• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How to destroy nice speakers

Register to hide this ad
He had no idea that they were "modified". Good thing someone pointed it out or nobody would have realized that the Kickers were about the worst thing you could put in there. WTF is wrong with some people?:sigh: I wouldn't take them as a gift.
 
The originals woofers were no gems either.

He's asking what the tweeters used to go for on eBay it looks like to me.
 
I saw that ad. $699. That guy is either a slickster or nuts for thinking those things command that kind of money.
 
I saw that ad. $699. That guy is either a slickster or nuts for thinking those things command that kind of money.

Yep, I don't think anything ess made is worth that shorta of money, I have 3 pairs downstairs. I am debating do I restore them, part them or get rid of them. I can't see just tossing them but I don't think ess stuff will ever be worth a lot and they do take up a lot of real estate. this guy should just sell the tweeters take what ever he can get for them and call it a day :yes:
 
Yep, I don't think anything ess made is worth that shorta of money, I have 3 pairs downstairs. I am debating do I restore them, part them or get rid of them. I can't see just tossing them but I don't think ess stuff will ever be worth a lot and they do take up a lot of real estate. this guy should just sell the tweeters take what ever he can get for them and call it a day :yes:

The $699 is way out of line with the kickers, the AMT1 is a bit high, but look original, just needs a refoam, but not that bad IMHO.
I disagree on ESS not making anything worth that, 2 pairs of refurbed AMT3's went for $1400 recently.
I have 2 pairs of AMT3's (arounf $300/pr paid) as well, and with the proper refurbing, and Orange County Speaker 1040SF woofer upgrade, they will give most speakers a run for their money-even with only refurbing the woofers they still sound better than most speakers. The Alnico woofers tend to loose output over time, and with high powered amps, and need recharging, and can benefit from reconing. Or you can go the Eminece 1040SF route, as I did. The one I have done so far will shake the walls, when the program material calls for it, if thats what you are looking for. The aren't disco speakers, they are made to play music, and they do it well IMHO.
Regular AMT's can also benefit greatly from such upgrades.
Don't be to quick to toss them out, they might end up (probably) blowing away the current set of speakers you are listening to, especially if they have the Great Heils.
 
Last edited:
Don't be to quick to toss them out, they might end up (probably) blowing away the current set of speakers you are listening to, especially if they have the Great Heils.

I don't know my Lowther speakers seem to be pretty high up there, of course I am using a tube amp with them. If I put the ess in my system I would have to change to a SS system which I don't want. I may restore them and play them just to see what they sound like. But so far the lowthers aren't leaving the system :yes:
 
I don't know my Lowther speakers seem to be pretty high up there, of course I am using a tube amp with them. If I put the ess in my system I would have to change to a SS system which I don't want. I may restore them and play them just to see what they sound like. But so far the lowthers aren't leaving the system :yes:

Rocky5656 is running his AMT3's with tubes, and seems to have good luck.
 
ESS made electrostatic speakers before they bought the patent rights to Oskar's driver.

Some even used TL. I like my ESS-Nine conventionals with Philips drivers, very smooth.
 
Back
Top Bottom