• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Genesis Physics Speakers:Model II

moggi1964

Active Member
Anyone have any experience of these?

I found some info on the Human SPeakers website but ears-on experience is preferred :music:

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
They're a really solid performer with the inverted dome tweeter and passive radiator. The bass response will really surprise you. Of course they were the first real speakers I ever owned as a teenager, so I will never sell the pair I have...:thmbsp:
 
Most of the good qualities of the 1s, but with deeper bass. But I think there are more cabinet colorations -- the front panel needs stiffening since it has three closely spaced holes in it. And like all passive radiators, everything needs to be airtight.
 
Of course they were the first real speakers I ever owned as a teenager, so I will never sell the pair I have...:thmbsp:

Oh Mr. fancy pants had "real speakers" when he was a teenager? :D
Man.... I didn't have S#!t when I was a teen. Still trying to make up for lost time....
 
They are my workshop (aka unfinished basement) speakers and I love them. I had planned to sell them after refurbishing, but ended up selling my DLK 3 instead.

Tweeters are superb, as is imaging. Midrange is not the cleanest, but it is still smooth and very pleasant. Bass gets crazy deep and reasonably flat with the right positioning, but not very clean at all above low volumes. Don't take this to mean that it's like a wimpy booming ported speaker that falls apart when turned up. It's just a fuzzy-edged bass sound is all; quite enjoyable with most music.

They won't get terribly loud, but plenty for average rooms I think, but only need about 25wpc.

As mentioned, the cabinets are poor. Bracing and re-sealing or building new ones would be a pretty sure-fire upgrade. I think I will build the 2+ cabinets for mine one of these days.
 
Last edited:
If I recall correctly, one of the projects that Huw has on the Human speaker website is building better cabinets for the IIs.
 
Having owned a couple pair of these, I take issue with some of the preceding comments. I must admit, I'm running these speakers with top notch ancillaries, so perhaps I'm hearing these speakers at their very best. To my critical ears, the mids are superb, with highs to match. Dispersion is also superb, thanks to the excellent inverted-dome mid/tweeter. I find the bass response good, but not outstanding. What bass there is, is very clean. The cabinets are pretty solid, however I used some 1 in. square hardwood pieces to firm them up even more.

Their reputation is such that they can command fairly high prices.
 
Does anyone know if.... functionally.... there's any real difference between the Genesis Model II and the Model 20 ? Almost identical sized cabinet, same drivers... just arranged differently.
 
Alright sealy, I stand by my statement that the midrange is "not the cleanest", but I will qualify it by saying that I was only trying to pick out something to be critical about. I hear even harmonic distortion. It still sounds great.

As for the bass, we may just have different performing speakers in that department. It might have a lot to do with my replacing the spiders (with ones I was told would be extremely close to the original compliance). They are flat way down into the 30s.
 
I'm currently refoaming a pair that I picked up for $2.00 at a garage sale.

They'll be ready in 2 days and I can't wait.

I have a pair of Koss Cm1010 which are a similar design that I restored and I will NEVER sell these speakers, they are incredible!!!
 
Alright sealy, I stand by my statement that the midrange is "not the cleanest", but I will qualify it by saying that I was only trying to pick out something to be critical about. I hear even harmonic distortion. It still sounds great.

As for the bass, we may just have different performing speakers in that department. It might have a lot to do with my replacing the spiders (with ones I was told would be extremely close to the original compliance). They are flat way down into the 30s.
They are spec'd into the low 30's, you're right. I'm not really a bass freak and as such, most of my music lacks any real bass below 40 hz. When I say they've got nice mid range response, I'm probably describing the upper mids, where the inverted dome really shines. My big amp really does seem to open up the mids as well as improving bass definition. A 2 grand cd player doesn't hurt the sound, either.
 
Thanks for all the great responses. DO I take it that re-foaming one wouldn't be a problem as far as parts go?
 
shouldnt be you can get the kits for that on the bay i think there might even be places that sells the green color foam that genesis used i thought i seen some somewhere.
 
Thanks for all the great responses. DO I take it that re-foaming one wouldn't be a problem as far as parts go?
Nope, the right measurements are commonly available. I'm not sure if anyone is still selling the green ones (they have been mfg. relatively recently), but I didn't bother seeking them out. Check out the spiders though - if they've been sitting with bad foam the light spiders get wrecked fast. They are still worth getting with bad spiders (like I said above, I redid them on my current pair), but only for VERY cheap.
 
i listed a brochure from genesis ,do a quick search. it has some specs you are looking for. refoaming is straight forward,i used generic foam and it worked fine.one thing to watch for is the plate for the speaker connectors in the rear. they are glued on from the inside,and do come loose, this will cause an air leak. i reglued mine when i refoamed.enjoy them.
 
These are just like EPI speakers (several EPI people started Genesis) in that the more power you give them the better they will perform. You can drive them with a 40 watt per channel receiver and they will sound very good. Hook them up to a set of good separates with 150 watts or so on tap......completely different speaker.
 
I had a pair back in 1990. They had a deep bass, kinda sounds like you have a small sub hidden in the room. Good all around speaker for just about every music genre, mid's and highs were very good. Be carefull of placement or the bass will take over the sonics and be boomy. Keep them off the floor maybe 2 feet and away from the wall.

IMO one of the best bang for buck speakers out there on the used market since everything sounds good on them. Alas I did outgrow them and the deep bass after about 3 years.
 
These are just like EPI speakers (several EPI people started Genesis) in that the more power you give them the better they will perform. You can drive them with a 40 watt per channel receiver and they will sound very good. Hook them up to a set of good separates with 150 watts or so on tap......completely different speaker.
I don't entirely agree with that.. They are a lot like the very few EPI models with 8" woofers and passive radiators. 150W or so is what I would recommend too, but above 25-50W I don't see the dramatic benefits in these as you sometimes see in the acoustic suspension models (Genesis or EPI).
 
i listed a brochure from genesis ,do a quick search. it has some specs you are looking for. refoaming is straight forward,i used generic foam and it worked fine.one thing to watch for is the plate for the speaker connectors in the rear. they are glued on from the inside,and do come loose, this will cause an air leak. i reglued mine when i refoamed.enjoy them.

Thanks for the suggestion; I searched and found it.

Huw at Human is a great resource too.

I realize that my little Magnavox is going to struggle to drive these but the fun will be in working on them.
 
Back
Top Bottom