• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New McIntosh C52

Congrats! Very nice! I want one!

Question, you say your using PS Audio for power protection. Are you by chance using a P-3, P-5 or a P-10 ? The reason I ask is I'm using a P-10 and I think it may be "coloring" the sound. Maybe I'm not getting the "McIntosh sound" from my preamp/amp. It was a good deal that at the time I didn't want to pass on. I have a friend that'll buy it from me. I'm considering it.

A local dealer has/had a demo C52 for sale. I talked to them last weekend. We didn't come to a price I was comfortable with. My bitch was I spent about $8 grand here four years ago, where's the repeat customer loyalty? I told them I may be back and that my C48 works just fine.

.

Ahh that sounds like The Sound Room. Those guys are jerks for the most part. I also talked to them about the C52 and their moving sale. The wanted $5950 for the C52 floor model. How do you like your MC302? I want at least a C50 and a MC302.
 
Ahh that sounds like The Sound Room. Those guys are jerks for the most part. I also talked to them about the C52 and their moving sale. The wanted $5950 for the C52 floor model. How do you like your MC302? I want at least a C50 and a MC302.

Bingo! So, they tried squeezing another 50 bucks from you, figures. Funny, the salesmen didn't even know what a C52 was. I'm not kidding, when I walked in the door I immediately asked about the McIntosh C52 ( I had a phone conversation that morning with the manager.) He lead me to the room with the Mac gear and at first we walked past some A/V processors and then past a stack of two channel. He didn't know that a C52 was a preamp. I spotted it and knelled down to take a closer look, I said here it is, his reply, oh yeah as he turned around walking past it. I laughed to myself thinking you sell this audio equipment and you don't even know what the C52 moniker means? I offered $5700, they came back with "If you buy it today only." I told'm I don't play that game. I'm a repeat McIntosh buyer. You should offer that to me whenever I walk through the door....and you know the rest of the story...
I love the 302. It did and still does a fine job. It powered my JBL 240ti's with ease. When I bought the JBL 4365 monitors I was a little concerned about power, but the 302 did just fine. If your interested contact me about my 302. I'm using a MC452 now. If I pass-on my 302 I'm sure I'll pick-up a C52. Then I may have a C48 to pass-on.

.
 
Hi exhippy, am considering trading in a 302 for the 452.
Apart from being able to go slightly louder, how does it compare soundwise?
 
Hi exhippy, am considering trading in a 302 for the 452.
Apart from being able to go slightly louder, how does it compare soundwise?


I feel for the OP here. It's like he's lost control of this whole thing. I guess I'm partly to blame...


In my opinion the MC452 sounds better. It may have something to do with the Quad Balance of the MC452. I don't want to put the MC302 down. It's fine amp and I think a lot of people put it down for no reason other than they have a "bigger" amp.

You can also ask another member here, Kevzep, he also is running a MC452 amp. He's from New Zealand too!

I have to ask, do you own a Citroen? Are there a lot of Citroen's in New Zealand or is just one of your favorite cars?

Cheers!

.
 
Did @kevzep have a 302 to compare to?

Yes, my daily driver is a Citroen 2CV6 Charleston. I think that there are about 200 registered 2CVs in NZ. Probably more than there are McIntosh owners in NZ!
 
Did @kevzep have a 302 to compare to?

Yes, my daily driver is a Citroen 2CV6 Charleston. I think that there are about 200 registered 2CVs in NZ. Probably more than there are McIntosh owners in NZ!
.


No, I don't think Kevzep had/has a MC302.

I believe it depends on the speaker system your using too. For example my JBL 4365 monitors rated at roughly 300 watts worked just fine with the 302, but bringing in a "little" more power with the 452 really opened them up and allowed for their full potential to shine-through. Nothing wrong with more power and I can't say enough good things about the Quad Balanced system McIntosh uses.

After looking at some pictures of Citroen's I really like this one...

Citroen-Lightweight-Special.jpg

Speaking of your home country. My new favorite TV show. BTW, NZ looks to be a beautiful country!

US Newsletter header final click here.jpg

For some reason I can never pay attention to the recipes, I just keep looking at her!

annabellangbein_summer2013_perfectlambsaladchopping.jpg

Cheers!

.
 
Did @kevzep have a 302 to compare to?

Yes, my daily driver is a Citroen 2CV6 Charleston. I think that there are about 200 registered 2CVs in NZ. Probably more than there are McIntosh owners in NZ!

Nope, I never owned a MC302, have heard one though but not on my speakers, I went straight from the MC352 to the MC452.
So sorry but I cannot give any comparisons between the 302-452, except to say its a horrendous amount of money (in New Zealand) to invest in a upgrade which may not return as much improvement as you might expect considering what it will cost.

Brave man buying McIntosh in New Zealand, I just cannot justify the prices at the dealer here, I bought the MC452 in NZ but it was a tough job negotiating the price down to something vaguely reasonable, still a lot more money than I really wanted to spend, I'll never buy any more McIntosh here, waaaay too expensive......

I've lived in Auckland for 50 years and can't actually remember the last time I saw a 2CV.....I'm sure they're out there somewhere though....
 
re: 2cv

What a unique animal. I actually traveled from Germany to Holland in one as a teen. To this day, I've never seen another vehicle at which the manual gearbox selector came out of the dash like in a 2cv!
 
To EXHIPPY I have a ton of records that go back to my teen years that I played on some lousy and cheap record players, you know, put a stack on and let them play. I bought a used SAE 5000 impulse noise rejection unit off the bay for $125.00. Works great if you want to play those old discs again. I too,like you am not going to replace all those records when I mostly listen to digital stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom