• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Laserology - CD Players and why they stop reading

How many has Philips CDM 4/20? It was used in the CDC-series changer systems, but the platter is different. Started to work in Technics SL-PG200A after changing the laser to the original base.

View attachment 3345835
View attachment 3345833
Be prepared for a disappointment. Some people say these players just need new caps but in the old days every single one with read failure worked after replacing the CDM unit, which is no longer available. If it was bad caps, replacing the CDM unit would not have worked.
 
Be prepared for a disappointment. Some people say these players just need new caps but in the old days every single one with read failure worked after replacing the CDM unit, which is no longer available. If it was bad caps, replacing the CDM unit would not have worked.
I already had replaced the failed blue cap. I think if the faulty cap is in place too long, it will ruin the laser in the long run. I now have on extra working laser as a spare, and 5 non working...
 
If the otherwise excellent, pretty and valuable mint player starts having laser problems at the original owner, it will inevitably end up in the hands of the laser guru, who will turn up the power of laser emission. It may help the laser to read better TEMPORARILY. ... That is how mint collectors players end up in the hands of happy new owners only to die 2 weeks later. ... A dying laser with cranked up emission will die very fast.

When one purchases a used CD player, is there any way to tell (without specialized equipment) if the laser power has been turned up?
 
For those Ak members with knowledge of the Philips CDM cd mechanisms, can you advise if the brushless turntable motors on the various Philips CDM are the same/interchangeable?

I've been advised that the turntable motor on my Philips CDM1 mkII is faulty and I have researchd that the Philips CDM 4/25 also has a brushless motor. I am able to find a donor Philips CD650 with the CDM 4/25 cd mechanism, but I would like to know in advance if the brushless motor can be used to repair my CDM1 mkII?

Thanks

Don

​

 
Last edited:
Saved this Yamaha CDX-520 from the dump. It has bad skipping problem, but some cd's are now playing, after I somehow adjusted the clamp. Is there anything I can do for the exotic and expensive looking TAOHS-JP3 mechanism? It has a metal plate as the body.Yamaha CDX-520 4.2.2025 #2.jpg
 
For those Ak members with knowledge of the Philips CDM cd mechanisms, can you advise if the brushless turntable motors on the various Philips CDM are the same/interchangeable?

I've been advised that the turntable motor on my Philips CDM1 mkII is faulty and I have researchd that the Philips CDM 4/25 also has a brushless motor. I am able to find a donor Philips CD650 with the CDM 4/25 cd mechanism, but I would like to know in advance if the brushless motor can be used to repair my CDM1 mkII?

Thanks

Don
Those motors DO NOT die. It's usually the drive section on the laser/drive board. But yes, it's the same motor. The difference between the 2 mechs is basically the chassis. One is metal.
 
I have a CEC CD3300 that plays fine, tray opens and closes, but will only function if you push on the tray as it finishes closing, I have pulled the tray out and lubed everything I could see that would help get the mechanism to finish raising all the way up, alas no joy. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9369.jpeg
    IMG_9369.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9368.jpeg
    IMG_9368.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 11
I have a CEC CD3300 that plays fine, tray opens and closes, but will only function if you push on the tray as it finishes closing, I have pulled the tray out and lubed everything I could see that would help get the mechanism to finish raising all the way up, alas no joy. Any ideas?
Needs a new loading belt.
 
Saved this Yamaha CDX-520 from the dump. It has bad skipping problem, but some cd's are now playing, after I somehow adjusted the clamp. Is there anything I can do for the exotic and expensive looking TAOHS-JP3 mechanism? It has a metal plate as the body.View attachment 3418452
Lubricate the top bearing of the disc motor with a couple drops of light machine oil. Check for scraping noises as the cd spins. The clamp should float in the arm and not rub. Sometimes the springs on the mechanism sag and cause the mechanism to ride low and the clamp will scrape on the arm. If that is the case, stretch each spring by the distance of one turn. Make sure the springs go back in the original position, they are different.
 
Lubricate the top bearing of the disc motor with a couple drops of light machine oil. Check for scraping noises as the cd spins. The clamp should float in the arm and not rub. Sometimes the springs on the mechanism sag and cause the mechanism to ride low and the clamp will scrape on the arm. If that is the case, stretch each spring by the distance of one turn. Make sure the springs go back in the original position, they are different.
New motor seemed to help, it still does not play all cd's but most are working. CD-R's were not invented yet in 1988.
 
A friend in the business says manufacturers first develop new technology and make sure the product will work with out issues, so they can heavily promote the product safely. Then others copy the product trying to make it cheaper and then cheaper and then cheaper. Thats why current and machines made lately don't hold up as well as the original CD players made in the mid 80's.

But they also said Luxman players seem to never fail. But then becomes the part where the rubber meets the road. Are you willing to pay for Luxman player prices?

Remember how Plasma displays didn't hold up very well and had altitude issues. Even though Pioneer didn't manufacture the screens them selves, they made all the other ncessary parts and the units seemed to work for ever. Mine will be 15 years old next Spring. My second CD player lasted over 25 years. The MVP player I bought in 2010 lasted 13 years and my Current CD player lasted only 6 years before getting a new laser assembly and new drive assembly. See the trend. I guess I will buy a Luxman if this one doesn't out last me. Now that Oppo is gone I don't know what I will do for the next MVP player.
 
A friend in the business says manufacturers first develop new technology and make sure the product will work with out issues, so they can heavily promote the product safely. Then others copy the product trying to make it cheaper and then cheaper and then cheaper. Thats why current and machines made lately don't hold up as well as the original CD players made in the mid 80's.

But they also said Luxman players seem to never fail. But then becomes the part where the rubber meets the road. Are you willing to pay for Luxman player prices?

Remember how Plasma displays didn't hold up very well and had altitude issues. Even though Pioneer didn't manufacture the screens them selves, they made all the other ncessary parts and the units seemed to work for ever. Mine will be 15 years old next Spring. My second CD player lasted over 25 years. The MVP player I bought in 2010 lasted 13 years and my Current CD player lasted only 6 years before getting a new laser assembly and new drive assembly. See the trend. I guess I will buy a Luxman if this one doesn't out last me. Now that Oppo is gone I don't know what I will do for the next MVP player.
For DVD players I buy the cheapest Sony player on Amazon. Typically they last 4 - 5 years. At $75 I just buy another one. There are no parts available for them anyway. For CD players, anything that uses a Sony KSS-210A, KSS-240A, KSS-213 is repairable because those pickups are available. I can keep a player running until the disc motor fails and the Mabuchi motors last a long time.
 
I got a Pioneer DVD player for $10 at a thrift store, original MSRP was $1,200. Sadly, still has CUE. Anyway, it does not want to play DVD, spins up then down, then ejects. Plays CDs. BUT: after playing a CD for a while it plays the DVD it rejected before. Something warms up? The grease becomes greasier? The lens become more transparent? :) I have no understanding of electronics besides knowing how basic electric elements work, up to a transistor. I cannot read schematics. It is $10, so no big deal if I break it, but I don't want to break it :) What should I do first? Is it likely electrical or mechanical?
 
I got a Pioneer DVD player for $10 at a thrift store, original MSRP was $1,200. Sadly, still has CUE. Anyway, it does not want to play DVD, spins up then down, then ejects. Plays CDs. BUT: after playing a CD for a while it plays the DVD it rejected before. Something warms up? The grease becomes greasier? The lens become more transparent? :) I have no understanding of electronics besides knowing how basic electric elements work, up to a transistor. I cannot read schematics. It is $10, so no big deal if I break it, but I don't want to break it :) What should I do first? Is it likely electrical or mechanical?
Usually a DVD player that plays CDs but not DVDs or vice versa has a bad laser. In this case you can try putting a few drops of light machine oil on the top bearing of the disc motor. If that doesn't fix it, trash it, because there are no parts available for DVD players.
 
Back
Top Bottom