• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any cat lovers here?

For some reason, we had four flies in the house last evening.

Rome, Charlotte and Uh, were "on it" jumping and flipping around.

Uh scored first and had a snack.

Then, Skippy surprised everyone and made a one-hand grab (the only kind he can make), trapped the target under the French door, and had his snack.

Not sure who got the third, but there was only one this morning.
 
Rown is such the picky eater, tried most foods available, and it’s gotta be pate, chicken or beef. She was eating some way good food, but has gone back to her mainstay of fancy feast.
I don’t care for ff’s ingredients, but its either eat or not.

At the shelter she was at, they didn’t believe in any type of dry food at all.
I started her on one of the better dry foods, chicken is the only one she will touch.

She certainly has gained too much weight, my fault.

I started this post to talk about her liking just the tiniest piece of cheese,
Wanna piece of cheese? She knows the phrase. LoL

She sure has been a good girl lately, but she has been hanging out upstairs- she certainly values her solitude.

Rowan you are my girl.


View attachment 3751861
There are several recipes for homemade cat food so maybe she'd like some home cooking? Our two, Noodles and the late Princess, were pate only but they eagerly ate my home cooked cat grub.
 
Got a different type of question regarding cats, and wonder if I'm doing a disservice to a couple of canines that I'm cat-sitting for a week.

And that is, I've brought over a portable radio to the cats' house, and left it on, thinking it might help them deal with the quietness/loneliness of their now different environment. I thought it might be better if there was "sound" available for the two critters...and it's at low amplitude 24 hrs/day.

I do this already with our resident dog, whenever we go out,, but he's not left alone for maybe 4 hours top, when we do vacate the house.

So, was wondering what others might think of this, "leaving the radio on", when animals are left to themselves and the humans are out and about.


Just curious, eh? :bigok:


Q
 
In other news-

Over the weekend, I was sleeping on the couch, and Abra was on top of the middle back cushion.

Something woke me up around 2:00am, and something also spooked her immediately after.
Not sure what it was but Abs had all her claws out and started to frantically claw her way across me to get down.
Thinking quickly, I put one hand under her chest, and lifted her slightly, so there was a better path over the back of the couch, which she then took.
I escaped with only one scratch, right in the top crook of my right wrist.

A day or two later, Abs became very shy, cowering from other cats when they approached.

I'm not sure if the early morning spooking has anything to do with it or not.

We put her in the master bedroom, where we sometimes segregate/separate pairs of cats that sometimes don't get along too well during the day.

She has not come out since Monday.
She seemed OK, and would purr if you petted her, just didn't want to come out of that room.
Early this morning, my wife noticed one of her pupils won't dilate with the other.
Might be a concussion?
Then an hour later, she said there's a lump on her neck.
It's a wide lump, all the way across the bottom.

Yikes.

She does eat.

Earliest Vet appt I could get was Monday at 3:30.
...but after I scheduled that on-line, they called and want to work her in this afternoon.

Fingers crossed.
 
In other news-

Over the weekend, I was sleeping on the couch, and Abra was on top of the middle back cushion.

Something woke me up around 2:00am, and something also spooked her immediately after.
Not sure what it was but Abs had all her claws out and started to frantically claw her way across me to get down.
Thinking quickly, I put one hand under her chest, and lifted her slightly, so there was a better path over the back of the couch, which she then took.
I escaped with only one scratch, right in the top crook of my right wrist.

A day or two later, Abs became very shy, cowering from other cats when they approached.

I'm not sure if the early morning spooking has anything to do with it or not.

We put her in the master bedroom, where we sometimes segregate/separate pairs of cats that sometimes don't get along too well during the day.

She has not come out since Monday.
She seemed OK, and would purr if you petted her, just didn't want to come out of that room.
Early this morning, my wife noticed one of her pupils won't dilate with the other.
Might be a concussion?
Then an hour later, she said there's a lump on her neck.
It's a wide lump, all the way across the bottom.

Yikes.

She does eat.

Earliest Vet appt I could get was Monday at 3:30.
...but after I scheduled that on-line, they called and want to work her in this afternoon.

Fingers crossed.

Fingers and paws all crossed here!
 
IMG_6074.png
 
Got a different type of question regarding cats, and wonder if I'm doing a disservice to a couple of canines that I'm cat-sitting for a week.

And that is, I've brought over a portable radio to the cats' house, and left it on, thinking it might help them deal with the quietness/loneliness of their now different environment. I thought it might be better if there was "sound" available for the two critters...and it's at low amplitude 24 hrs/day.

I do this already with our resident dog, whenever we go out,, but he's not left alone for maybe 4 hours top, when we do vacate the house.

So, was wondering what others might think of this, "leaving the radio on", when animals are left to themselves and the humans are out and about.


Just curious, eh? :bigok:


Q

Hello my Friend,

I truly have no idea if cats require the background noise or not, but I do know my (now passed away) parakeet really liked it. With birds, when things are dead silent during the day it means only one thing, DANGER! In nature, there are always sounds till some predator or other shows up, and then it gets silent, dead silent.

So, I'd leave the kitchen TV on, on the cooking channel, and Birdie became very fond of both "Diners, Drive ins, and Dives" as well as "Guy's Grocery Games" ;)
 
So, I did find this in a search;

Do Cats Like a Quiet House? Understanding Feline Noise Sensitivity

And according to this cats do like a generally quite house, so perhaps it'd be for the best to lose the "white noise" (radio) :dunno: ;


Introduction​

Have you ever noticed your cat disappearing the moment the vacuum starts? Or hiding during thunderstorms? These behaviors may leave you wondering, Do cats like a quiet house? While cats are adaptable, the majority prefer environments with minimal disruptive noise.

In this article, we explore how sound affects feline behavior and well-being. We’ll uncover little-discussed aspects of feline sensory experience, backed by historical, cultural, and scientific insights, and provide practical advice to help you create a peaceful space for your cat.


Understanding the Feline Sensory World​

Cats have incredibly sharp hearing—far superior to humans. They can detect ultrasonic sounds up to 65 kHz, compared to the human range of just 20 kHz. This acute auditory sense evolved from their need to hunt small prey, like rodents, whose movements emit subtle noises.

Because of this, loud or unpredictable noises can easily overwhelm a cat’s nervous system.

"The feline auditory system is tuned for precision and sensitivity, making them highly susceptible to acoustic stress." — Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery (Source)


Do Cats Naturally Prefer Quiet Environments?​

Yes. In the wild, cats thrive in environments where they can hear prey, detect predators, and move undisturbed. A quiet environment helps them feel safe and alert.

Even in domesticated settings, these instincts remain. Cats often seek secluded places to rest, away from bustling areas of the home. Their preference for quiet isn’t a result of being antisocial—it’s evolutionary.

Historical and Cultural Insights​

Historically, cats were revered in cultures where tranquility was a virtue. In Ancient Egypt, temple cats were known to live in serene, calm quarters. In Japan, the Maneki-neko (beckoning cat) symbolized peaceful prosperity and was placed in quiet households and tea shops.

Even during ship voyages in the 1800s, sailors would keep cats for pest control and morale, often noting in journals that a calm ship cat signaled smooth sailing. Their preference for quiet stability has long been acknowledged but rarely discussed in detail.

Scientific and Behavioral Studies​

A 2020 study published in Animals journal found that noise pollution can negatively impact cats’ cortisol levels, sleep cycles, and eating behavior. (Source)

Another study from the University of Lincoln found that environmental enrichment—particularly quiet resting areas—led to reduced aggression and improved health markers in shelter cats.

These findings confirm that noise-sensitive environments can influence both behavior and physiology.
 
I have many cats, they generally prefer quiet but many of them relax when listening to jazz (especially Ella Fitzgerald) or classical music. However, I have a few cats that seem indifferent to noises, a few even attack the vacuum cleaner brush and do not run away at all at the noise of the vacuum cleaner or if I drill.
 
Back
Top Bottom