• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

anyone heard the MC402 and MC501's

Register to hide this ad
I don't think jimmyc's above post meant to imply that the 402 is a shoddy amplifier. The 402 is a fantastic amplifier... one of the very best.

Pete
 
ta Jem/immy. yea read the thread. interesting. I take it u guys luv your 501's.
I have the MC501's at my place now. sounding better every day. I have had to move me speakers around a bit and I think I am getting very close.
Still thinking of listening to a 2nd MC2102 in a parrallel set up before I pull the BIG trigger as I do luv tube sound. I don't plan on changing amps for a long time after this.
 
I have both 501's in the front and 402 for the rears. Both sound good 501 sounds better. As my wife always says bigger is better!!!!!!!!!!

John
 
JohnThomas said:
I have both 501's in the front and 402 for the rears. Both sound good 501 sounds better. As my wife always says bigger is better!!!!!!!!!!

John


I agree!:thmbsp:

Size do matters. Bigger, smoother and more enjoyable!!:D :D :D

Lest you think otherwise, make it clear that I am talking about McIntosh amplifiers, not, .......... :nono:

Cheers!:banana:
 
I think everyone knows how I feel about the 501s by now.:thmbsp: I am also a big fan of tubes, especially amps. I even bought the 275mkIV. I usually listen to them in rotation of 1 week each just for fun. Lets see, the 501s are completely grain free, have a warm, refined midrange, have silky smooth highs that are non-aggressive and never fatiguing and bass that sounds just "right" to my ears, full of texture and definition. If that sounds like I am describing tubes, well, that's what they sound like, my 275mkIV has nothing on 501s in terms of tube advantage. At the same time the 501s also have at least 500w on tap for driving any speaker well and have better control. It's not like any other SS amp I've heard before other than McIntosh's own 402 which is similar. The 501s do have a slight advantage over the 402 though, to my ears mostly in terms of soundstage and focus. Not sure what tube amps can really offer you more of over the 501s either, maybe a touch more harmonic bloom but the 501s are not that far behind with that either.
 
PHC1 said:
I think everyone knows how I feel about the 501s by now.:thmbsp: I am also a big fan of tubes, especially amps. I even bought the 275mkIV. I usually listen to them in rotation of 1 week each just for fun. Lets see, the 501s are completely grain free, have a warm, refined midrange, have silky smooth highs that are non-aggressive and never fatiguing and bass that sounds just "right" to my ears, full of texture and definition. If that sounds like I am describing tubes, well, that's what they sound like, my 275mkIV has nothing on 501s in terms of tube advantage. At the same time the 501s also have at least 500w on tap for driving any speaker well and have better control. It's not like any other SS amp I've heard before other than McIntosh's own 402 which is similar. The 501s do have a slight advantage over the 402 though, to my ears mostly in terms of soundstage and focus. Not sure what tube amps can really offer you more of over the 501s either, maybe a touch more harmonic bloom but the 501s are not that far behind with that either.

Well articulated PMC1! Fully Agree - 100%!! Not joking BUT the truth!!

I know cuz I had the MC275 SS (2 pieces) and owned the MC402 (with C2200 as pre) for a while before upgrading to MC501 (now driven direct by the MDA1k), for the simple reason of MORE power, control and smoothness which the 275's and 402's could not provide to my WP7's. The MC275's I kept for nostalgic reasons, now to be use to power my newly gotten Klipsch Heresy III's (coming in 2 months time) in my bedroom for late night listening.

Dont get me wrong, the MC275 and MC402 are great amps BUT the MC501 are much better!

Of course, one can choose to go on to own higher and more powerful McIntosh amps like the MC1201, 2k amps, but somehow, that would be an overkill unless you own speakers that needed that extra push. The MC501 would be perfect for most environments and speakers!

My opinion is - if funds permit, no brainer, go straight for the MC501's and you are set for the most enjoyable musical experience! Oh, not to forget, the MCD/MDA1k are a MUST GET partners! At least, thats how I end up a happy man.

Just sharing my happiness! Cheers!:thmbsp:
 
:yes:
Jerry Seh said:
I am slow here gentlemen, care to share the joke??:D
:scratch2:
Jerry

The joke was not on you. My perception of the joke was when John Thomas said "As my wife always says bigger is better!!!!!!!!!!" and signed his name John.
Mike said hence the name . There was a porn star names John Homes who was famous for being big.
I believe that is joke Mike Intended. No offense intended

Jimmyc
 
jimmyc1996 said:
:yes:
:scratch2:
Jerry

The joke was not on you. My perception of the joke was when John Thomas said "As my wife always says bigger is better!!!!!!!!!!" and signed his name John.
Mike said hence the name . There was a porn star names John Homes who was famous for being big.
I believe that is joke Mike Intended. No offense intended

Jimmyc

Hi Jimmy, Thanks. Now I understand.:thmbsp:

Porn is illegal over here and exposure to this is limited. Hence the ignorance.:nono:

Dont worry, I am humourous by nature. No love lost.:D :D :D

Cheers!:banana:
 
Since we are suddenly on the topic of pornography, you can definately say that 501s are rated XXX. HOT!:thmbsp:
 
Yes, nothing like you big John "Thomas".
thnks guys, this round gives me some more direct comparisons between the 402 and 501's. 402's are now out of the equation
Only thing I might try next is 2 x MC2102's, however the bass control, focus and power of the MC501's over 1 x MC2102 is quite significant in my full range Vienna mahler speakers. The 1 x MC2102 is a little more relaxed in the treble region.
 
Back
Top Bottom