• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

most beautiful electronics of all time

One of the, what, three stereo equip pieces with a nixie readout? Scope only adds, never subtracts.
SAE MK6 tuner.

190e5d350107c53c44387825da2f9487.jpg
 
My only collectible calculator comes with a mechanical floating point switch.

It has a little startup problem (probably power supply capacitor worn out), but it still works.

View attachment 1878812
Very nice! I have a few early desktop calculators, including this Panasonic JE-1001 from 1973 which has its original carrying case and, apart from some dim segments in the VFD tubes, seems to work perfectly:
pana1001_1.jpg

pana1001_2.jpg

pana1001_3.jpg
pana1001_5.jpg
 
If we're moving beyond audio kit, the original DEC PDP-8 is a classic of design-- one of the first computers to look like an individual consumer product rather than a room-filling suite of furniture or industrial rackmount gear. I think you could very successfully sell an enthusiast PC with the same aesthetic today... put the guts in the bottom and discs and water-cooling facilities in the glass cabinet.
DSC_0763.JPG
 
If we're moving beyond audio kit, the original DEC PDP-8 is a classic of design-- one of the first computers to look like an individual consumer product rather than a room-filling suite of furniture or industrial rackmount gear. I think you could very successfully sell an enthusiast PC with the same aesthetic today... put the guts in the bottom and discs and water-cooling facilities in the glass cabinet.
View attachment 1887508
I have the control panel circuit board from a PDP-8m. Not nearly as pretty without the rest of it, of course... :rolleyes:
-Adam
 
I looked for this radio for a long time, but have never actually seen one. Probably not too many made their way into the USA from Germany. It was designed for the marine market and is known as the "rainbow receiver" because of the colorful tuning dial - the Siemens 745 E310.

Siemans_745_E310.jpg
 
Last edited:
Great thread, some gorgeous stuff here.

Question: When did it happen that tubes, which used to be inside cases, became the primary visual and aesthetic focus of audio gear? While much of it is beautiful, I tend to be sort of an old-fashioned form-follows-function kinda guy. Those showy tube amps strike me as a little silly.

I am very fond of 70's-early 80's Pioneer stuff, and that's basically my system. But I really love the look of the 60's Fisher receivers. This little 220 is the only one I have right now. Simple but elegant, imho.

20200604_204544[1].jpg
 
Great thread, some gorgeous stuff here.

Question: When did it happen that tubes, which used to be inside cases, became the primary visual and aesthetic focus of audio gear? While much of it is beautiful, I tend to be sort of an old-fashioned form-follows-function kinda guy. Those showy tube amps strike me as a little silly.

I am very fond of 70's-early 80's Pioneer stuff, and that's basically my system. But I really love the look of the 60's Fisher receivers. This little 220 is the only one I have right now. Simple but elegant, imho.

View attachment 1888216

Elegant, yes and timelessly so.
 
Back
Top Bottom