• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Birds - Post 'em up

Hard to get a decent pic of these speedsters without specifically setting up for it:

fr_5562.jpgfr_5566.jpg

And quickly as he lights and sips just before taking off like an Exocet missile:

fr_5563.jpg


We keep two feeders full all summer as well as planting tubular style flowers they also like to drink from. We have about 10-15 hummingbirds that make our feeders a regular fueling station and now we scarcely see a mosquito or fruit-fly around. Great insect hunters. They pluck 'em right out of the air.
 
Last edited:
From my longest walk in several weeks. Female Anna's hummingbird, Cooper's hawk, the Seahawk that showed up early for a Husky game (Osprey at Husky Stadium), and a Great Blue heron that's pretty good at frog giggin'. That's a big Bullfrog for this area. I was fortunate to get pretty close for these pics, and only the hummingbird is cropped.
 

Attachments

  • 20250906-_DSC8847.jpg
    20250906-_DSC8847.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20250906-_DSC8886.jpg
    20250906-_DSC8886.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 8
  • _DSC8814.jpg
    _DSC8814.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20250906-_DSC8800.jpg
    20250906-_DSC8800.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 10
I was out wandering around a Tenney Park on Lake Mendota yesterday here in Madison. Being the halfwit I am, I took a 70-300 zoom, whereas I really should have brought my 24-70, or rather both, but you know how that goes. Conditions were nice, but not necessarily optimal for photography. Probably should have shifted my time there more toward sunset.

Noticed a few ducks on the water in the lagoon. I was lazily taking a few shots and paying more attention to the male (color!) when the female decided that it was time to go somewhere else. I was not prepared for this and it really caught me off guard. These crazy ducks can float AND fly.

So these shots are incidental as much as anything else, but they turned out ok. The ducks were about 120 meters (135 yards) away. The male followed, but it happened so fast I didn't realize what was going on until they were gone. The only reason I got these was because I was shooting a 3 shot exposure bracket.

The next time I take pictures of birds I'm going to crank up the shutter speed a bit.

i-vsBBb8v-X4.jpg


i-xGSpNZ2-X4.jpg


i-pDGLzxT-X4.jpg
 
We live on a street corner in town. Across the street to the right is the community garden, then the city's storm drain ponds, and finally the Stanislaus River. Needless to say, we see a multitude of critters, including turtles, ducks, geese, etc. This morning, wifey looked out the front window and spotted this on our front lawn.

IMG_1304.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom