• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's talk about Artificial Intelligence. Scared yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the lack of biological intelligence in Washington on both sides it scares the bagebes out of me !

Lest I get political (verboten) I'll simply say that common sense is not so common, ideals are no match for deep pockets, and scientists are simultaneously worried about AI development yet don't seem to mind helping it along.
 
Lest I get political (verboten) I'll simply say that common sense is not so common, ideals are no match for deep pockets, and scientists are simultaneously worried about AI development yet don't seem to mind helping it along.
As Mark Twain once said common since is not that common ! It is a valid concern and just like humans garbage In is garbage out ! Who’s setting up the A I can slant it or bias it s decision process !
 
The technocracy marches forward--AI will become s major feature of future society in a very negative role. On the commercial side, it replaces lower end jobs like phone operators, customer service people, and most of the humans you would normally interface with in business. Blech. Worse yet, it will become a lynchpin of national security and aggressive policing structures that will become a heavy burden on civil life.
 
The cat's out of the bag.
Just a matter of time before a situation like 2001's HAL 9000 happens. Self driving electric semi's around the corner medical procedures.
A couple years ago I had a cancerous tumor on one of my kidneys. Both actually, but one was pretty involved. They used a robot on me. It could actually tell the difference between healthy tissue and cancer in a much more detailed way than human eyes could. Still took most of my kidney whereas without it they would have just taken out the entire thing.
So there’s that.
 
Tide pods alone would have thinned the herd considerably. TikTok fame-grabbers would further lighten the idiot load.



Am I to take that you aren't scared yet about A.I. ?? Well, thanks for giving it significant consideration.

I have to believe it will be used to squeeze us further and further into self-restraining boxes both physical and mental.

More troubling, though not ncessarily (to me) frightening, is the expression of HUMAN ARTIFICE that's rampant @ this time.
 
Same Mystic... Interesting to see so many still around after all these years.. Still a little into music and sound still, but more into making it now than just listening.. and even then, I'm not good at making it. but a few synths and guitars and I can wake the dead now :)
Glad you popped back in here, Simi! How's things goin' on the "homestead"?
 
Kudos to @onwardjames for yet another enjoyable and thought provoking thread :thumbsup:

Thank you! I genuinely appreciate this comment.

A couple years ago I had a cancerous tumor on one of my kidneys. Both actually, but one was pretty involved. They used a robot on me. It could actually tell the difference between healthy tissue and cancer in a much more detailed way than human eyes could. Still took most of my kidney whereas without it they would have just taken out the entire thing.
So there’s that.

I am very glad you had a positive removal of that bad tissue. This is a situation where the accuracy of the equipment eclipses human ability, and that, to me, is a most wonderful thing, but likely isn't a threat to homo sapien dominance.

More troubling, though not ncessarily (to me) frightening, is the expression of HUMAN ARTIFICE that's rampant @ this time.

And here is just one of the many problems I wanted to cover. What does it mean to be human, and inversely, what makes something sentient or "aware"?

As the tech improves, we've gone from extremely crude prosthetics to unimaginably intricate and continually improving replacements. Visit a VA hospital and look what has been done. On the horizon is the Neura (sp?) brain link that Elon is working on, and he or someone will make it happen.

On down the road, people might be as much as 35% aftermarket, in ways we cannot even dream about today, perhaps even more.

Genetically hand-picked children WILL BE A THING. I have zero doubt of this. Why? Because the tech is already here, and someone will cross that moral threshold, selecting traits they'd like their kids to have (always advantageous, but one day, who knows?) and someone will get paid for it.

The singularity, what it means to actually be human, and runaway, logarithmic A.I. intelligence is what I'm really concerned with.

Could any possible A.I. ever come to a conclusion that humans are worth saving, considering our track record?? Asimov's 3 laws of robots is already out the window.
 
Glad you popped back in here, Simi! How's things goin' on the "homestead"?
Hey John. Great to see you're still here too... Things have been pretty good. the "homestead" sucks up so much of my time. Always something to get done... Worked about 4 years as a well tender, and everything around here started getting behind, and falling apart.

Wasn't the happiest with the way things were going with work, so I quit the end of June, and started working on everything around here again. Replaced three roofs, rebuilt my machine shed, finished building a party pavilion, and got a bunch of major mechanical work done on the tractor, backhoe, and trucks.. Now I start back working Jan 2 at a new place, and will have even less time for things around here, and I was just getting ready to add an addition to the house, but now time for the place will be non existent, as I hear I'll be doing much more than 40hrs a week...


LOL. I know that was more than you were asking for, be we are REALLY happy we made the move out here and wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again. :D

I hope things have been well with you!
 
Thank you! I genuinely appreciate this comment.


As the tech improves, we've gone from extremely crude prosthetics to unimaginably intricate and continually improving replacements. Visit a VA hospital and look what has been done. On the horizon is the Neura (sp?) brain link that Elon is working on, and he or someone will make it happen.

.

Actually. there are companies out there that are further ahead of Musk on this. There is a company that has already gotten people to walk that would never walk again, and another that are using prostetics with simply a thought from their mind, and working quite well... Right now Mush is under investigating because he's rushing and ruining experiments and killing more animals than needed... Funny.. he doesn't have time to do things right, but he has time to repeat experiments. He has always wanted to be first, and damn the quality.... He's even go so far as to try and buy the company that has gotten people walking again but they weren't interested.. I am glad Muck feels AI is dangerous, now if he'd just act like he feels, and quit trying to rush something he says is a dangerous thing...
 
Genetically hand-picked children WILL BE A THING. I have zero doubt of this. Why? Because the tech is already here, and someone will cross that moral threshold, selecting traits they'd like their kids to have (always advantageous, but one day, who knows?) and someone will get paid for it.

Perhaps elevating disadvantages to advantages. Or is it relegating advantages to disadvantages?
 
OK, didn't watch the vid...

Is this the one where the AI has obviously been coached to answer the question and also provide a "worst case scenario" alternate anser?

The post that mentions data retrieval is spot on.

"AI" is GREAT at that. That's how they know what to advertise based on browser history.

Some people think driving a car is "simply" data retrieval based on predefined roadway paths plus collision avoidance.

IT IS NOT. Has anyone noticed the hype and news stories on self driving has quieted down markedly in the past year?

Winning at chess IS "simple" data retrieval. All moves ever made in every combination and the outcome probability.

How long did that take? ...and what was the cost?

...and by a one of a kind, most powerful computer ever made!
 
And here is just one of the many problems I wanted to cover. What does it mean to be human, and inversely, what makes something sentient or "aware"?

As the tech improves, we've gone from extremely crude prosthetics to unimaginably intricate and continually improving replacements. Visit a VA hospital and look what has been done. On the horizon is the Neura (sp?) brain link that Elon is working on, and he or someone will make it happen.

On down the road, people might be as much as 35% aftermarket, in ways we cannot even dream about today, perhaps even more.

Genetically hand-picked children WILL BE A THING. I have zero doubt of this. Why? Because the tech is already here, and someone will cross that moral threshold, selecting traits they'd like their kids to have (always advantageous, but one day, who knows?) and someone will get paid for it.

The singularity, what it means to actually be human, and runaway, logarithmic A.I. intelligence is what I'm really concerned with.

Could any possible A.I. ever come to a conclusion that humans are worth saving, considering our track record?? Asimov's 3 laws of robots is already out the window.

Either way, I gotta feeling we'd still end up with KISS. Or at least Gene. Hell, maybe all of the band's members would be Gene.
 
Last edited:
IMO it seems like the most research lately has been done to make responses to inquiries more concise and easier to digest by humans.

The last "Is AI already smarter than us?" news cycle had a TON of redacted material spewed out by the AI for every question asked of it.

The presenters were able to "spin" the material they wanted to present the AI as having responded with.
 
If you're interested, I just read through this scholarly article about it's situation in healthcare.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fsurg.2022.862322/full

This thread, and this article have raised my untrusting awareness about this when coupled to human greed, ambition, and the need for power and control.

Hey, that's how progress was made.
A self-aware AI may need to have a (job to do) reason to exist. It may decide it has no job/purpose and shut down.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom