• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New C52 Review

Register to hide this ad
Ah, what is a little h between friends??

Ron-C

PS-I love my C52.
 
Last edited:
Very interesting indeed. Very nice SS pre! That's got me checking my checking account...

I may NEED one considering my C-48 had a problem today. Unit was cold, first fire-up of the day this afternoon. Stand-by light was on, but when I hit the button, nothing, absolutely nothing. Tried four times in a row waiting about five seconds in between. Unplugged the power cord, plugged back in, nothing. Unplugged all the XLR's, back in, nothing. About this time I'm beginning to wonder what McIntosh repair cost. Considering the cost of their units I'm thinking, Crap! The unit is about two years old and no, unfortunately I'm not the original owner. Just for sh!ts I unplugged the power cord from the back of the unit this time instead of at the power source. Guess what? She comes on! I danced the happy dance for ten minutes. I doubt it fixed itself permanently.
So, any guess's as to what happen?
 
I have seen this before. Sounds like the IEC power cord was not fully seated. If it is not pushed all the way in on your C48 then the standby power will light up but there will not be sufficient current to turn on the main power supply. I doubt there is anything wrong with the C48 but you can still buy a C52 if you want.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
I have seen this before. Sounds like the IEC power cord was not fully seated. If it is not pushed all the way in on your C48 then the standby power will light up but there will not be sufficient current to turn on the main power supply. I doubt there is anything wrong with the C48 but you can still buy a C52 if you want.

Thanks,
Ron-C


Yeah, now that you mention it I reinstalled my speaker cables after changing over the bananas. I may have accidently pulled on the power cord of C48. It sits just above the 452. She fired right-up this morning. I'll keep an eye on that. Yes, the C52 would be a sweet addition to my new 452, the bee's knees!

Hold the press's! What the heck, I'm sitting here and suddenly the amp turns itself off and the C48 and MR88 are still on? I don't think those two went off at all. I just turned the amp knob off and back on. It came on, but what the heck? The house lights didn't blink or go off. My PC didn't have a problem. lol, apparently the ghosts in my house don't like McIntosh. Geezs, what next?!

OK, I just did an interruption of power, on purpose. The amp comes back on the preamp and the radio do not. I wonder what happen when the amp went dead on it's own?
 
Last edited:
Hold the press's! What the heck, I'm sitting here and suddenly the amp turns itself off and the C48 and MR88 are still on? I don't think those two went off at all. I just turned the amp knob off and back on. It came on, but what the heck? The house lights didn't blink or go off. My PC didn't have a problem. lol, apparently the ghosts in my house don't like McIntosh. Geezs, what next?!

OK, I just did an interruption of power, on purpose. The amp comes back on the preamp and the radio do not. I wonder what happen when the amp went dead on it's own?

I believe the MC452 will power off after maybe 30 mins if there's no signal going in, but a 'Power Control' cable running from the C48 to the 452 will keep it on. Was there music playing when the 452 shut down, and do you have a Power Control cable between pre and power?
 
My MC452 has never powered off without signal going into it, but I do use the remote power control....

This thread is way off topic now, perhaps exhippy should start his own thread....
 
Looks like the C52 is a mature digital product too. Solving all the initial comments about USB and/or digital locking up.

I was all C1100 up to this point, but a Phono stage,DAC,EQ, and Preamp in one box is so simple!
 
Looks like the C52 is a mature digital product too. Solving all the initial comments about USB and/or digital locking up.

I was all C1100 up to this point, but a Phono stage,DAC,EQ, and Preamp in one box is so simple!
I'm very much sold on the C52......
 
My MC452 has never powered off without signal going into it, but I do use the remote power control....

This thread is way off topic now, perhaps exhippy should start his own thread....

My apologizes to you and Ron...
 
Last edited:
I believe the MC452 will power off after maybe 30 mins if there's no signal going in, but a 'Power Control' cable running from the C48 to the 452 will keep it on. Was there music playing when the 452 shut down, and do you have a Power Control cable between pre and power?

I'll risk replying considering my ***** are on the chopping block. It was in use at the time with the MR88 running. It just did it again, hours later, cold. No power control cable between. If you want to reply better do the inbox thing. I wouldn't want be responsible for a mutiny. Walking the plank sucks.
 
Last edited:
I'll risk replying considering my ***** are on the chopping block. It was in use at the time with the MR88 running. It just did it again, hours later, cold. No power control cable between. If you want to reply better do the inbox thing. I wouldn't want be responsible for a mutiny. Walking the plank sucks.
Hahaha, its not that serious.....We can't have a man down with his 452!!
I think you should check your power cables into the 452 and the 48, it easy for them to not seat properly and cause these sort of intermittent problems, the one on my MEN is a bit touchy, if I get behind there with my big arm and accidentally brush against it, the MEN will shut down on me......gotta make sure they're pushed right in.....
 
Power Control cables will keep the Mc452 powered on as it relies on the PC signal from the preamp to keep it on after 30 minutes.
Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Hahaha, its not that serious.....We can't have a man down with his 452!!
I think you should check your power cables into the 452 and the 48, it easy for them to not seat properly and cause these sort of intermittent problems, the one on my MEN is a bit touchy, if I get behind there with my big arm and accidentally brush against it, the MEN will shut down on me......gotta make sure they're pushed right in.....

OK, thanks. Yeah, I just checked connections 'cause it just did it again. This time I turned the knob to remote and back and power came back. Probably the big lesson learned here for me would be READ THE OWNERS MANUAL! lol, gee, seems so simple...

I was worried about the plank walking... I can't swim! lol, j/k!

Power Control cables will keep the Mc452 powered on as it relies on the PC signal from the preamp to keep it on after 30 minutes.
Thanks,
Ron-C

Thanks Ron, your right, (of course) about 30 minutes in and... that's all she wrote!




Although I've had this amp for a few weeks now this the first time it's been on for more than 30 min. I sent my speaker cables out for re-termination.


OK, thread hijacking over. Let's get the party started again. The subject matter is the new C52...
 
Back
Top Bottom