• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Commercials You Hate

I have to admit I also like the them, as well as some of the Lincoln adds, but they do message "hey! we are so entitled. Screw you if you can't afford one of these!"

I personally do not have a problem with them marketing to people that think like that. At the end of the day they are not wrong, if you can’t afford it your can’t afford it.

Edit: not sayin it applies to you, but I think getting upset over advertising is just one of those “what can I be outraged about today” mindsets.
 
I've stated this before, but two celebrity commercials that drive me crazy are Tom Selleck's reverse mortgages and Joe Namath's Medicare supplemental plan commercials. My God, how many times a day do you have to buy space for those? somebody is making out like a bandit if they can afford to air them 40 times a day.
 
I personally do not have a problem with them marketing to people that think like that. At the end of the day they are not wrong, if you can’t afford it your can’t afford it.
Not offended by it at all. I like the adds in fact, but I do feel bad for the kids who are being ignored by the mom who is relaxing in her car:)
 
I've stated this before, but two celebrity commercials that drive me crazy are Tom Selleck's reverse mortgages and Joe Namath's Medicare supplemental plan commercials. My God, how many times a day do you have to buy space for those? somebody is making out like a bandit if they can afford to air them 40 times a day.

Great thing is they stop airing them around 8pm because the target audience is nodding off, plus I have noticed they are very network dependent.
 
I've stated this before, but two celebrity commercials that drive me crazy are Tom Selleck's reverse mortgages and Joe Namath's Medicare supplemental plan commercials. My God, how many times a day do you have to buy space for those? somebody is making out like a bandit if they can afford to air them 40 times a day.
You can add the Mesothelioma ambulance chasers to that list while your at it.
 
One of my current favorites is one of the fresh food delivery companies, complete meals delivered in measured portions and recipes.

“they send me step by step ingredients to follow” o_O
 
ALL Liberty Mutual commercials except for the 2 with Zoltar in them.

Yep, but I guess my hatred of them is not the commercial per se, but that we as a people are so damn stupid we have to be spoken to like 5 year olds. "Buy the insurance you need" and the total lack of understanding that your car loses 20%+ of it's value as soon as you buy it address a massive consumer ignorance.

Flonase is a close second with "6 is better than 1". First Grade anyone???

Then again...


“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

― George Carlin
 
Last edited:
ALL Liberty Mutual commercials except for the 2 with Zoltar in them.

I posted this 2 years ago and recently got some likes on it. Thanks guys! Since then, LM ads have gotten worse, WAY worse! They seem to be competing for most ridiculous advertising ever. None of their ads make even the slightest bit of sense and would certainly never pique my interest using LM insurance for any thing.

Commercials I hate, any that promote gambling in a way that suggests ordinary people look forward to participating, (maybe as soon as they get home from work, and before doing anything else), and are so much happier when gambling than when they are not. :thumbsdown: - patently ridiculous.

I agree! Gambling as I'm sure you're aware is addictive. Advertising such a behavior in a way that encourages it in a way that glorifies it while ignoring the consequences is grossly irresponsible and suggests that the advertisers are ignoring the fact that they also face consequences, including eternal retribution for destroying people's lives.
 
I have not purchased, nor will I ever purchase insurance from an insurance company that advertises on tv.
Amen.
 
Last edited:
We have a local ambulance chasing personal injury attorney who's voice and mug are featured in his ads. In a very nasal tone he says, "one call, that's all." His name is David Gruber and he's a dead ringer for Squidward's voice when he says that. His ads also feature little kids, like 3 or 4 year olds who can't talk all that well yet saying, one call, that's all. Like that's going to make me call him?

There are of course other attorneys ads and while they aren't quite as annoying in their tone, it's clear that if you just bump your elbow, they can get you the money YOU deserve. Slimeballs.
 
This!


I used to like Flo. Now, want her lips slapped off of her face.

The answer is easy, at least it was/is for me : Walk away from commercial TV..
I weened myself of it in 2010 and haven`t missed one single bit, especially with reading threads/posts on A/K since joining in 2016 about the current dismal state of it these days !
And no doubt I`m certain commercial TV isn`t going to get any better !
 
Biggest pet peeve these days is the Lexus commercial with the female overdub that's supposed to sound like a rich, entitled, high-born, snooty, English woman extolling the virtues of a status symbol car for people who know they've "arrived".

Maybe some of our cousins across the pond can either affirm or disavow, I've heard that in Britain, they use American voices for such ads.
Whatever the commercials are trying to make you do, they often succeed, at least with a percentage of viewers.
Google "Edward Bernays" for more on this mind-manipulation.
 
The answer is easy, at least it was/is for me : Walk away from commercial TV..
I weened myself of it in 2010 and haven`t missed one single bit, especially with reading threads/posts on A/K since joining in 2016 about the current dismal state of it these days !
And no doubt I`m certain commercial TV isn`t going to get any better !
I don't watch much of it by choice. However, my friend/roommate is addicted to politics and watches MSNBC a lot. I usually go to AK with headphones on listening to YouTube music premium. Periodically, I pause the music and see what's going on and here come the ads. :thumbsdown:
 
Last edited:
I don't watch much of it by choice. However, my friend/roommate is addicted to politics and watches MSNBC a lot. I usually get go to AK with headphones on listening to YouTube music premium. Periodically, I pause the music and see what's going on and here come the ads. :thumbsdown:

It can be pretty entertaining flipping back and forth between MSNBC and Fox :beatnik:
 
Has anyone mentioned that obnoxious Fidelity "change in plans!" commercial? I can't find the remote to mute it fast enough. It's the one with the annoying middle aged couple who buy a loft so they can be near to their pregnant daughter. "We'd be closer to the twins!". Arrgh. The guy has an annoying accent and slicked back hair, overly hip, and of course the woman is a secret artist! "Mom, you could sell these!"
 
Back
Top Bottom