• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's see your cans!

Popular complaint is that the headbands break. Mine have never been broken, besides a small crack which I would call my own fault by shoving them into the pocket of my Carhartt, and now they seem a little loose from wearing them so much, but hey, they are 4 years old this year, that's expected right? I just bought a new pair at the store with a fresh headband. Still love 'em.

Yeah, I was reading some stuff about that...but they seem pretty solid, compared to many a $20 set...4 years is pretty grand, many I by at the lower end of things (ie;for computer,travel) I only expect a year out of, reasonably.

As for the old picture. That's almost certainly WWI gear, look at the clothing. As for how they worked; large horns collect sound, simple enough, but that alone would hardly find a plane. As I recall, they would triangulate a relitive positition using several sets of horns*. Also recall that pre jet-era planes, especially from WWI used noisy props, if you've ever been near an airshow, you can hear the older planes from quite a ways, barring amplification. Chances are, they were accurate enough...if they formulated a position with multiple horns, then it would work alright....still nothing compared to radar, though.

*ie; listen for relitive position in degrees with two sets of these things, draw up the distance between and match degrees...keep in mind, if they did this twice in a set amount of time, they could find general path and speed, even.
Actually, if an illegal radio signal is detected, they triangulate in much the same way (using signal recievers), and can find it extremely accurately.

You can also note the large radio antenna to the right, the square thing:yes:
 
As for the old picture. That's almost certainly WWI gear, look at the clothing.

Sorry, I'm no expert on clothing by decade. :D Especially that far back and when it varies so much by region/country/preference anyway.

As for how they worked; large horns collect sound, simple enough, but that alone would hardly find a plane. As I recall, they would triangulate a relitive positition using several sets of horns*. Also recall that pre jet-era planes, especially from WWI used noisy props, if you've ever been near an airshow, you can hear the older planes from quite a ways, barring amplification. Chances are, they were accurate enough...if they formulated a position with multiple horns, then it would work alright....still nothing compared to radar, though.

*ie; listen for relitive position in degrees with two sets of these things, draw up the distance between and match degrees...keep in mind, if they did this twice in a set amount of time, they could find general path and speed, even.
Actually, if an illegal radio signal is detected, they triangulate in much the same way (using signal recievers), and can find it extremely accurately.

You can also note the large radio antenna to the right, the square thing:yes:

This all makes sense, triangulation (at least afaik...non math/physics/engineer/tech major I am). I thought only range can be found by triangulation though, not speed/direction...? Of course seems that you locate range at one time, then again later, and thus then can find direction and/or speed that way? (Again, no expert here or even intermediate so excuse the naivety! This is all just off the top of the head conjecture).

And yes prop planes are loud (hell, a friend of mine owns one!) of course, but due to all sorts of phenomena/variables (land objects or Doppler effect for instance) I'd hate to be standing in a field trying to locate which direction or at which speed a prop plane was coming from...in fact I have with him and was totally wrong! (And yes I've been to many air shows too where it's like "where is that thing coming from?").

Now I know that his little prop plane is probably not as loud as an older military plane (though I really have no way of knowing the decibels produced by such engines in general) much less several, but still... Of course I suppose with practice one could more easily discern such things.
 
Sorry, I'm no expert on clothing by decade. :D Especially that far back and when it varies so much by region/country/preference anyway.

Well then, let me tell you:D...I shouldn't know nearly as much as I do about fabric and clothing, i'll leave it at that.

This all makes sense, triangulation (at least afaik...non math/physics/engineer/tech major I am). I thought only range can be found by triangulation though, not speed/direction...? Of course seems that you locate range at one time, then again later, and thus then can find direction and/or speed that way? (Again, no expert here or even intermediate so excuse the naivety! This is all just off the top of the head conjecture).

Exactly, two samples from two sorces of a known distance, recording the degree where the sound is strongest, even just 5-10 minutes would tell you where they are going, and you could roughly calculate how fast, if you knew how to convert points to distance.

I also believe the use of such a device would fall under "bettter than nothing":yes:

Edit; also, sweet avatar!
 
Well then, let me tell you:D...I shouldn't know nearly as much as I do about fabric and clothing, i'll leave it at that.

Haha, ok then! :D

Exactly, two samples from two sorces of a known distance, recording the degree where the sound is strongest, even just 5-10 minutes would tell you where they are going, and you could roughly calculate how fast, if you knew how to convert points to distance.

Really? I got that right? Cool! Sometimes on the fly conjecture can work!

I also believe the use of such a device would fall under "bettter than nothing":yes:

I will concede that on the surface it will appear so (and I wasn't really meaning to argue otherwise, it is reasonable to think so prima facie...it's just that I'm skeptical when I see such seemingly--at first glance--silly devices), but I'd still like to see some empirical data as to the true effectiveness of such methods/devices.

But I'm just not all that interested in this (or have the time to be) so I'm content with the little knowledge of this subject I've gained. Besides, enough thread hijack!


Edit; also, sweet avatar!

Haha, thanks, Geddy as the Wicked Witch of the West!

I like yours too, although it kind of grosses me out. :D
 
I will add to this thread.....this is me, drinking, enjoying all the new music I have found....right now.

They are Grado SR325i, with the electrical tape cup mod, running off a modded X-Fi card with the opamps upgraded. Using Winamp with the MAD plugin, mix of mp3's and FLAC source. Sound truly "heavenly" to me....


Nothing better than sipping your favorite poison, listening to music on good cans thru a good source...

SDC10327.jpg
 
They are Grado SR325i, with the electrical tape cup mod....

I've got the 225i's and enjoy them. The highs can be grainy and the cups kind of uncomfortable, but I use them to listen to metal all the time and they have such a fun and addicting sound. I tried the tape cup mod as well but didn't really hear enough of difference for me to want to keep it on.

Lately I've been thinking of "upgrading" to the 325i's just to compare the two and sell back the one I like least. I would try something even higher up in the line but just can't personally spend that much.

Enjoy! :thmbsp:
 
My Sony headphones

These are my Sony MDR-XD400 Great sound and fantastic bass.

* Driver Unit : 50mm, dome type
* Frequency Response : 5Hz - 30,000Hz
* Impedance : 24 ohms
* Sensitivity (db) : 106dB/mW
* Power Handling Capacity : 1,500mW
 

Attachments

  • Sony-MDR-XD400-Stereo-Headphones-B0007N55OG-L.jpg
    Sony-MDR-XD400-Stereo-Headphones-B0007N55OG-L.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 38
Not a really great picture, taken by not a really great camera. Here's an artsy-fartsy shot of my beyerdynamic DT880, along with the receiver that powers them:

Beyers.jpg


This is where I do my best listening, until I snag an amp for these. They're great for classical and other non-amplified recordings, and they do fine with well-recorded rock and pop as well. The Kenwood is very neutral (though it sounds slightly brighter to me now that I've cleaned the switches and knobs for the first time), which suits these Beyers okay, but I'd like to find something a little warmer to really make them sing.

The weird reflection on the right side of the dial is from the living room chandelier.
 
Cool pic Squonk! :thmbsp:

Those 880's look a lot like my 770's. I bet with a dedicated amp they will really open up and sing. :music: (I find my 770 600 ohm somewhat hard to drive, even with the amp I use...out of my integrated out they sound half as good).

I have a KR-7600 myself; been downstairs unused for a couple of years (yea, need to sell it). Conversely to what you describe I found it to sound too dark, muffled, and bass centric for me. Powerful though.
 
Cool pic Squonk! :thmbsp:

Those 880's look a lot like my 770's. I bet with a dedicated amp they will really open up and sing. :music: (I find my 770 600 ohm somewhat hard to drive, even with the amp I use...out of my integrated out they sound half as good).

I have a KR-7600 myself; been downstairs unused for a couple of years (yea, need to sell it). Conversely to what you describe I found it to sound too dark, muffled, and bass centric for me. Powerful though.

All the premium Beyers look alike except for the grill (or lack of one, as in the case of the 770s). I really like the look of the 990, which I think is the best looking Beyer (even better than the T1).

That's weird about your Kenwood. I trust your assessment, but usually that description would go along with something like a Marantz. Could just be down to personal preference or synergy, or maybe your unit is different somehow or something is wrong with it. Have you ever had it serviced/done it yourself?

And, I think the thread would benefit greatly from some pictures of your gear--especially those 770s, as I don't recall if there's a shot of the revised version here or not.
 
All the premium Beyers look alike except for the grill (or lack of one, as in the case of the 770s). I really like the look of the 990, which I think is the best looking Beyer (even better than the T1).

That's weird about your Kenwood. I trust your assessment, but usually that description would go along with something like a Marantz. Could just be down to personal preference or synergy, or maybe your unit is different somehow or something is wrong with it. Have you ever had it serviced/done it yourself?

And, I think the thread would benefit greatly from some pictures of your gear--especially those 770s, as I don't recall if there's a shot of the revised version here or not.

Yea, kind of like a lot of Grado's look similar I guess too (besides the plastic, metal, or woodie construction).

I have to admit that I got the Kenny on epay for a good price (including service manual), and the seller claimed it was serviced and brought up to spec (certainly nothing looked dirty or leaking on the inside when I got it and no fuzz in the controls) and everything worked on it, but no, I have never truly checked that. As soon as I hooked it up I was surprised how dark it sounded, with an almost "liquidy" viscous bottom end: slow, syrupy, and thick...kind of nice in its own way (I found it nice for jazz) but not the sound I prefer. I never extensively tested the headphone jack, but it's SS matched the rest of the amp when I briefly used it. It's been sitting in the basement for about 2 years unused.

I wonder if it is a Kenwood thing as I've heard others describe their units in this way and my first receiver of any kind was a early 90's Kenwood I bought as a teen. It too always had a kind of dark sound with muted or rolled off highs I thought. I haven't listened to it in years though.

Yea, I should put up some pics of my cans itt; I have yet to take any pics of my gear actually (the ones in my user folders are not my pics). I never get around to it because I'm kind of a perfectionist about such things (I would have to clean them, make sure they are dust and smudge free, etc.) and would probably spend about an hour setting up a place to display them well and taking shots to find the best angle and such. (Yea I know, just snap a shot and post it you idiot!). Maybe someday...
 
just pic of my akg 240s being driven from my sansui 5000x receiver hooked up to my turtle beach soundcard on my gaming rig. the 240s's are now my main headphones. these sound absolutely amazing.

DSC00776.jpg
 
RangerXlt I just bought those cans myself. I also have their precursor the Hd202's which are my faves I always go back to. I find the 203's to be an improvement and a slight side-step to the 202's. But good nonetheless.
 
Back
Top Bottom