• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I am so old I remember........

Anyone remember the old allergy pill, Dristan? Was that the one with the time release "tiny time pills"?

I think the capsule with tiny time pills was CONTAC. Wasn't Dristan a tablet?

I remember Zayre's, Korvette, and Service Merchandise. And Polk Brothers appliances in Chicago. And MOhawk 4-4100, C.E.T. for Television!
 
I think the capsule with tiny time pills was CONTAC. Wasn't Dristan a tablet?

I remember Zayre's, Korvette, and Service Merchandise. And Polk Brothers appliances in Chicago. And MOhawk 4-4100, C.E.T. for Television!

Contac! Yep. Worked nicely.

I remember going in Service Merchandise and just about losing it as a kid. Equipment wall to wall. I once returned TWO sanyo cassette decks and told the beleaguered sales clerk that they DIDN'T WORK RIGHT!

It was an inch per second thang. My 10 year old ears knew something was off. Seems Sanyo's ran a little slow.
 
I think the capsule with tiny time pills was CONTAC. Wasn't Dristan a tablet?

I remember Zayre's, Korvette, and Service Merchandise. And Polk Brothers appliances in Chicago. And MOhawk 4-4100, C.E.T. for Television!

You must have lived on Long Island. I lived in North Babylon and our number was Mohawk (MO)9-7488. And E. J. Korvettes was a stones throw away. 45 records .69.

Matchbox cars!

HO Train layouts.

Robbie the Robot. He had a wire with a crank on the end to move him around.

Erector sets, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Block City, Kennar Girder and Panel kits.

Gilbert Chemistry sets.

I was crazy about construction toys :yes:
 
When I was about 8 years old, my parents sent me to the stores with $1 to pick up 1 gallon of gasoline, milk (not certain what size it was), a pack of cigarettes (Winston), & I got to pick 2 comic books for myself. All for a buck.
What a bargin, huh?
 
Back in th 50s, I think it was 56 or 57, Ford came out with a convertible that had a hardtop that it stored in the very long trunk. It had a sensor in the back bumper in case you left the car with the top down, or in this case the trunk. If it started raining, and a few drops of the rain hit the sensor, it would automatically start the mechanism to put the top up to prevent the car interior from getting soaked. It took 2 or 3 minutes for the whole sequence and it was quite a show. Since only the front lip of the top folded when it was getting up or down, and the top went nearly vertical in the process, the whole "gizmo" went very high. I remember when I was with my buddies and came across one of them with the top down, we would put a bit of saliva in a finger and rub it in the sensor. That was when we were bad, when we were "really" bad we would just spit on the sensor. That activated the system, the top would start getting the top up, and usually the owner of the car would come out from wherever he was, screaming at us and we would run away. That is one of the worst things we did, what a difference from the kids nowadays.
 
we called our friends parents by Mr. and Mrs. so & so. To this day, I still do this and they usually chuckle and say to call them by their first name, which sometimes I don't know.

For me, that is still how it is and should be. ANYONE older than me by a few years is automatically Mr or Mrs, as is anyone in a shop, bank, travel agent or any company. I can't undo it.
 
Playing Gorgon on my home built Apple II+. Playing the original Pong prototype in the science museum in San Francisco as an 8th grader in like 1970. Very cool!
 
For me, that is still how it is and should be. ANYONE older than me by a few years is automatically Mr or Mrs, as is anyone in a shop, bank, travel agent or any company. I can't undo it.

Yep. When I went up to meet my wife's folks in Summer 206, I was CONCERNED. A Hick, backwoods boy from NE Tennessee, going to CAPE COD, which is like where the Aristocracy of the Aristocrats in America come from ?!? THIS ain't gonna go well, I figured.. Surprise..I got along fine. They MARVELLED at my QUAINT habit of saying "Yes, Ma'am, No, Sir" etc all the time. I told them that they didn't understand, if I DIDN'T do that, one of my Granmothers would likely Rise Outta Her Grave, & Jerk a Knot in my Tail, for being Impudent...They didn't realize the HOLD a "Mamaw" has on a typical Southern man.... But I must confess, I "Gamed" the system, just a bit..I kinda turned my "Southern" accent up to 11 or 12 while I was up there..No Yankee woman, & most of the men, can resist a good, authentic "Southern" accent...
 
There was a cute girl who worked in our office back in the seventies who was from Georgia. With the thickest, (but soft ) beautiful accent you have ever heard. The seat next to her was never unoccupied.
 
Playing Gorgon on my home built Apple II+. Playing the original Pong prototype in the science museum in San Francisco as an 8th grader in like 1970. Very cool!

Anyone remember Dr J vs Larry Bird on Apple II e?? And miner 2049??
HOURS wasted on that, lol

Yep. When I went up to meet my wife's folks in Summer 206, I was CONCERNED. A Hick, backwoods boy from NE Tennessee, going to CAPE COD, which is like where the Aristocracy of the Aristocrats in America come from ?!? THIS ain't gonna go well, I figured.. Surprise..I got along fine. They MARVELLED at my QUAINT habit of saying "Yes, Ma'am, No, Sir" etc all the time. I told them that they didn't understand, if I DIDN'T do that, one of my Granmothers would likely Rise Outta Her Grave, & Jerk a Knot in my Tail, for being Impudent...They didn't realize the HOLD a "Mamaw" has on a typical Southern man.... But I must confess, I "Gamed" the system, just a bit..I kinda turned my "Southern" accent up to 11 or 12 while I was up there..No Yankee woman, & most of the men, can resist a good, authentic "Southern" accent...

Every true southern man loves his "mawmaw", myself included.

There was a cute girl who worked in our office back in the seventies who was from Georgia. With the thickest, (but soft ) beautiful accent you have ever heard. The seat next to her was never unoccupied.

Many years ago, had a summer romance with a girl from Alabama. She called school "skuue"....broke up due to the 330 miles between us...

17 years later, God as my witness, she walks thru the mall I was working with her husband, who lives 10 miles down the road. And yes, I know it was her. Had met her sister in law the previous week.

Life sure is strange.
 
Back
Top Bottom