• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's see your cans!

For my main gear setup, I use these original AKG K240M ("Monitor") cans. They're the same pair I've had since I worked in broadcasting and production/recording in the 80s and early 90s. I've repaired the wiring many times, and they've seen years of daily professional use; still bringing me listening enjoyment after some 35 years or so! Lots of personal history with them, not to mention that, along with Sony MDR-V6's, they were used behind the scenes on so many recordings we all enjoy today.

P_20231220_100848.jpg

And at the computer, I have these -- Sennheiser GSP 500's. They were sold as a high-end gaming headset and the style sort of reflects that, but underneath they're said to use the same drivers as Sennheiser's HD 600's. And since they're a headset, they're using a high-quality Sennheiser mic element as well. I work from my home office as a server and cloud systems manager, and I have these on for a large portion of every day on conference calls. Always comfortable and non-fatiguing to wear for long periods of time. As a computer gaming headset, they've been criticized in popular for not having enough bass, but that seems to be a problem with the audio stages of many computers, not the Sennheisers. My computers are an ASUS laptop and a custom system with a high-end ASUS motherboard; they have high-quality audio stages with enough output power and impedance handling to drive them quite well -- no low-end issues that I've ever found. Although I've found that when I plug them into the computer, I should have the built-in volume control turned down somewhat to ensure that the automatic impedance-matching steps up to maximum amplification range (or go set it manually). At the "default" output from my computers, the sound will be thinner and with less low-end solidity (Still excellent as a communication headset, though, and this is how they behave when plugged into my work computer which is just a Microsoft Surface laptop.) Just another case where good cans need proper audio circuitry to drive them well.

P_20231220_100559.jpg
 
Latest addition to the collection, HFM Edition XS. I already had the original Edition X but was curious to see if stealth magnets and nano-diaphragmed made such a great difference. They do, and not just a little. The Edition XS sounds significantly different (as in better) than the Ananda and is hot on the heels of the Arya, with which it hares not only styling, but drivers and stealth magnets as well. Here's the uneventful unboxing which some people are fond of, but I take those pictures to insure that it I have to return them they'll be packaged exactly as they came. As it the case with HFM products as of lately they come in very plain packaging. No biggie, unless one is a collector of empty headphone boxes. To those I suggest going to Focal, they won't won't be disappointed. So here goes:

20240112_133803.jpg20240112_134430.jpg20240112_140928.jpg20240112_140943.jpg

Tomorrow we'll see how they sound. BTW the grills are solid yet light metal, I suspect a titanium-based alloy, cast aluminum would be much too heavy. A teaser: they cost $500 and at that price they can't be beat, imho
 

Attachments

  • 20240112_140928 (1).jpg
    20240112_140928 (1).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240112_134430.jpg
    20240112_134430.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1
Congrats on your Stax headphones @BrushedAl. I heard those cans at the Melbourne Hifi & Av show a couple of years ago with the matching Stax Reference headphone amp. First of all, the headphones are very comfortable. They sound fast and resolving, with well proportioned staging and imaging. Basically they're well balanced and non-fatiguing. I really liked them. Cost no object they would be on my short list, along with the Meze Elite, Hifiman Susvara, Audeze LCD-5 and Focal Utopia (2022).
 
At work (radio) everyone has their "personal" headphones...there's Sonys, Beats, you name it. I found a broken set of Sennheiser HD202s in the engineering junkbox and fixed 'em...now they're mine:) At home? Once in a while I plug in the Pioneer SE-305s I bought for my first Top-40 radio gig back in 1976. Still sound great!
 
These are the headphones that are currently being used in my studio. Back L-R: Beyer DT 880 600Ω; Beyer DT 990 Pro; Beyer DT 1990 Pro; AIAIAI Studio; Front L-R: Focal Clear Mg Pro; Sennhieser HD 660 s2; Grado 325e.

The Senn's are brand new. Took advantage of the $200 price drop. Beyer DT 1990's are great for mixing upper end detail. AIAIAI's are well isolated. Grados and DT 990's are for clients to use. Beyer DT 880's just work. If you can get a mix to sound good on them, you're almost home. 600 Ω version is different from other 880's.

I do the most critical work with the Focal Clear Mg Pros. The Mg drivers are angled and sound nearly like using studio monitors. I use Focal Shape 65 near fields with Mg tweeters which are perfect with the Clear Mg cans. I also have a pair of BW 705's and a REL sub for clients and for me to listen to vinyl.

There is no "good, better, best." They all do something specific that I like. The new Senn 660 s2's are voiced almost identically to the $1500 Focals. However, the Focals do imaging/instrument placement and create space like nothing else. Up/down/back/front/left/right/center--they are ridiculously good.

Love the new Senn's for leisurely listening. Sweet, much lighter than the Focals, lots of fun. $399 at the moment seems about right.


Studio-163.jpg

Edit: I have a large walk-in closet in my studio and this is the headphone area.


Studio-164.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom