• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any cat lovers here?

So, Abra....

At the Vet, we tried to avoid using the T word (tumor) and the C word (cancer).

They had a portable ultrasound machine and the vet immediately shouted out- "It's pus, YAY!".

I've never been so happy to hear the word pus.

So they drained an area about the size of 2-3 standard tea bags!

When we got her home, she looked like that demon koala meme-

20260430_184109.jpg

...but she is already 50% better.

Pupils are more even, attitude is back.

$312

Gonna be fun trying to keep that lily white neck from being pink.
Took 3 months for the yellowing from being outside to come out of her paws when she was a kitten.
 
...These findings confirm that noise-sensitive environments can influence both behavior and physiology.

Thanks for the feedback on the research.

Not to be contrary to the findings of this "share", most of the events/samplings were noises of high volumes or intense in make-up. I remember once, I accidently touched the end of a vacuum wand to a feline, and the cat immediately let loose a small poop, which was (TG)... easy to scoop up!

And, the amplitude was really low, and on a classic music channel...as if the cats under my supervision might accept the subtle listening environment.:rolleyes:

Plus, most of the time, the owners' house usually has music of some sort ongoing. In the garage, the neighbour NEVER turns the radio off!


Or, maybe some cats just like extraneous sound, like we humans wherein some like their music loud, while others on the soft side.


But, I will turn off the radio...just in case, eh?


Thanks for the input to date, m'8's. :thumbsup:


Q
 
Last edited:
Rain is now part of the collective. Borg kitty.

IMG_20260430_062425_195.jpg

She's turning into quite the engineer. This is her work. I guess she needed a tube ramp to her bed.

Also, notice the track ball toy (the magenta color thing) does not have a ball in it. I've had that thing for at least 11 years. I got it for my previous cat, Alpha. In the 8 years that Alpha played with that track ball she might have pulled the ball out 2 or 3 times. Rain pulls it out pretty much every day now. Sometimes it is easy to find, sometimes not. I looked around and am not sure where it is.

IMG_20260430_145727_795.jpg

She also made an alteration to the pulley/line toy she and Choco love so much. There was a stretchy string that came with another toy on the floor. She managed to attach it to the line for the pulley toy. It's now wrapped around the line in a way it will take a bit of effort to remove it. They seem to like it this way so I'll leave it as is for the time being.

IMG_20260430_145347_956.jpg

Previously Rain never would interact with me when she plays. I usually have a sheet or two on the couch. I found when one is drooped over the front of the couch, she and Choco will play using the sheet as a screen where they attack one another through the sheet where one is under the couch and the other is in front. I started poking the sheet when one of them is under the couch and they will of course, swat at the motion. So now I have some interaction with Rain that way.

She's also willing to allow me to pet her when I initiate it. Not always, but any is more than what was happening.
 
If I may, a certain warning when it comes to "playing with a string", or say at Christmas time, when there's a plethora of strings around.


At one time in the past, my wife had come into the room, only to see the last of a piece of string going into the mouth of our Persian at the time. So, I right after, took the cat to the local vet and inquired, what was to be done. And the vet looked at me, and said, that I should wait a day or so, to see if there was any change in the feline's behaviour...like some choking going on. So he did... two days down the road!

And with the second visit, the old vet then shared, "Son, you go two choices. Either you put him down, or I go in and take the string out".
At the time, the cost factor was $400, in today's money around $1.2k. And knowing the SO and I loved this being, I went with the op.

The procedure went well. When I picked up said cat, the doc asked me if I wanted to see the length of the string...and being a curious person, I agreed, and was staggered when he produced a string that must have been at least 2&1/2' in length!

So a warning to the wise; if there is a string attached toy around, or any possibility of strings on the floor...pick them up, and put the stringed-toy in a safe place, where the cat can't get at it when you are NOT around, eh?

FWIW

Q
 
Last edited:
Beyond the strings on cat toys, and most of us are very aware of these tendencies of cats, other strings in the household can be of interest to them.

I recall 35 years ago seeing a cat I had at the time chewing on dental floss that he had pulled out of the wastebasket in the bathroom.
 
So, Abra....

At the Vet, we tried to avoid using the T word (tumor) and the C word (cancer).

They had a portable ultrasound machine and the vet immediately shouted out- "It's pus, YAY!".

I've never been so happy to hear the word pus.

So they drained an area about the size of 2-3 standard tea bags!

When we got her home, she looked like that demon koala meme-

View attachment 3753154

...but she is already 50% better.

Pupils are more even, attitude is back.

$312

Gonna be fun trying to keep that lily white neck from being pink.
Took 3 months for the yellowing from being outside to come out of her paws when she was a kitten.
I'm glad to hear Abra is doing ok!

She definitely looks like she's been through an ordeal.
 
Good news about Abra!

@Quadman2 … Thanks for the story— yes strings and things can be way unsafe for cats.
My Lucky Boy used to be one of those kind, remember pulling some thread or something from what he was eating and it was like winding up a fishing reel.

My Rowan pulled some leader tape hanging from a R2R i had sitting on the floor, bit it off and caught her chewing on it.
She always gets a pass, because of her nasty history, only time I’ve ever yelled at her is when I left the firebox door open on the heater, and she was headed in to explore.

…I hear her throwing up, go to check on her, and she had found a rubber band that made it’s way onto the kitchen floor, looked like she had bitten it in half, and ingested some…

Some peoples cats, I tell ya!

Nice to see you in the cat forum!

Oh as far as the music question you had posted, I think cats are a lot like people in that respect; some like it some don’t.
My Lucky, and Gypsy used to sit with me and enjoyed music, even pretty loud music. Lucky loved sax and horns.

Rowan on the other hand is very afraid, and jets upstairs, even at low volume, she will stare at my Klipschorns when she hears me power up the system. Must be that range of hearing cats have, as she checks out the tweeters, before departing the area.

The house directly behind me is being demoed and she is always aware, has tolerated it well until they started dropping big pieces of concrete foundation into the dump truck…

My best
Celadon
=-=
 
My Lucky Boy used to be one of those kind, remember pulling some thread or something from what he was eating and it was like winding up a fishing reel.


Oh as far as the music question you had posted, I think cats are a lot like people in that respect; some like it some don’t.

I hear you on attempting on the "taking out of the string/thread". The same vet explained that the very nature of the cat tongue itself is designed in such a way that once the item is on the tongue, it's not possible for the item to be removed by the cat itself.

And per your "second statement", if brought up as kittens in a listening environment, they prob adjust to the music, with still others who are more sensitive to higher amplitudes.


Thanks for your cat "string/volume" story!:thumbsup:


Q
 
Last edited:
Buff, that I wrote about earlier, once ate a section of Valentine's lace.

We didn't notice until it started to come out the other end.

If you've followed along with the Buff (also Nougat) stories, you may remember that he was a punk- 25 pounds of whop ass in a 11 pound cat.

...and seeing him with that red, frilly lace ribbon hanging out for the better part of the day was just prceless.

We did contact our local Vet, and she said "don't pull it. If it's made it that far, it will likely come out on it's own".

...all six inches of it.
 
Back
Top Bottom