• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New McIntosh C52

Congrats! Very nice! I want one!

Question, you say your using PS Audio for power protection. Are you by chance using a P-3, P-5 or a P-10 ? The reason I ask is I'm using a P-10 and I think it may be "coloring" the sound. Maybe I'm not getting the "McIntosh sound" from my preamp/amp. It was a good deal that at the time I didn't want to pass on. I have a friend that'll buy it from me. I'm considering it.

A local dealer has/had a demo C52 for sale. I talked to them last weekend. We didn't come to a price I was comfortable with. My bitch was I spent about $8 grand here four years ago, where's the repeat customer loyalty? I told them I may be back and that my C48 works just fine.

.

Hey exhippy,

Just curious. Other than those blue eyes, what C52 features are driving you away from your C48? From everything I've heard, the C48 is excellent.
 
Hey exhippy,

Just curious. Other than those blue eyes, what C52 features are driving you away from your C48? From everything I've heard, the C48 is excellent.


Yes, the C48 is a wonderful preamp, but for the future...

The C52 supports- DSD 64, DSD 128, DSD 256 Plus- DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 354kHz

Unlike 99% of the people on this site I prefer digital to my hundreds of snap, crackle and pop records from the past. I'm not buying a bunch of new LP'S either. Have you heard a PS Audio memory player and a Direct Stream Dac? IMO the closest damn thing digitally you'll get to spinning a record. One day when they offer all or almost all the older music I like (1960's - 70's) I'll have a music server (not my PC.) full of high res., but they aren't there...yet. Yes, I am the minority and proud of it!

To all readers- (but the OP.) This isn't my thread, let's not start a discussion on my personal opinions about digital vs analog here. Thanks

.
 
Yes, the C48 is a wonderful preamp, but for the future...

The C52 supports- DSD 64, DSD 128, DSD 256 Plus- DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 354kHz

Unlike 99% of the people on this site I prefer digital to my hundreds of snap, crackle and pop records from the past. I'm not buying a bunch of new LP'S either. Have you heard a PS Audio memory player and a Direct Stream Dac? IMO the closest damn thing digitally you'll get to spinning a record. One day when they offer all or almost all the older music I like (1960's - 70's) I'll have a music server (not my PC.) full of high res., but they aren't there...yet. Yes, I am the minority and proud of it!

To all readers- (but the OP.) This isn't my thread, let's not start a discussion on my personal opinions about digital vs analog here. Thanks

.
Don't worry about hijacking my thread. I bought the C52 in order to be as current digitally as possible. I know something will come along and change the various ways we play music digitally but it is getting too expensive for me to keep up.

I too lost interest in listening to the pops and clicks of vinyl. I'm sorry if others have an opposing view. Back to a comment you made about your PS Audio equipment. I plug my power amp in directly into the wall socket. I have heard others say they do the same.
 
Back to a comment you made about your PS Audio equipment. I plug my power amp in directly into the wall socket. I have heard others say they do the same.

I do the same. Power amp and sub plugged into the wall, and all other low voltage components into a Furman power conditioner.

By the way, I'd love to have a C52 but I'm still very happy with my C48.
 
Keep the preamp and just update the DAC?

That's an idea, but the C52 has more updates than just the DAC section when compared to the C48. Yeah, there's always going to something newer, bigger and badder down the road, but as far as McIntosh goes and their single chassis SS pre's the C52 is still relatively new, so it'll be the big boy for awhile.

.
 
One question I have concerning vinyl vs cd is if vinyl supposedly sounds better, why do high end magazines mainly use cd's when judging the sound of speakers and electronics? I prefer cd's because I believe a well mastered cd sounds better than that same recording on vinyl. Never having owned a tube pre amp or amplifier, I can't state if tubes really sound better than solid state. I've always owned Mac solid state electronics, and I've never felt the need to go to tubes.
 
One question I have concerning vinyl vs cd is if vinyl supposedly sounds better, why do high end magazines mainly use cd's when judging the sound of speakers and electronics? I prefer cd's because I believe a well mastered cd sounds better than that same recording on vinyl. Never having owned a tube pre amp or amplifier, I can't state if tubes really sound better than solid state. I've always owned Mac solid state electronics, and I've never felt the need to go to tubes.
I think you will find reviewers like Fremer and Valin mostly use vinyl to assess equipment. It's not a point of whether SS or tubes sound better than each other. There are factors involved with each. Do you want to change out tubes from time to time or be maintenance free with solid state. Some say tubes have a rounder, smoother presentation. That is for each listener to decide. If you are happy with Mac solid state there is no reason to switch.
 
I think you will find reviewers like Fremer and Valin mostly use vinyl to assess equipment. It's not a point of whether SS or tubes sound better than each other. There are factors involved with each. Do you want to change out tubes from time to time or be maintenance free with solid state. Some say tubes have a rounder, smoother presentation. That is for each listener to decide. If you are happy with Mac solid state there is no reason to switch.

Fremer has never met a $10,000+ turntable he didn't like.
 
Fremer has never met a $10,000+ turntable he didn't like.
So what if he does? You made the statement that reviewers don't review with vinyl. That is an untrue statement. You can add Art Dudley and Robert Harley to the list.There are plenty of others out there if you do your homework properly.
 
So what if he does? You made the statement that reviewers don't review with vinyl. That is an untrue statement. You can add Art Dudley and Robert Harley to the list.There are plenty of others out there if you do your homework properly.

Sorry to upset you; vinyl people are so sensitive. Vinyl and tube people must be ultra touchy. Btw, I've actually met Fremer, and he's an arrogant jerk.
 
Imagine you are watching a movie and every here and then someone around you pop a soda, slurping a coke or blowing a bubble gum. Those noises are really spoiling the movie. The last time I owned vinyl was in the late 80. Those popping, hissing and crackling are really annoying like hell.
 
Sorry to upset you; vinyl people are so sensitive. Vinyl and tube people must be ultra touchy. Btw, I've actually met Fremer, and he's an arrogant jerk.
So what if he does? You made the statement that reviewers don't review with vinyl. That is an untrue statement. You can add Art Dudley and Robert Harley to the list.There are plenty of others out there if you do your homework properly.
37 posts and many of them snarky ... nice start. Around here, we typically treat one another with respect.
 
37 posts and many of them snarky ... nice start. Around here, we typically treat one another with respect.
I'm happy you read all 37 of my posts. You must be a fan. I pointed out to your friend MAC TED that many reviewers use vinyl instead of CD's to assess equipment. Your friend replies back that Michael Fremer is 'an arrogant jerk' and I am ultra touchy. And I am snarky? You might look up the word 'pompous' and look in the mirror.
 
Last edited:
Sorry to upset you; vinyl people are so sensitive. Vinyl and tube people must be ultra touchy. Btw, I've actually met Fremer, and he's an arrogant jerk.
Once again you don't address your statement that most reviewers use CD's over vinyl. That just isn't true. BTW, I am not a vinyl person. Your comment on Michael Fremer being an arrogant jerk undercuts anything you have said, in my opinion. Also, Fremer has given positive reviews to lower priced turntables. Go read his review on the new Technics turntable.
 
Respect? Not always. Especially when it comes to the vintage vs new(er) camps.




Damn! Another 15 pounds I could have a real amplifier...

Missed it by that much...:D

DonAdams.jpg

.
 
Back
Top Bottom