• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery Speaker II - Can you guess?

SONY, no baloney!

soundmotor, Yes they are! Ten bananas to you! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

They say made in U.S.A. which seems funny except that subcontracting and rebadging was common by 1975. The woofers in there clearly were off-the shelf parts.

Now the hard part...which model? :scratch2:
attachment.php


Susurus
 
Arkay, there are things that look familiar to me too. The grills, with those little loops and grill cloth, plus the chamfered cabinet edges, and even that yellowy color of the cabinet. Not that I've owned them, but probably saw pictures either here, or maybe Ebay.
 
Seems they did make an attempt to get an upscale 'bookshelf' product on the shelves, using nice cabs. Maybe for only a year? Google only gets 3 hits on the model number.

Once I refoam I'll see if they are deservedly obscure or a rare treasure :music: ...tentoze is right these are like center channels.

Anyway I cleverly covered the Model Number on this flyer below.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • badge1.JPG
    badge1.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 207
  • badge2.JPG
    badge2.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 207
  • badge3.JPG
    badge3.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 207
  • son1.JPG
    son1.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 216
  • son2b.jpg
    son2b.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 210
  • son3b.jpg
    son3b.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 220
  • son4b.jpg
    son4b.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 224
Drivers:

.75" dome - T-308 (1974)
2.0" dome - 4-C7 (1975)
10" woofs - W-526, cone 121-1005

Nobody guesses the model number by tomorrow night I'll post it (remember over 100 posts on Mystery Speaker I).

Then maybe Arkay and Goodwill won't have a cow, kfa888 won't lose interest, and I won't get banned...:uzi::yuck:


... and next week you get to try guessing Mystery Speaker 3!
:thmbsp:

Susurus
 
Then maybe Arkay and Goodwill won't have a cow.....

I don't know about having a cow, but I did just get done eating part of one. Maybe I'll have some deluxe mixed nuts next!

I love this game..... I need to find some mystery item. I've tried it a few times, but my stuff gets identified in the first post or two :tears:
 
Cool! I never would have suspected Sony but.....

I'm willing to bet that these are actually built-to-contract under the Superscope distributor's rights to use the Sony name. I note from the manual's pics that it was called, Sony Corp. of America.

Later models of Sony speakers were made in Japan once Sony's agreements with Superscope were concluded. This was about, IIRC, that the first Trinitron TVs hit the market, too, which really did put the Sony brand out in front of most consumers. Once that happened, it was a _lot_ easier to sell Sony receivers over Pioneer and Marantz.

Cheers,

David
 
Aaah So(ny)! So(ny) desu!

Rarely see vintage Sony speakers of any decent quality; that's probably why I couldn't place the cloth. They did make a few, though, some even with electrostatic/ribbon drivers. Mostly in limited numbers, and AFAIK only sold in Japan, unfortunately for the rest of the world. Give those speakers a listen; they may turn out to be rare treasures. The close-ups do reveal a very nice build quality, at least.
 
Back
Top Bottom