• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Amplifier Circuit Simulation Services

Appears to be on the Tone Board
So if you want to continue testing the amplifier, you can either go straight into the MAIN IN or continue using AUX and adjust the balance slightly until the preamp output levels are equal.
 
That looks better. The right channel THD is a little worse than the left channel but it's still pretty good. I'd back off a little to the rated output power (100W) to see what that looks like. The worst case THD should be at 20kHz where I believe the spec is 0.1%.
 
That looks better. The right channel THD is a little worse than the left channel but it's still pretty good. I'd back off a little to the rated output power (100W) to see what that looks like. The worst case THD should be at 20kHz where I believe the spec is 0.1%.
Thoughts on the 60hz?
Preamp looks good on it's own, Main Amp looks good on it's own (THD only, everything else looks not so good). Why together THD doesn't look good?
 
Last edited:
Thoughts on the 60hz?
Try removing all input cables as well as the dummy loads and look at the speaker output with the analyzer. It could be a ground loop or interference. Is there any electrical equipment or florescent lights nearby? It could possibly be from the power transformer. Is the 60 Hz audible at normal listening levels? Keep in mind that you will probably see some 60 Hz no matter how hard you try to get rid of it. I believe that some of the display shots in the tutorial document also showed some 60 Hz. It's also possible that the analyzer test leads are picking up the 60 Hz.

Preamp looks good on it's own, Main Amp looks good on it's own (THD only, everything else looks not so good). Why together doesn't look good?
I can't quite explain that one. The preamp harmonics are low enough that they shouldn't have a large affect on the total THD when the pre amd main are connected together.
 
Last edited:
Keep in mind that you will probably see some 60 Hz no matter how hard you try to get rid of it.
Thoughts on that denoiser PS that I posted?

look at the speaker output with the analyzer
I think that will overload the input of the QA

It could be a ground loop or interference. Is there any electrical equipment or florescent lights nearby?
No fluorescent lights nearby
The main 240V 200A service disconnect is close by. Loopback test doesn't pick it up.
It's also possible that the analyzer test leads are picking up the 60 Hz.
Test leads are RG174 with RCA's and adapters for direct connection.
 
Thoughts on that denoiser PS that I posted?


I think that will overload the input of the QA


No fluorescent lights nearby
The main 240V 200A service disconnect is close by. Loopback test doesn't pick it up.

Test leads are RG174 with RCA's and adapters for direct connection.
Sorry, I didn't have any other suggestions. Perhaps others will have some ideas.
 
First things first. Let's finish with the power amp and then we'll see but I only have a very limited amount of time that I can devote to this.
I was thinking since the D-Noizator LTspice file was given that it may be a more simple request.
 
For Class A/B operation at rated power, the original design gives a THD of 0.022696%. Adding a current mirror to the input differential amp reduces the THD slightly to 0.011277%. A initial reconfiguration of the voltage amplifier to a Darlington configuration dropped the THD to 0.003198%. That's almost an order of magnitude.

I have transplanted the bias circuit from the CA-1010 into the CA-1000 design but more work is required. I'm not seeing any additional improvement at this point but I may have to simulate the CA-1010 in order to fine tune the modified circuit in the CA-1000.
Any additional progress on these items?
 
Any additional progress on these items?
Actually, I was hoping that I would be able to wrap this up yesterday but after literally hundreds of THD runs, I found that the change of drivers was causing problems. So now it's back to the drawing board. :confused:
 
Back
Top Bottom