• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

CL PayPal Saftey

Not worth the risk. Even if he is legit, I wouldn't do it. That's why every CL ad I post says clearly "Local only cash only! Thanks for looking!"
 
There are unknowns about the legitimacy of this transaction but why is the use of delivery service a red flag? Or why is delivery service questioned?

Delivery services are usually contracted by the buyer, the seller makes no arrangements and in unaware of the cost. Delivery services are normally insured and shipments are handled with much greater care than FedEx, UPS and others.
 
There are unknowns about the legitimacy of this transaction but why is the use of delivery service a red flag? Or why is delivery service questioned?

Delivery services are usually contracted by the buyer, the seller makes no arrangements and in unaware of the cost. Delivery services are normally insured and shipments are handled with much greater care than FedEx, UPS and others.

for me its one of those "it just is" type of things, hard to explain without appearing to be discriminatory, i dont trust people who say "delivery service" over naming the one you're using, if we're talking and you say you wanna use uship, and then go onto explain that its a delivery service, ok thats one thing.
if you just say "delivery service" and thats the end of that information trail, ok, no.

its all in HOW you say what you say, if im going to trust it or not.
i dont keep any of the emails from my exchanges with them, but it goessomething like "i would very much like to buy this, blah blah... ill use a delivery service so you wont have to worry about shipping, ill give you a little extra for your time, blah blah blah..."
if what you received is phrased similarly then i wouldnt do it, im just sayin..

oh, and if along with the aforementioned theres any mention at all of how this is for someone else and they're trying to do them a favor because they're in the military and deployed overseas, automatic bullshit and im blocking it right there.
 
Last edited:
I always say to myself , how bad do I want the item I'm interested in buying . If the seller only wants cash the I GO TO THE BANK or......ATM and locally
 
If the buyer is willing to arrange for a delivery service, then maybe he's willing to pay a wire transfer fee. Kinda hard to reverse that. Beware that BOTH banks charge the wire fransfer fee!!
 
This is definitely a scam. Tell that you only accept cash or fire transfer. Both are harder to forge than on-line account. Another relatively safe option is certified check from the same bank you use - it can be verified instantly.
 
Westy, tell him you will take a USPS money order, and have him direct you whether to take the gear to UPS or Fedex after you receive the Postal Service MO. You can't go wrong with this.

You get paid, he gets to pay shipping. Win/win.
 
Westy, tell him you will take a USPS money order, and have him direct you whether to take the gear to UPS or Fedex after you receive the Postal Service MO. You can't go wrong with this.

You get paid, he gets to pay shipping. Win/win.

And, if he tries to scam you, it becomes postal fraud.
 
It's not worth the risk to me. There is a language barrier that makes communication ambiguous at best.
I initially tried to work it out over the phone, but I couldn't understand what he was saying.

Here's the latest Email.

Pls keep me updated. Pls advise your paypal address as well as the pickup address. I need your address to list on Uship to find a driver to pickup this item.

I have called you but no reply. Pls call me. Thanks


Jerry
 
I see that a few other people beat me to it but I was going to suggest USPS money order....

It's the ONLY way I'll deal that's not "in cash, in person"....

Although hell I've been paying very close attention to cash as well....

Friend of mine sold a car on Craigslist recently to a dude that came down from New York (we're in PA)....

Long story short when my buddy went to the bank on Monday it turned out that $1000 of the cash he was given was fake!
Photocopies of 100 dollar bills on good hi rag content paper aged in tea and ran through the washer/dryer to give them some wear

NY is a "sign the title and hand it to them" state with no notary or anything involved so he has no idea of the other guys name or anything...

So anyhow.... Big sales look close at your cash too... Especially making sure that they don't all have the same serial number!
 
I see that a few other people beat me to it but I was going to suggest USPS money order....

It's the ONLY way I'll deal that's not "in cash, in person"....

Although hell I've been paying very close attention to cash as well....

Friend of mine sold a car on Craigslist recently to a dude that came down from New York (we're in PA)....

Long story short when my buddy went to the bank on Monday it turned out that $1000 of the cash he was given was fake!
Photocopies of 100 dollar bills on good hi rag content paper aged in tea and ran through the washer/dryer to give them some wear

NY is a "sign the title and hand it to them" state with no notary or anything involved so he has no idea of the other guys name or anything...

So anyhow.... Big sales look close at your cash too... Especially making sure that they don't all have the same serial number!


That is why I was selling a car, I insisted on going to the bank office and deposited money before handing title. I also made a photocopy of buyer's driver license too just in case.
 
There is only one rule about using PP on CL - don't do it. Cash only like a lot of other people say.
 
And, if he tries to scam you, it becomes postal fraud.

WRONG!!!
I got scammed out of $75.00 a few years back and the guy requested that I pay with a USPS money order. Never sent the goods.Tried and tried to get the money back. It costs even MORE money to process the claim. USPS uses a third party for money orders they are NOT postal money orders.
I even had my attorney send this as**ole a certified letter, la, la, la...
I was out $75.00
Chalked it up to a lesson learned.
The ONLY way I send money to anyone is a bank draft from BofA. If the recipient doesn't like it...I don't bother.
 
YES, Insist on CASH only.

Or a United States postal Money Order. And when you receive it you can take it to your local post office, and they can verify it's authenticity.
I have done this with a few items, but they weren't being picked up. I shipped them.
Talk about a leap of faith on the Buyers part.
 
Back
Top Bottom