• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

6P3S-E direct replacement for el34?

MNmarantz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Not sure if they are interchangeable? Limited research appears that they are direct replacements for el34. Maybe depends on the amp? Anyone have experience or knowledge that I lack? Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
Not sure if they are interchangeable? Limited research appears that they are direct replacements for el34. Maybe depends on the amp? Anyone have experience or knowledge that I lack? Thanks in advance!
Not really.
And why even bother if the amp is made for EL34 ?
 
6P3S-E is equivalent to a 6L6GC and 5881 tubes. It can also replace EL34s in some amps, for example the Deware SE341.6. Don't take that as it will work in ever EL34 amp.
 
Good sounding tubes, but it depends on the amp whether the 6P3S-E will work. What amplifier are you wanting to use them in? I'm going to try a pair in an up coming amp build meant to use 6L6's.
 
what they said. It can work but its not a great sub, and IMO they don't sound good in an EL34 amp. Others disagree on that point.

The only tube thats a direct sub for an EL34 is a 6CA7. In most cases a KT77 will also sub, but there is something about the grid resistor values depending on plate dissipation that you should look at. I forget the fine points but over a certain amount the grid resistor value needs to be lower than what is specified for an EL34 and depending on the amp that may be an issue.
 
The 6P3S-E is NOT equivalent to a 6L6GC. It won't manage 30W anode dissipation, nor have I ever seen reliable specifications for screen grid dissipation or voltage. Reputable sellers only rate it equivalent to the 5881, and it was relabeled and sold as this type for a number of years. The 6P3S-E is also not equivalent to the EL34. There are a number of significant differences, such as transconductance, voltage ratings and optimum load impedance. I know it's been subbed for the EL34 in certain amplifiers (including the Dynaco ST-70), but there are reports that this produces a different sonic signature and reduced performance.

Just to be clear, I'm a big fan of the 6P3S-E, and I bought a large lot directly from Russia quite a few years ago. It's a terrific tube that can sub for many 6L6 variants in many different amplifiers, but it's important to know its limitations. I use them in my Citation V, but the amplifier has been modified for reduced screen voltage. I'm also careful to bias the tubes below 25W dissipation.

Jack
 
The 6P3S-E is NOT equivalent to a 6L6GC. It won't manage 30W anode dissipation, nor have I ever seen reliable specifications for screen grid dissipation or voltage. Reputable sellers only rate it equivalent to the 5881, and it was relabeled and sold as this type for a number of years. The 6P3S-E is also not equivalent to the EL34. There are a number of significant differences, such as transconductance, voltage ratings and optimum load impedance. I know it's been subbed for the EL34 in certain amplifiers (including the Dynaco ST-70), but there are reports that this produces a different sonic signature and reduced performance.

Just to be clear, I'm a big fan of the 6P3S-E, and I bought a large lot directly from Russia quite a few years ago. It's a terrific tube that can sub for many 6L6 variants in many different amplifiers, but it's important to know its limitations. I use them in my Citation V, but the amplifier has been modified for reduced screen voltage. I'm also careful to bias the tubes below 25W dissipation.

Jack
Thanks for all the info. I will not use it for my el34. It’s too nice an amp to risk. I do have an integrated that takes 6L6GC/5881. $50/quad from a seller I trust. A good alternative to new manufacture tubes.
 
I think $50 should buy new tubes, but I haven't kept up with prices recently.
 
Yes, a quick auction site review just now indicates $100 to be more typical for a quad. Some of the Ukraine sellers offer tubes matched for both Ia and S. That's important for these, because characteristics can vary a fair amount. I use a repurposed amplifier with actual operating voltages for Ia, and I burn them in for an hour or so before taking a reading. (Not selling tubes here, this is for my own use only.)

Jack
 
There's only one Ukrainian seller I trust. I've bought enough power and octal signal tubes from him over the last few years and never a dud. The matche'd quads and pairs have always been very close too.
I made the mistake of ordering a few tubes from a other seller and got two duds that red plated right out of the box.
 
There's only one Ukrainian seller I trust. I've bought enough power and octal signal tubes from him over the last few years and never a dud. The matche'd quads and pairs have always been very close too.
I made the mistake of ordering a few tubes from a other seller and got two duds that red plated right out of the box.
Were they 6P3S-E? Some of those will have slight gas that can be burned off using a variac over a period of a few hours. Of course, some will also be a lost cause when this happens. Maybe I've been lucky, but the Russian sellers I used years ago were willing to exchange the tubes I sent back, and that was before shipping cost became so significant.

Jack
 
Were they 6P3S-E? Some of those will have slight gas that can be burned off using a variac over a period of a few hours. Of course, some will also be a lost cause when this happens. Maybe I've been lucky, but the Russian sellers I used years ago were willing to exchange the tubes I sent back, and that was before shipping cost became so significant.

Jack
Pulled the trigger. + a Hamilton for shipping. I was wrong they are NOS. If these are close to my GE 6l6gc I will be on the lookout for more!
 
Were they 6P3S-E? Some of those will have slight gas that can be burned off using a variac over a period of a few hours. Of course, some will also be a lost cause when this happens. Maybe I've been lucky, but the Russian sellers I used years ago were willing to exchange the tubes I sent back, and that was before shipping cost became so significant.

Jack
No, these were some 6P14P-P's. I haven't had a problem with the 6P3S-E's, or the Russian versions of the 6SL7's or 6SN7's, and 6V6's.
 
Back
Top Bottom