• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bryston 2B Amplifier Versions

Blackpool

New Member
Are there different versions or variations of the Bryston 2B Amps? I just got one that doesnt look like any I could find on ebay. Does Bryston make custom equipment?

Anybody have any info on this model? Thanks






 
Register to hide this ad
Aren't they similar to the 4B, as the 4B progressed through the various versions?

The earliest would be the 4B, the current version is the 4B SST2. In between, I'm seeing 4B NRB, 4B ST, and 4B SST on eBay this morning.
 
Aren't they similar to the 4B, as the 4B progressed through the various versions?

The earliest would be the 4B, the current version is the 4B SST2. In between, I'm seeing 4B NRB, 4B ST, and 4B SST on eBay this morning.

The 2B has also gone through various iterations similar to the 4B--in addition, Bryston also makes pro versions of their amplifiers that have different faceplates and connectors on the back to accommodate PA/studio use.
 
There was the original full height 2B, then the Low Profile version 2B-LP most people are familiar with and then the 2B-ST, 2B-SST, etc.

What you have there seems to be the original 2B and since it has screws to adjust the output levels on the front panel that would make it a pro version. The light configuration does look unusual.

I am sure if you sent Bryston a picture they could give you the details. They have great service and the same people have been with the company for decades.
 
I have a 4b with this unusual light configuration.
Also the small power supply of the lights is rather unusual, it uses 7 volts for the TTL strip where the leds are on, which is NOT according what normals specs are NO designer of digital stuff would do this as 7 volts is abosute maximum (not tolerance) for TTL. Also the small power supply for the 7 volts has the text/legend printing on the wrong side of the board, which is not something to be proud of......
although the normal schematics of the 4b are no problem, guess they were not proud of themselves, as the schematic of the 4b version carrying this led strip I can not find? ......
here is the picture while I was sorting out the LED strip, I still have to refurbish the amp, I stopped working on it since once I decided first make a top cover since this is missing, still sitting in a box in a corner......
The leds can change from green to red so that is a pretty cool sight.

http://members.quicknet.nl/gerard.slikker/brystonled.jpg
 
Last edited:
I ended up emailing Bryston and they got back to me today. You were right on Raynald, Thanks.

"This unit is the first generation of the 2B, and would be referred to as a 2B Pro. The LED meters were a custom option, often used on amps used in theatres, recording studios, and radio stations.

This amp would be rated at 50 Watts per channel."
 
No problem, glad to help. I used to sell Bryston, used to be in contact with James Tanner and over the last few years Mike in service has been extremely helpful. Wonderful people to deal with.
 
Back
Top Bottom