• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

6P3S-E direct replacement for el34?

The 6P3S-E is NOT equivalent to a 6L6GC. It won't manage 30W anode dissipation, nor have I ever seen reliable specifications for screen grid dissipation or voltage. Reputable sellers only rate it equivalent to the 5881, and it was relabeled and sold as this type for a number of years. The 6P3S-E is also not equivalent to the EL34. There are a number of significant differences, such as transconductance, voltage ratings and optimum load impedance. I know it's been subbed for the EL34 in certain amplifiers (including the Dynaco ST-70), but there are reports that this produces a different sonic signature and reduced performance.

Just to be clear, I'm a big fan of the 6P3S-E, and I bought a large lot directly from Russia quite a few years ago. It's a terrific tube that can sub for many 6L6 variants in many different amplifiers, but it's important to know its limitations. I use them in my Citation V, but the amplifier has been modified for reduced screen voltage. I'm also careful to bias the tubes below 25W dissipation.

Jack
Truth!

I run them like 5881/6L6WGC. A conservative 18-20 watts per tube, Class AB1, in a push-pull arrangement. Then, they last and have good headroom.
 
Appears to be cathode biased, so there's a good chance the 6P3S-E's will be running way too hot in your amp.

I don't see anything on their website about running other output tubes.

jeff
I had messaged them about this and am waiting to hear back. Maybe they will work in my primaluna??? That amp is a true auto bias. Or I’ll have to flip them on Bartertown. For all the ease of cathode/autobias I can see why the real tube guys don’t like them.
 
I had messaged them about this and am waiting to hear back. Maybe they will work in my primaluna??? That amp is a true auto bias. Or I’ll have to flip them on Bartertown. For all the ease of cathode/autobias I can see why the real tube guys don’t like them.
Just an aside. Have you tried KT77 or 6CA7 tubes?

Thanks!
 
Raven blackhawk
A quick search indicates this amp uses 6L6GC. Also, based on its output power of 20W/ch, I would assume voltages are not crazy high. It might be good to confirm this before plugging in the new tubes.

About bias, triode curves provide a quick comparison. According to charts, the 6L6GC with 400V on screen and anode draws 43mA with -40V grid bias. The 6P3S-E under those same conditions draws about 48-49mA. This difference in current draw will be moderated if cathode bias is used, and depending on other conditions, it's possible no changes will be needed to sub the 6P3S-E. I'll add that even with fixed bias, I haven't experienced the degree of difference shown when comparing the charts. I've subbed the 6P3S-E recently for NOS Sylvania 5881 and several used 6L6GC, and bias changed very little. The 6P3S-E also measures like any other 6L6 variant on my Hickok.

I won't bother uploading the 6L6GC triode graph, because it's readily available elsewhere online. Here's the 6P3S-E in triode, which might be more difficult to find:

6P3S-E Triode.jpg

Jack
 
A quick search indicates this amp uses 6L6GC. Also, based on its output power of 20W/ch, I would assume voltages are not crazy high. It might be good to confirm this before plugging in the new tubes.

About bias, triode curves provide a quick comparison. According to charts, the 6L6GC with 400V on screen and anode draws 43mA with -40V grid bias. The 6P3S-E under those same conditions draws about 48-49mA. This difference in current draw will be moderated if cathode bias is used, and depending on other conditions, it's possible no changes will be needed to sub the 6P3S-E. I'll add that even with fixed bias, I haven't experienced the degree of difference shown when comparing the charts. I've subbed the 6P3S-E recently for NOS Sylvania 5881 and several used 6L6GC, and bias changed very little. The 6P3S-E also measures like any other 6L6 variant on my Hickok.

I won't bother uploading the 6L6GC triode graph, because it's readily available elsewhere online. Here's the 6P3S-E in triode, which might be more difficult to find:

View attachment 3172298

Jack
So you’re saying there’s a chance! Thats some great info triodeLuvr. And you are quick on the draw! I’ll wait until I hear from the folks at Raven before trying them.
 
I ran them for a few months in my Dyna ST-70, keeping the bias under 45ma and they sounded good. After buying a nice quad of RFT I’m not going back. Fun to experiment but that‘s all it was for me.
RFT EL34. Right?

Very good tubes.
 
Back
Top Bottom