• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's see your Nipper!

This one used to be up the street about a block from where I work:

47179878.jpg


It originally came from the RCA building in Baltimore. It is now at the Maryland Historical Society museum

Ah, I remember it well. It was originally part of the "Merrie Melodies Museum" on the small farm where it resided. That fellow had one of the world's largest collections of of calliopes, carousel organs, early "jukeboxes" which played real instruments, etc. For 4 bits you could see and hear it all. The auction they had after he passed away was unreal.

The farm has been replaced by a townhouse development, the road into it is "Nipper Drive".
 
Ah, I remember it well. It was originally part of the "Merrie Melodies Museum" on the small farm where it resided. That fellow had one of the world's largest collections of of calliopes, carousel organs, early "jukeboxes" which played real instruments, etc. For 4 bits you could see and hear it all. The auction they had after he passed away was unreal.

The farm has been replaced by a townhouse development, the road into it is "Nipper Drive".

Yep that's the place! I wish I could have gone to the auction. I was out of town that week. It really has changed around here.
 
Yep that's the place! I wish I could have gone to the auction. I was out of town that week. It really has changed around here.

<sigh> Yes it has. I grew up about a mile from there. Left for a long time, now I'm back. It's weird!

They also don't make music......... Oh never mind.
 
Here is the little guy intrigued by my speakers at the AKfest.

AKFest2012002r.jpg

That little guy is what inspired me to get one for here!

My cat walked up and sniffed him, hissed, and walked away. Sheesh ...

NIPPER.jpg
 
Resurrected Nipper

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to show everyone my resurrected "Nipper" recently brought out of hiding and back on display. I purchased him at an appliance store that sold RCA TV's, record players, and consoles sometime back in the sixties. He was a mass produced display item that I guess RCA either gave or sold to stores and I managed to convince the manager of such a store that I needed this particular "Nipper" much more than he did and so purchased him for some very nominal sum of money. During a move from Southern California to Northern California in 1988 he got a chunk broken out of his left side which got repaired but in such a haphazard manner that he was no longer, in my opinion, presentable and so he got put away. A couple of days ago, spurred on by an AK thread I saw about a "Nipper" doorstop that someone had found I retrieved him from his place of shame and in a few hours with some sandpaper and acrylic paint I had him almost as good as new.

Some might not know that "Nipper" and the "His Master Voice" logo were originally the property of the Berliner Gramophone company in Canada which later changed it's name to the Victor Talking Machine Company of Canada which, in 1929 was purchased by RCA, and hence "His Masters Voice" became the logo of RCA Victor.

I am including a shot of Nipper from the 60's sitting in front of one of my Altec Lansing 846A Valencia's which I sadly no longer have, and a couple of his current location in my music room in front of one of a pair of Infinity Monitor Jr's, and another showing the other Infinity's in the room and part of the the shelf unit containing most of my Sony ES collection, so he's in good company. There is also a nice front personality shot of himself.

The last two shots are of record labels with the "His Masters Voice" logo - one from Berliner and one from RCA Victor.
 

Attachments

  • Nipper_1965.jpg
    Nipper_1965.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 282
  • Nipper_Side.jpg
    Nipper_Side.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Nipper_Front.jpg
    Nipper_Front.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 346
  • Nipper_Full.jpg
    Nipper_Full.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Nipper_Berliner_Label.jpg
    Nipper_Berliner_Label.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Nipper_Victor_Label.jpg
    Nipper_Victor_Label.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I have a real Nipper....now I need a Victrola horn to put next to her!
 

Attachments

  • asusie.jpg
    asusie.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 157
Here's my two Nippers.

The first one's a little smaller than most. He's standing guard over the study/office system.

picture.php



This one is alive and well, and standing guard over the "on deck" beer.

picture.php
 
Another Nipper!

Got a new one. He listens to a Minimus 7W and stands guard over a Technics SL-J33:


picture.php


picture.php
 
Nipper framed

Nipper is a classic work of art, which is why he is framed above the living room stereo. Now, not everybody likes Nipper. My mother-in-law curiously removed this framed work of art from our living room when she came over for Christmas and stuck it in the back of a closet. But she is 86 years old and must be obeyed. Until she is shuffled back from whence she came.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom