• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon dp 80 vs yamaha gt 2000

Any magnetic motor will cog, and a cored motor will cog more than a coreless one. However, in any competently designed DD the PLL has no issue compensating for this.
 
Here's a fun video: I've a MKII chassis on my work stand, which is just 4 lengths of 5MM threaded rod with rubber feet. As the video progresses I'm tapping the corner of the chassis with less and less force each time. Seeing how these disturbances affect the drive voltage, you can imagine what it looks like from a cold start.

Note, on the taps where there was no change to the waveform, I didn't actual tap hard enough to move the chassis.

 
Very cool! I really need a scope. If I get this job I'm aiming for and the wife and I end up staying in the same area for a while, hopefully I can move into an actual house sooner rather than later. Then I'll have a place for a scope.
 
JP where you are tapping the Mk2 chassis on the work stand showing on the scope how it affects the drive voltage has me reflecting on the positive value of plinths to buffer the chassis from disturbances. From what I have seen various mfgs top tier tables even added substantial sub frames contributing extra mass and weight to already substantial plinths to deal with "disturbances". This would of mainly been for the consumer market while broadcast/recording were already using large/heavy consoles for their tables. My guess is that plinths were more than window dressing and if well designed were purposeful.
 
What's in the video is exacerbated as the tapping is causing torsional movement of the chassis relative to the platter. That's one the reasons the taps toward the end don't show any disturbance on the scope; I didn't tap hard enough to cause torsional movement.
 
Couldn't say. Lot's of pros and cons either way.

I've found a lot of sources claiming coreless cogs less, but I think the main benefit in a turntable would be the speed of corrections. Any magnetic core has some hysteresis so eliminating it should make the motor able to change magnetic states more precisely. Whether or not that results in an audible change in performance is another question.
 
In polar plots between an SP-10 MK3, SL-1200GAE, TX-1000, etc. I can't see any differences that couldn't be attributed to arm/cart behavior. I've been playing with an idea for an optical W&F measurement method, or a measurement off the motor FG. Unless there's an issue they all perform below the threshold of measurability with a test record.
 
I have to admit, being one, I do get a nice laugh whenever I read someone being categorically critical of semi-autos.
 
I have to admit, being one, I do get a nice laugh whenever I read someone being categorically critical of semi-autos.
Being "categorically critical" of anything verges on absurdity. It indicates a closed mind, that probably extends far beyond audio into many aspects of life
 
I have a DP-80 and love it. It not only sounds great but allows me the chance to try different arms and plinths. My current project is to cast one. Having never heard the Yamaha I can imagine it must sound great but then all you can do is change cartridge. I can forever keep improving my DP-80 and seeking that next level.
 
Back
Top Bottom