am getting somewhat confused. Reading about 200 posts we have volumes of 3. cu ft to 3.8cu ft but in post 599 or so we are given 1.6 cu ft.
As a start, we generally look to how JBL used a particular woofer in their product(s). In the case of 2214H(-1), two examples come immediately to mind, L100T(3), a tower similar to what you prefer, and 4425, a Studio Monitor with compression driver and horn. Those define a range of known suitable cabinet sizes, and with inquiry, their tunings may also be determined.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L100t3 ts.pdf

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Studio Monitor Series/4425LR.pdf

Jack used his in slightly larger cabinets, upsized Baronets, that he had on hand. To do that, I suspect he modeled them in software such as the free downloadable WinISD or equivalent to determine an appropriate vented alignment. 2214H is by design a vented box driver, and its T/S parameters are in most modeling databases. Though virtually any driver may also be used closed-box, unless the T/S parameters are suited to that alignment, they generally will not produce optimum bass performance.
 
Kegger:
Glad to hear you are sorting out the mids.
How did you come to those values?
Rule of thumb? Or some calculator? Or doing the math?
You sure your decimal point is in the right place? :D

Yah I'm still tweaking/thinking.

But here is the math for a Zobel,
R = 1.25 / x Re
C = Le / R squared

Dave took the readings for the HPM woofer and that's where I started for "test book" values.

Now I'm realizing the Zobel can and was being used as a Frequency shaper as well as impedance.

With a Zobel being used from the calculated values I've now lost bass, or more appropriate gained
frequencies above bass which ends up accomplishing the same thing, :) also the HPM woofer really
doesn't "need" a zobel filter (if it is what the published graph shows anyway) so I'm gonna do some
"altering" and try a larger resistor then what was there and go back to a larger cap but not quite as
large as what was there before to see if I can shape the impeadance a little more proper and get a
bit of the bass back as well. We'll see. :scratch2:
 
With a Zobel being used from the calculated values I've now lost bass, or more appropriate gained
frequencies above bass which ends up accomplishing the same thing, :) also the HPM woofer really
doesn't "need" a zobel filter (if it is what the published graph shows anyway) so I'm gonna do some
"altering" and try a larger resistor then what was there and go back to a larger cap but not quite as
large as what was there before to see if I can shape the impeadance a little more proper and get a
bit of the bass back as well. We'll see. :scratch2:

A slightly bigger coil on that woofer (first stage of the LP filter) might be your friend, too. Bigger coil == Lower Q of the lowpass filter == less upper midrange.

Possibly might need a slightly smaller cap (to ground) in that filter, if you wind up significantly changing the coil to larger values. That'll put the "knee" of the curve (rolloff point) back in the right frequency range, but with a lower resonant Q...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Thanks for the suggestions Gordon.

The problem is I'm not wanting to drop off the top end of the woofer further, I'm using a
1.5 mh coil and 8 uf cap, my feeling is if I use a larger coil I won't be able to use a smaller
cap to get my top end back. I think I am pretty close now and just want to attenuate that
upper end of the woofer and not roll it off any earlier. Is there any tricks I may not know of
for accomplishing that?

The zobel seems like a solution that could work here, and if the impedance graph for an
HPM woofer is correct and I use say 12-15ohm resistor and it will attenuate enough then
it looks like it just may work for both impeadance and frequency with a large enough cap?
 
Would this same crossover work for the TAD 2001? One of the SMAC guys that we ordered the Pyle guide for, just picked up the TAD. Cheers.
 
Apologies to Jack et al. But I am getting somewhat confused. Reading about 200 posts we have volumes of 3. cu ft to 3.8cu ft but in post 599 or so we are given 1.6 cu ft.

Also the Xover is now 1.2kHz?

Thanks for help. There are just too many posts and my inernet speed is 26.6k
so quite a pain to go looking for stuff.

Hi Sheldon,

Since this thread is about doing it yourself, I didn't just give you all the details about using 2214H's in my EconoWaves. For most guys, searching and discovering is half the fun. But since you are speed limited, let's just cut to the chase.

The cabinet size of 1.6 Cubic feet was in post 594, and concerned a pair of EV Baronet clones that were built a few years ago. They became my next EconoWave project with LE10H woofers. Ignore that value, since the 2214H's were not used in those cabinets.

The 2214H's were used in another pair of EV Baronet clones that were built after the original pairs, and they were built roughly 1.5 times original size. In post 504 I said if my memory was correct, they were about 3 cubic feet in volume. In post 507, the volume was calculated to be roughly 3.18 cubic feet, allowing some fudge factors for various things inside the cabinet. Use that number if you want to duplicate my results.

The cabinets were ported through the front, and were tuned at 38 Hz by two ports 3" in diameter and roughly 6 inches in length. See post 507.

The LE14A and 2214H both liked a low pass frequency of 900 Hz, rather than the 1200 Hz used for most other woofers. For correct crossover values, see post 228, and select the Variant 2. option, which is for the JBL LE14A. Use the values of 2 Mh and 15 Microfarads for the low pass. Use the high pass values as shown on the Crossover option. Also add the two 100 Ohm 20 Watt resistors across the 2214H, as JBL did in the 4425.

When you get your cabinets designed and built, please let us all see some pictures.
 
Zilch has done an Index for this thread.

Just a reminder that Zilch has done an EconoWave Summary on post number 228, which will be of great value to anyone wanting to just "get the facts, please."

If you want to find parts lists, crossover schematics, ETC, see post 228. It is priceless.

In fact, that post is bookmarked on my computer, so I don't forget.
 
It's linked at the top of post #1, too.

Just hit "First" to get there instantly from anywhere in the thread.... :thmbsp:
 
I got the Selenium 210's and the crossover parts will be here on Tuesday, and I ordered the waveguides a week before last Monday and they still haven't went through my credit card yet(They were out.):thumbsdn:

I want to use a pair of Marantz 7 MKII's for the woofer and cabinet, but I don't know the efficiency rating of the Marantz woofer. I know its a long shot, but does anyone have a clue? I could post some pics later if it would help. Since the bass overwelms the top end quite a bit, I'm wondering if they would be higher than 95db. I ordered the regular 8 ohm crossover parts so if the Marantz are no good I have a pair of LA's and NLA's I could try it on.

Any input? Thanks.
 
I got the Selenium 210's and the crossover parts will be here on Tuesday, and I ordered the waveguides a week before last Monday and they still haven't went through my credit card yet(They were out.):thumbsdn:

I want to use a pair of Marantz 7 MKII's for the woofer and cabinet, but I don't know the efficiency rating of the Marantz woofer. I know its a long shot, but does anyone have a clue? I could post some pics later if it would help. Since the bass overwelms the top end quite a bit, I'm wondering if they would be higher than 95db. I ordered the regular 8 ohm crossover parts so if the Marantz are no good I have a pair of LA's and NLA's I could try it on.

Any input? Thanks.

Which set of crossover parts did you buy? There are two available for the HF compensation, but the difference is two resistors and one capacitor are different values.

If you have ordered crossover parts already, just try them and see if the L-Pad falls within range of matching the tweeter to the woofer. If it doesn't, you need to try the other set of resistors and single compensation capacitor. Or ask for help.
 
Zobel
I ended up with 12.5 ohms and 32uf, bass is back and frequency response looks good at the xover area.

More listening now. :smoke:

Thanks for the suggestions Gordon.

The problem is I'm not wanting to drop off the top end of the woofer further, I'm using a
1.5 mh coil and 8 uf cap, my feeling is if I use a larger coil I won't be able to use a smaller
cap to get my top end back. I think I am pretty close now and just want to attenuate that
upper end of the woofer and not roll it off any earlier. Is there any tricks I may not know of
for accomplishing that?

The zobel seems like a solution that could work here, and if the impedance graph for an
HPM woofer is correct and I use say 12-15ohm resistor and it will attenuate enough then
it looks like it just may work for both impeadance and frequency with a large enough cap?
 
I used the 8 ohm crossover parts list. The under 95db one.

If the Marantz woofers are much greater than 95 db, even with the L-Pads at maximum, the woofers will still sound louder than the tweeters. I have a gut feeling that it will be OK. If not, and the tweets are not loud enough, you may need to order the resistors and compensation cap for the "greater than 95 db" one.

Good luck.
 
I got the Selenium 210's and the crossover parts will be here on Tuesday, and I ordered the waveguides a week before last Monday and they still haven't went through my credit card yet(They were out.):thumbsdn:
Give 'em a little call on Monday to "Expedite."

[There's apparently been an extraordinary demand for these lately.... :D ]
 
Dam I hate sibilance, I think these frickin kimber kaps I put in the high pass section are the
culprits as it wasn't there till I decided to "upgrade" the "quality" of caps in the xover since
I had them here. UGHH!!

Just sitting at my pc not even in the same room as the stereo all I could here is SSSS, SSSSS! AAHHHH!!!

-------------
Time to do more digging, may resort to the giant oil caps I've been stashing away, but man there biggins!!!
 
Thankyou Jack and Zilch.

I did find the L110t3 dimensions by scouting the net; by allowing for 3/4 inch thickness I came up with 3.8 cu feet but what totallty confused me was the 1.6 cu feet that Jack had given.

Also in the l100t3 the Xover is 800Hz but this was for L14A. I have not found cabinet insides drawing, in case there is a sealing off of any of the Cabinet, say for the mid driver, so that the woofer sees less than this. Obviosly the guide and drivers and X-overs eat up some of this. It seems that the L100t use 2214 but the L100t3 used L14A.

Zilch thanks for 4425PDF ptr it looks to be close to the Baronets in configuration.
Found volume to be 1.9 cu ft, much smaller that L110t (exactly 1/2). It also has 2 ports like Jacks speakers. the crossover is 1.2kHz.

So it appears the same woofer has 2 extremes in JBL usage.

Hi Sheldon,

Since this thread is about doing it yourself, I didn't just give you all the details about using 2214H's in my EconoWaves. For most guys, searching and discovering is half the fun. But since you are speed limited, let's just cut to the chase.

The cabinet size of 1.6 Cubic feet was in post 594, and concerned a pair of EV Baronet clones that were built a few years ago. They became my next EconoWave project with LE10H woofers. Ignore that value, since the 2214H's were not used in those cabinets.

The 2214H's were used in another pair of EV Baronet clones that were built after the original pairs, and they were built roughly 1.5 times original size. In post 504 I said if my memory was correct, they were about 3 cubic feet in volume. In post 507, the volume was calculated to be roughly 3.18 cubic feet, allowing some fudge factors for various things inside the cabinet. Use that number if you want to duplicate my results.

The cabinets were ported through the front, and were tuned at 38 Hz by two ports 3" in diameter and roughly 6 inches in length. See post 507.

The LE14A and 2214H both liked a low pass frequency of 900 Hz, rather than the 1200 Hz used for most other woofers. For correct crossover values, see post 228, and select the Variant 2. option, which is for the JBL LE14A. Also add the two 100 Ohm 20 Watt resistors across the 2214H, as JBL did in the 4425.

When you get your cabinets designed and built, please let us all see some pictures.
 
Dam I hate sibilance, I think these frickin kimber kaps I put in the high pass section are the
culprits as it wasn't there till I decided to "upgrade" the "quality" of caps in the xover since
I had them here. UGHH!!

Just sitting at my pc not even in the same room as the stereo all I could here is SSSS, SSSSS! AAHHHH!!!

-------------
Time to do more digging, may resort to the giant oil caps I've been stashing away, but man there biggins!!!

are you sure it didn't sound more like bow chicka wow wow....ssssss....sssssss....ahhhh!!?

If so, maybe it was coming from your PC.
 
No No Dave, that woulda been celebrating after a good job was done. :yes:

P.S. you goin to the meet tomorrow, got any 4.7uf caps to "experiment" with?
And or the foam for the horn to try out? Need any tubes? :)
 
Back
Top Bottom