• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Best remake/cover song

Any version of Summertime Blues is great. I think the first one was Eddie Cochran. Then there was coolest version by heavy rock pioneers Blue Cheer. After that came the Who with some damn good live versions. Now we have the latest from Rush which is a great mixture of the guitar styles of Blue Cheer and The Who added to Rush's heavy (I knew the still could do it) sound. I cant wait to hear the rest of the Rush album. Its all covers of heavy psycedellic bands that influenced the Rush in their early days. Of course its not getting any airplay. The radio really sucks nowadays!
 
a few more goodies

Johnny Cash's cover of Kristoffersen's "Sunday Morning Coming Down"


Two obscure, lesser radio hits from the early 1970's:

A cover of Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush" by an a cappella group called Prelude (this is absolutely fantastic, IMO, with a lead female vocalist).

A cover of "In the Midnight Hour" (Steve Cropper and Wilson Pickett) by Cross Country. They did the Dead's trick of slowing this one way, way down, and it's great.

(PS. How could I forget the Talking Heads' "Take Me to the River"!?! My favorite version of that great song.)
 
After The Gold Rush-Prelude...have to agree totally. Heard it first on AM too.

Why Me, Lord? (IIRC) is my favorite Kristofferson song. Johnny Cash was ten feet taller than any "Outlaw" and I say that to you knowing that I love everything Waylon Jennings ever played.
 
apostrophe city!

Speaking of Johnny Cash, I liked his version of "Hurt."
I also liked Ten Years After's version of Robert Johnson's "Crossroads" better than Clapton's.
 
gearhead said:
...I also liked Ten Years After's version of Robert Johnson's "Crossroads" better than Clapton's.

I'd like to hear that, and I'll bet I'd agree. I think I get weary of hearing Robert Johnson remakes when I should hear Robert Johnson. Johnson & Johnson Band-Aid ripoffs in the dollar store that don't stick at all... :thumbsdn: :lmao:
 
Los Straitjackets' version of " My Heart Will Go On" kicks ass, believe it or don't. :thmbsp:
Pretty cool for a song made famous by Celine Dion.
 
I see that no one has mentioned this...

...so I must. My all-time favorite cover better than the original is Emmy Lou Harris' version of the Beatles' tune "Here, There, and Everywhere". Hers is just way better, enough to make me believe love is possible as long as the song is playing, and that's hard to do.

Laz
 
..."Fool on the Hill" covered by Sergio Mendez & Brasil '66...Was that song REALLY about LBJ ?!? -Sandy G.
 
huskerdu60622 said:
Jane's Addiction "Sympathy for the Devil/Rock and Roll"
Devo "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
Working In A Coal Mine is not only a great version of a great song, it would also be driving music for the other thread if it weren't so SHORT :lmao:
 
I love the Grateful Dead's cover of "Me & Boby McGee"

The Jam covered a few Motown songs in one of their live recordings....excellent.

More later....there are so many its hard to think of them all at once.
 
I also liked Devo's cover of "I Can't Get No Satisfaction". But then, hell, I just liked Devo, period.....-Sandy G.
 
Tom Waits' "I Want You" covered by Holly Cole.

The Beatles' "Ticket To Ride" covered by the Carpenters.

Leonard Cohen's songs sang by Jennifer Warnes.
 
Last edited:
I can't believe there hasn't been a mention of 'Ciccone Youth' yet.

Mike Watt (post Minutemen), K. Gordon and T. Moore from Sonic Youth, a full album of Madonna covers. Classic stuff...

Either I'm way too old, or way too young.
 
Another Doobies "Jesus is Alright" done by DC Talk. Dc Talk gives it a whole different sound while still reminding you of the Doobies.
 
Last edited:
Definitely Howling Wolf's Killing Floor, covered by Jimi Hendrix at the Monterey Pop Festival. (Or as a distant second and third, Sabbra Cadabra by Metallica (Garage CD) and Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit by Janis Joplin at Woodstock '69).
 
Back
Top Bottom